Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-25-09, 08:18 PM   #1
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl
Default New to fresh water fishing

I just went fresh water fishing for the first time this weekend, and to be honest, though I grew up at the beach, I have probably fished less than 20 times in my life. Does anyone have tips for someone who is just starting out? I love it, but I dont know what kinds of fish are where, or what a lot of the tackle is for. I hate even admitting that, but how would i learn, right?
Old 05-25-09, 08:26 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First of all welcome to the site there are some of the nicest people on the web here . As far as learning nothing replaces time spent on the water , I would start by getting a small selection of plastic and rubber baits a couple spinnerbaits , and some crankbaits . You don't have to get them all at once but pick them up as you can. then get to know the body of water you are gonna be fishing , look for tree stumps areas of lily pads and the likes and fish them . just completely fish the area and try not to fall into cast 3 times and then change your bait trap . Spend some time with each type of lure and learn how to work it and how it feels in the water , and don't be afraid to ask questions most anglers are more than willing to share some knowledge . again welcome to the site jump in and make yourself comfy .

Jim
Old 05-25-09, 08:32 PM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Welcome to the boards c_g! Gotta agree with basically everything Jim said. Always fish the cover, especially when you don't know the lake. Shallows in the morning, moving deeper as the day warms up, then back into the shallows in the evenings.
There's a "Fill my newbie tackle box" thread in this forum with tons of good info.
As far as fillin that box.....SALES SALES SALES!!!!!
And of course......throwing this out there for the non believers......you know who you are.......BASS PRO SHOPS XPS NITRO MINNOW! lol
Have fun both here and on the water
Old 05-25-09, 08:40 PM   #4
bamabassman

WELCOME TO THE NUT HOUSE ! so glad to see a lady join in. my wife has joined in as well. mrs. bamabassman. as jim said, these are the greatest group of guys around. we'll help you out as much as we can (some more than others,lol). jim hit it on the head saying get yourself a nice small number of plastics and spinners and cranks. be ready to feed the bait monky, for you my dear are now the monkeys fodder, haha. it is a joke ok?
being from norht carolina, there are quiet a few in your area that can pinpoint your tackle needs better than i. zooker is one of the best up there. but i know that i am leaving others out. sorry gang time is short. tell us where your are fishing, for example, are you fishing a pond or a large lake? river or inpoundment? this will help the gang out on helping you out. do NOT give up after you have tried and not caught anything, like everything else. this talkes time and practice.
post your catches. we LOVE to see pics of fish. and don't mind some of us, see we are a bunch of crazies here. we mean no harm, we just love to fish and crack jokes.
look around the site. the search button is your friend. look at the pics of everyones catches. your reading will help you out a whole lot.
ask anything you want and do NOT be afraid to ask ANYTHING. we may have heard it all before, but we will answer you cause you are new to this wonderful sport.
and above all..............HAVE FUN!
Old 05-25-09, 08:42 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
WELCOME TO THE NUT HOUSE ! so glad to see a lady join in. my wife has joined in as well. mrs. bamabassman. as jim said, these are the greatest group of guys around. we'll help you out as much as we can (some more than others,lol). jim hit it on the head saying get yourself a nice small number of plastics and spinners and cranks. be ready to feed the bait monky, for you my dear are now the monkeys fodder, haha. it is a joke ok?
being from norht carolina, there are quiet a few in your area that can pinpoint your tackle needs better than i. zooker is one of the best up there. but i know that i am leaving others out. sorry gang time is short. tell us where your are fishing, for example, are you fishing a pond or a large lake? river or inpoundment? this will help the gang out on helping you out. do NOT give up after you have tried and not caught anything, like everything else. this talkes time and practice.
post your catches. we LOVE to see pics of fish. and don't mind some of us, see we are a bunch of crazies here. we mean no harm, we just love to fish and crack jokes.
look around the site. the search button is your friend. look at the pics of everyones catches. your reading will help you out a whole lot.
ask anything you want and do NOT be afraid to ask ANYTHING. we may have heard it all before, but we will answer you cause you are new to this wonderful sport.
and above all..............HAVE FUN!

