Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-05-13, 04:18 AM   #1
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Anyone ever fish a Spro-Frog tournament?

I'm thinking of fishing one on the Mississippi River near where the Bass Masters has been the last couple of years. THough you can only fish a Spro-Frog, and winners have to submit to a lie-detector test?!!

I'm just a little worried what do you do if the top-water bite dies down... I guess you just keep throwing the damn frog and hope for the best!
Old 08-05-13, 09:50 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Pretty much,you can use different spro frogs,that have different actions,popin frog can be used around brush as well as grass and to some degree open water.The spro jr in black is a popular grass frog here.
And if cover is thick bass will stay under it long after the normal window for a topwater bite,may have slow periods but around noon to 1.30 will hit again as directly overhead.
Most have to squeezed out every so often to float,so when slow comes fish it just under,without squeezing,meaning slower and let fall at open spots,or like a wakebait.
The popin frog works with any braid,the spro jr and up take 50lb and up in order to walk right.So arm yourself with several types and several colors and sizes and to make sure dont take any other brand of frog with you.
Its not a new idea guntersville has several brand specific frog T,somewhat limiting,but interesting.
Dont even think of fishing one without it being on braid.Oddly in river systems 5lb catfish hammer them at times in the grass.
Bit curious when and where as love frog fishin,most likly a backwater thing on the big muddy dunno.
Shute looked it up ,in Iowa bit to far for me.Id jump on it if withhin 100 miles,the experience if nothing else will teach you something about the spro frog,pro T will do one next,generally do in same areas.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-05-13 at 10:05 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 12:33 PM   #3
bassboogieman

They have one on the Potomac, I've been there when it's going on but haven't participated basically because of the point you raise - I can't be limited to one style of fishing.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 11:54 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think that's an interesting idea, and I've never heard of it before. Is it normally scheduled during times of the year that frog fishing is optimal?
Old 08-12-13, 01:56 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Fish it on a C-rig!!
Old 08-12-13, 05:59 PM   #6
lilmule

Dont see why not just fish it fast,so they dont get a good look at it,stuff a worm in its mouth frogs do eat them.If I can crig a buzzbait and catch fish shurely one can with a frog.Or for that matter use a buzzbait like a spinnerbait carefull ive got pics of those fish caught.(Special made by me for me).Double barrel bass busters.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 06:20 AM   #7
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I fished the tournament last weekend... it was a lot of fun. We didn't do real well. The only thing ever mentioned about modifying the lures was they said no buzz-bait blades infront of the frog.

Neither me or my buddy had been on the Mississippi this year. Then we had a dead trolling motor battery on our pre-fish day and didn't spend more than 30 minutes on the water. During the touranment, we ended up fishing a lot of water that wasn't productive and tried to get to a couple spots where the water was just low enough that we couldn't make it through. (The Mississippi River backwaters can be like that) A day of practice fishing would have made a huge difference for us.

Still it was a fun tournament and we had our share of bites though our hook-up ratio was horrible. We both were fishing new frogs, and we didn't bend the hooks so they pointed out just a little (something I have done to my Spro Frogs in the past, but just plain forgot about.) It was a perfect Froggin' day, over-cast and drizzling rain on and off. When we were in good spots, we never really stopped getting bites until about 11:00 in the morning when the sun finally came out. Even if we had a better hook-up ratio, we weren't on big enough bass to place in the tournament.

There were around 70 boats with a $110 entry and 100% payback. They paid 9 spots from a couple thousand dollars for first and around $180 for ninth. First place ws 5 bass just over 15 pounds - they also had the big fish of the day at 4-1/2 punds. There were 3 or 4 other boats with over 14 pounds, and then a bunch with 13+ pounds. The tournament had some good free-bee's; we each got 2 Spro frogs, 2 Spro Tee shirts, A Spro hat and a window sticker. I can't imagine many tournaments that have 100% payout and give you two $10 frogs and two tee shirts!

I didn't mind fishing a frog all day. I don't even recall wishing I could throw something else. Maybe that would be different if it wasn't rainy and the top-water bite didn't last most of the morning. I'll certainly fish the tournament again next year if they have it!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.