Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-13-09, 01:36 PM   #1
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

Default nothing works

Hey guys I'm new to bass fishing this year and iI have tryed alot of diffrent things and I still have not caught a bass. I have tryed jigs,soft plastics,crank baits,lipless crank baits, top water baits,spinner baits and just plan live worms. nothing works. I am fishing from a bank cuz I don't have a boat yet. Could someone please give me a few tips and maybe tell me what i might be doing wrong with the gear I have already used.
odinbassgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 02:51 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

So looks like you're in a bit of a tuff situation ah!

Well, one thing I do when the bass are not biting is to change my retrieve speed! Mix thing up, if I'm using a spinnerbait, I'll start off with a fast retrieve, almost a burning style! if that won't work, one thing I'll try before I switch baits, is to slow down, ro speed up, most of the time I slow down. If that dose not work, I'll try something else, or a different color. I'll change color especially if I'm using a slow moving bait, such as a worm or jig!

9/10 times the reason I wont be catching fish in my speed is off.

~hope this helps, good luck and good fishin!
Old 05-13-09, 03:07 PM   #3
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First off, welcome to the forum!

Okay, I have been in your situation when I first started getting serious about bass fishing, and yes it can be VERY frustrating! It took a while for me start catching some good bass, and Im still working on it to this day!

First of all, what is the water clarity of the area you are fishing? Lure color selection is key to producing more strikes and retreiving of bass. Also, try finding out what type of bait fish the bass are feeding on. If their primary food source is Shad, then obviously you would want to choose a shad color pattern for your lures.

Another thing you need to consider is the area pressure. Meaning that is the area you fish is ALWAYS being fished? A highly pressured area doesn't seem to produce much (if any) bass.

Learn different techniques in fishing different lures. There are plenty of guys here that are willing to help a fellow angler in their time of need.

Trust me, once you get a boat (I assume you will be getting one b/c you said "I don't have a boat...YET') it will be a lot easier to locate and catch bass.

As for now, just keep goin' at it. It's a "wall" that every angler must overcome. Even though at times it may seem hopeless, times WILL get better.

Good Luck.

stevomac
Old 05-13-09, 05:07 PM   #4
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you for your tips guys. I will try to vary me retrive speed on my lures. and the water were I fish is staind. it almost looks like cider water but it's not as dark.
Old 05-13-09, 05:26 PM   #5
stevomac59

Then you want some flash in your lures... try blue/chrome rattltraps or black/chrome cranks. Black w/flor. tail worms.
Old 05-13-09, 05:32 PM   #6
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

ok thanks. I goin out in the morning so i'll stop at gander mnt on the way and get so flasher baits.
Old 05-14-09, 05:35 PM   #7
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One thing i can't stress enough is to completely fish an area , it could take 15 casts with the same bait before a fish hits it . I would put more attention to learning your baits , how they feel on the fall and how they feel coming through the water or bumping across the bottom on your retrieve . One mistake people tend to make when they are learning is switching out their baits after every couple casts and not really waiting it out . The only other thing i could say is look for a small or large pond in your area and start out there hooking a couple will help build up your confidence .

Jim
Old 05-14-09, 05:40 PM   #8
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks that is a good tip. I went to day and fished nothing but cranks and i landed 5 bass! my first fish of the year.
Old 05-14-09, 05:42 PM   #9
Jim80

congrats man

Jim
Old 05-14-09, 06:03 PM   #10
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks i'm pritty happy about it. the only thing that sucks about it tho is i lost 2 cranks.
Old 05-14-09, 06:15 PM   #11
stevomac59

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinbassgod View Post
thanks that is a good tip. I went to day and fished nothing but cranks and i landed 5 bass! my first fish of the year.

I told ya cranks are the way to go
Old 05-21-09, 09:54 AM   #12
toppwatr

another way it could help is to make sure your not fishing in places like "fishing peirs" or " fishing docks" because those places are so hammered the fish have been caught like five hundred times with like 300 deifferent lures. it may cost a hike or long walk but once you get to a good spot keep quiet...lol
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 09:46 PM   #13
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

I went out today and didnt catch a thing, again. I used a pop-r. Then a small weight, bobber, and 2/o hook. I tried "gummy worms", catfish dough, and shrimp. I spent the most time using a spinner. Nothin. I actually watched fish swim around my spinner and go about their business. I just wanna catch something besides that one blue gill.
Old 05-28-09, 09:58 PM   #14
bcklash

"Failure is the path of least persistence"

Hang in there girl it will happen.
Old 05-28-09, 10:20 PM   #15
bamabassman

happens to me ALOT girl. like lash said, hang in there, it will happen for ya.
Old 05-28-09, 10:33 PM   #16
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl
Talking

Oh, I'm not gonna quit. Just looking for support, some tips, and friends to show the pictures to when I finally catch a big one.
Old 05-28-09, 10:34 PM   #17
bamabassman

atta girl. that is the way to think. keep plugging girl.
Old 05-29-09, 08:41 AM   #18
MississippiBoy

When you're fishing with an artificial worm, don't use a bobber. Put on one of the slip weights, the cone-shaped ones, before you tie on the hook, then put the worm on there.
Old 05-29-09, 09:32 AM   #19
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Look for ANY visible structure.Overhanging trees,bushes,blowdowns.A twig sticking up out of the water.Weed lines are also good,look for small patches of isolated weeds.Anything submerged.
Go to basics.I know the old timers will say"*sigh*here he goes again".
Soft plastics will be the way to go.
THE SECRET TO CATCHING BASS is there is no secret.Try a senko type bait first(PRO TIP #1:Red Shad is the way to go).Rig it wacky style,if there are a lot of snags or you are a beginner I would suggest using a weedless hook.Cast to your target,let the bait fall to the bottom.Shake the bait a little with the rod tip after if settles on the bottom,drop the rod tip and take up slack,lift your rod tip to about 10:00 and let fall,repeat 2 or 3 times.Cast again.What I like to do when casting to a target is skim the bait along the top till it hits the target and let it fall.Sometimes I'll cast beyond the target if possible and work it back with the lift/drop and shake until I'm beyond the target.
The senko type baits are very versatile when wacky rigged.
If you know where dropoffs are cast to that.(PRO TIP #2:to identify a dropoff,look for bottom color transitions)
What I do is skip the bait out past the drop off and work it back near middle of the water column.I do this by keeping the rod tip up and reeling very slowly sometimes shaking the rod tip.(PRO TIP #3:ALWAYS watch your line,if you see any movement take up slack and set the hook.
Your hookset depends on what type hook you are using.If you use a circle type hook you must not hit hard.A sweeping steady hookset is the way to go.All other hooks,cross their eyes.
I have had to cast to a target over 2 dozen times to get bit.Never make just one cast and move on.If it looks like a place a bass would be,chances are there is one there.
(PRO TIP#4:If it's windy,throw a white spinnerbait)

Also...Kevin has a wealth of info on his website.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.