Speak for yourself
Old 05-25-09, 10:31 PM   #6
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, we went a couple of places that were off of a river. Then to a pond that's on Camp LeJeune. As far as tackle goes, My dad gave me an old tackle box today thats full of hooks, line, weights, and bobbers. I know how to use those, but its the lures that I don't understand. I don't know what they are all for, and wouldn't a fish be more attracted to real bait than those scentless gummy things? How do I find out what kind of lures or bait attract what kind of fish? At the pond we were using worms, but i put a little piece of fish on and got what my friend said was a sunfish. THAT was all any of the 3 of us got. We're all girls that went, Marine Wives. Made me mad too cause i could see a dark fish a little ways off that was as big as my arm. We figured it was probably a catfish. What is the best stuff to use for Catfish and Bass?
Old 05-25-09, 10:59 PM   #7
bamabassman

lol, those little gummy things are most likely worms mrs. and tell your husband we all said thank you for your service first and formost. we are in debted to him for his service. the little gummy things like i said are most likely worms. they work very well in a pond ma'am. you will need to learn how to texas rig it using a worm hook, perferably a 4 or 5 aught hook, a 1/8 ounce weight. someone here will post a pick of the texas style rig for you. i am not puter savvy enough to do such things, sorry. puter dumb see, have a hard time posting anything here,lmao.
now if oyu are fishing for catfish in a pond, the BEST bait to use in MY opion is chicken livers. take an old pair of oyur nylons, cut them into 2 inch squares, take a piece of chicken liver, tie up the live in the nylon, hook it to your hook whichis tied onto your line and throw it out. let it sink to the bottom. when it starts to move..........JERK his jaws out, haha. then reel it in. easy i promise.
the "sunfish" as you refered to it is what is normally called a bluegill, or as we say "gills". earth worms, crickets and such are great baits to use for these feisty little fighters. lotsa fun to catch and some folks love them on the plate as well. take a bobber, tag it onto your line (depth is according to how deep your wanting to fish), put a small hook on, hook up your worm (live worms, get em at the bait store) or cricket (sotre bought as well ), throw it out and watch for the bobber to go down, pay attention cause it will bob a few times and the fish has eaten your bait before you can hook it. when the bobber goes down, snatch the jaws again, just not TOO hard,lol. practice will learn you on when to set the hook and so forth. it's alot of fun. only hard part is baiting your hook. some ladies (maybe not you gals) don't like messing with slimy things and hooking em on ahook. gets kinda messy ok? have a rag and towel handy for this.
now for the bass fishing. well............. there are a lot of things you can use and different ways to use the exact same lure/bait. one of my favorite baits in a pond is the gummy worm,lol. or as we call it, plastic worm or lizards. take a trip to your local bait shop or wall mart. ask the folks there to help you find the right bait for what you are looking for. i like to use lizards mostly now.in a pond the best color i would think is maybe a watermelon seed color. it will have this on the package. get some 4 and 5 aught hooks. some weights (bullet style work best cause they look like a bullet and go through the grass without getting hung up too much. also a great bait is the crank bait. ol zooker is the pro as well as a few others on this bait, he can tell you what color combo to use on these. a white spinnerbait is also a fantastic lure to use on a pond. also there are topwater baits i like for a pond, jitterbug, pop-r's, devil horse and s forth. like i said earlier, read through this forum. look at everything you can. i know it will be time consuming, but it will pay for itself in the end.
please wait for some others to respond as well. i ain't the greatest, i just try real hard. i live (for now, gonna move soon) right by lake guntersville. i caught a 4#14 ounce bass today using a zoom 7" lizard. color was punkingseed with a chartruse tail on a 5 aught gammy hook with a 1/8 ounce bullet weight. also caught 2 others weighing just over 2 pounds. not saying this to brag, just an example of what kind of bass YOU can catch as well.
have fun and ask more questions.

also if you can post a picture of the pond. all over the pond. we will help you pick out a spot to fish and tell you what we thing you could cast to catch that BIGG OL BASS.
Old 05-26-09, 12:08 AM   #8
NWOhioBear
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NWOhioBear

I swore I posted here lol

Well reposting. Take your time read through the new fishing forums for a bit. I spent a whole day just surfing the site. Follow links look at stuff. Then look up stuff you don't know. Then look up the stuff you don't know in the stuff you don't know ( hey I do). Then when you find something you will be interested in add it to favorites or write it down then research that. ..

