Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-12-09, 12:25 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rod recommendations

I'm looking forward to the trip this weekend, so I decided I would celebrate by buying myself a new baitcasting outfit. I need to differentiate a little bit in my equipment, so I'm looking for opinions on what you think I ought to get. I'm not really looking for brand recommendations, but I do want your thoughts as far as rod action, length, reel speed, etc.

I have 4 baitcaster setups now, and a spinning rig. The spinning rig is 7', medium, 6.3:1 (I think) gear ratio. Baitcasters are all MH; 2 are 6'6", one is 7', one is 6'. All of the reels are somewhere around 6.3:1 ratio.

One hole I see in my arsenal is a cranking rig, although one of the 6'6" baitcasters does ok in this. What are your thoughts and opinions?Thanks...
Old 05-12-09, 05:22 PM   #2
bcklash

I believe a true crankin stick helps and also get a slower gear ratio reel, 5.2.1or so. I think it will help you.
Old 05-12-09, 05:49 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah if this rod is gonna be for crankbaits i would get a 7' m rod. that is all i throw my cranbaits on except for big square bills. a medium rod along with a slower gear ratio will really save your arms and the flex in the rod will keep a lot of hard pulling fish hooked up that might come off with a heavier rod.
Old 05-13-09, 12:54 AM   #4
Rebbasser

If you are throwing to primarily be throwing cranks go M action. I don't throw a treble hook bait on anything but M action with one exception, and that is a big, deep crank like a DD-22. Those I throw on a MH action.
Old 05-13-09, 10:50 AM   #5
keithdog

I have two outfits for crankin. I use a 6 1/2 medium action rod with a 5.4 ratio casting reel for each. Both are spooled with 12 pound line.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 11:14 AM   #6
MississippiBoy

Thanks for the help, guys. A 7' M rod with a slower reel is definitely on my wish list.
What other kinds of rods should I be looking at? A worm rod, frog rod, pitching rod...? I want to make sure I cover all my bases as much as possible with my next purchase since I'm not going to be buying any more rigs any time soon.
Old 05-13-09, 01:17 PM   #7
keithdog

You might want to consider a 7-1/2ft. heavy action casting rod with a good strong quality reel for froggin in heavy vegitation. A Garcia Revo would be a good choice of reel. You could also use this outfit for flippin/pitchin in heavy cover.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 03:14 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd get a 7' or 7'6" cranking rod. I Can't really suggest a brand though.

A low speed reel like the Abu Garcia Winch, Daiwa Zillion crazy cranker, or the low speed Curado.

BB
Old 05-13-09, 03:57 PM   #9
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think other than a crankin stick, which is well covered above, I would go with a rod for flipping/frogging. I feel that this is kind of a crossover area where you can use one rod for both when trying to save some bucks. I would go with a 7'6" H rod with a fast action and a good reel spooled with 30 lb braid. Looks like one might be a good idea for the meet, as the map shows lots and lots of brush piles. I am green with envy
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 09:18 PM   #10
3dkicker

MB - Write a list of the lures/techniques you fish, starting with the ones you use the most, and then see which rods you have that will work for each. (I post a couple of mine)

T-rig plastic - 7' St. Croix, 7'5" Loomis
Crankbait - 5'10" Custom, 6'6" St. Croix S-glass, 6'6" St. Croix S-glass
Topwater - 5'10" Custom, 6'6" Gator (Spin)
Spinnerbait/chatter - 6' Loomis, 6'6" Castaway
Jig - 6'10" Shimano, 7'5" Loomis
Swim bait - 6'10" Custom
Drop Shot -

Then fill in the blanks. If you don't have a crankbait rod then that's what you should get. (as you can see I have a couple that overlap two techniques)
Next you can find a rod that meets the specifics of that technique that you use most often. Or try to find one that meets the need for multiple techniques. It's up to you. I'd double up on a T-rig that might double as a frog rod before I ran out to get a drop shot rod.
Old 05-18-09, 04:22 PM   #11
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

Soft plastics (texas rig( & jigs - 7' MH Baitcasting.
Crankbaits - 7' M Spinning or Baitcasting.
Spinnerbaits - 6'6 MH Spinning or Baitcasting.
Finesse wormin' - 7'6 ML Spinning.
Large swimbaits - 7'10 H Baitcasting.
Smaller swimbaits (soft or hard) - 6'6 M action Baitcasting or spinning.
Charles Slone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 04:25 PM   #12
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh and for the crankin' rod, it depends on WHAT kind of cranks. For heavier 1/2 oz. cranks, I LOVE a 7'-7'6 MH action Baitcasting set up. For overall, i like a 6'6 spinning combo.
Charles Slone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 07:56 PM   #13
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

7 foot AiRRUS Copperhead Cranking Stick...the best crankbait rod on the market.
If you've got enough money get a slower reel to go with it...like a 5:31....
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 10:31 AM   #14
Bassboss

What ever the case, if you get a combo for flipping/frogging, you'll need a 7' - 7'6" MH - H action rod with a fast tip, and a reel with a fast gear ratio (6.2:1 or higher), and a heavy drag! Revo's have great drags, making them ideal for frogs and flipping! I would go with some 50lb + braid to go on the reel!
Old 06-10-09, 11:47 PM   #15
bassinbob

I fish a lot of frogs and I am satisfied with a 7ft. MH. I use either my Kistler or my Powell. The Kistler has a Curado and the Powell has a Revo. I haven't caught any bass over 5lbs with either and i feel that a heavy rod is too much for northern waters. Down your way where you might latch on to a real hog you might want a heavy rod. Any longer rod I feel isn't necessary as to the fact if you have to launch your frog that far chances the bass is going to be tough to haul out. The heavy rod might enable you to drag the fish over the top of all the slop or pads but a larger fish is going to give you a real fight. You might be dragging a ton of weeds in with that fish. So it's your call.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.