Like for me it was first texas rigs. I looked'em up made up a few bought some worms was happy ! so excited to go fishing. Went out all day caught nothing. Then I did it again the next day. 3rd day I said hey what else is in here oh crank baits those look cool! Asked about them (they teased me) found out what I wanted to know looked up a bunch bought a few and then been having fun ever since.

I'm a newbie like you these guys know their stuff. I just know how to have fun. I rock'em in that category. I got the sunburn to prove it. I will post that later.
NWOhioBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 01:09 AM   #9
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Talking

I've heard of bluegill a lot from people talking, and in country songs. haha, but I didn't know that's what it was. My friend said "sunfish" and seemed like she knew what she was talking about so I took her word for it. I found the page where that guy, Kevin posted all the how-to videos, and I watched them all. One of them was the Texas rig you were talking about.

Oh, and don't let my ignorance fool ya. I may not know much about the technical aspect of fishing, but i don't have a problem getting messy. Nobody else will be baiting my hook. lol
Old 05-26-09, 01:21 AM   #10
MississippiBoy

Sunfish, bluegill, bream, red ears...they're all panfish, which just means they're similar in shape to a frying pan (or that they're just meant to be in a frying pan, not sure which). Bluegill or bream is what they're usually called around here. There's probably some difference in each species, but they're really so similar, I don't see the point. They're usually caught the old-fashioned way, with a hook, bobber, and cricket or worm as bait. They're definitely fun to catch, are usually plentiful, and taste great.

Welcome to the site, and don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have. Also, don't forget about the "Search" button near the top of each page in the blue header bar. It can be your best friend.
Old 05-26-09, 02:00 AM   #11
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, It looked just like that top one you posted
Old 05-26-09, 10:07 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Panfishing is a great way to start into fresh water fishing. From there, I'd move on to bass. I've heard there can be a lot of crappie fishing done around NC.

BB
Old 05-26-09, 10:10 AM   #13
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, I hear a lot of people talking about black crappie. I really want to catch bass. I just need to find out how to get started.
Old 05-26-09, 02:36 PM   #14
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

welcome to the site and the forums. I'm new to bass fishin myself and i can say that these guys will help u out %100 with what ever they can. some thing i foundout the hard way with bass fishin is that u might now always get a fish on every trip but dont let this get u donw of put u off bass fishin some times it takes some time before u start hookin up with the monsters that are largemouth bass. just take ur time and have fun.
Old 05-26-09, 03:16 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

welcome to the site, it's always nice to see ladies getting into the sport. everyone on here has spinnerbaits and texas rigged soft platics are great baits for beginners to get a lot of bites. just remember to set the hook hard, have fun, and ask all the questions you need to.
Old 05-26-09, 06:29 PM   #16
bamabassman

can you post a pic of the baits you have? this will help us help you on how to use them.
Old 05-26-09, 06:47 PM   #17
Jim80

I remember when i first started to bass fish about all I believed in throwing was a spinnerbait I would head out with four rods all of which had one tied on . I caught fish but was really one dimensional for a while. Crankbaits and plastics came next and while i mostly throw some sort of soft plastic bait most the time these days almost everything i have will get used throughout the season . One bait that i was really slow to learn was jigs sometimes it is a painfully slow way to fish but produces fish in almost any condition .

Jim
Old 05-26-09, 10:07 PM   #18
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Old 05-26-09, 10:10 PM   #19
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Those are the things that I bought today. I looked for watermelon seed on those bas assassin lures "gummy worms" lol. But they were out so I got red shad/green gl . The other colors were neon. These were the only brand that said they were floaters, and they advertized "tournament winners choice"

OH, and guys, Im REALLY sorry about the pictures being so bad. My husband has my camera right now so I had to use the webcam. If you have a hard time seeing, please feel free to ask me for details.
Old 05-26-09, 10:24 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

Ok, not bad for a start. There's some potential here...

Top left pic...is that a dragonfly? I'm guessing it floats, although I've never seen a lure like that before. If it does float, just cast it out by some cover, like a stump, downed tree, etc. and twitch it lightly every now and then.

Top right pic, the spinnerbait...that's a very versatile lure, you can do all kinds of things with it. Keep your rod tip up and reel quickly, so that the blade makes a bulge on the surface but doesn't break through. Or cast out and let it sink till it hits bottom, then retrieve slowly, just off the bottom, so that you can just feel the blades turning. Or cast and retrieve at a medium speed, and pop the rod every now and then, to give it an erratic motion. If you can, get it to bump into the stumps, rocks, branches, or other cover you may have out there.

You've probably got the "stinkbait + treble hook" thing figured out, so I'll skip those. If not, say so, and I or somebody else will come back and help.

Second pic from the bottom, on the left...that's a topwater popper, it'll float. Cast close to cover, and let it sit till most of the ripples have gone away. Then twitch it a couple times to make it spit...you're looking for kind of a BLOORP sound. The best way to do that is on a slack line. Point the rod at the lure, then pull down and to the side sharply, just enough to snap the slack out of the line and move it a few inches. Repeat once or twice, then let it rest. You won't use the reel to retrieve it, just to take in the line as your popping brings it slowly closer to you. Or, bring it in quickly by doing a bunch of those BLOORPS and taking up the slack quickly with the reel. Sometimes the fish want slow, sometimes they want it fast.

That sounded a little dirty. If anybody emphasizes that, I'm sorry, it's not my fault.

With the worms, Kevin has a good video on how to rig it. I'll post a link to it here.

http://www.bassfishin.com/video-tips/texas-rig/

You said those are floaters, right? Twitch them over the top of the cover, and let them rest some between twitches. Or twitch them in fast right on top of the water. Again, let the fish tell you what they want.
Old 05-26-09, 10:30 PM   #21
bamabassman

ok, what type of rod and reel are you using? open face or some call em a spinning reel. zebco 33 combo. the zebco reel is the push button type of reel. the cajun line is good for the push button reel and the open face/spinning reel. but i would go with at least 10 pound test line. the mustad hook are a 2aught. you'll need a 4 or 5 aught for the bass assins worms. you have seen how to texas rig a worm. so rig it up, cast it out and SLOWLY crawl it, bounce it back to you. when you see the line starting to go away form you, you have a fish. JERK his jaws out, that is setting the hook. then hold on and bring it in. sometimes you won't feel the bite on a worm or lizard. sometimes they will jerk it outta yer hands,hahaha. try different ways to bring in the worm till you get a bite. you're gonna miss alot of fish till you master it, so don't get mad like i do,lmao. it'll happen, give it time and practice. in the pic above the worms is a pop-r bait, top water. cast it out and let it sit a min, then a little pop,set,pop etc. great bait early in the morning and late evening for bass. i like the spinner bait as well, it's a little small for a big bass. the thought on that is the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish. get one that is at least 3/8 ounce in weight it will be on the package. and there are a LOT to choose from. for now keep it simple, get white in color and larger blades. willow blades are good they are kinda skinny compared to what you have, which is a colorado blade. and it is small too. the blades give off a vibration that alerts the bass and they start looking for it. draws them to the bait. the bigger the blades, the more vibs given off. cast out the spinnerbait, it will sink kinda fast. reel it in fast or slow though not too slow cause it will hang up on something if you go too slow. sometimes a bass will hit it just as it hits the water, sometimes you'll cast it a thousand times all over and not get a nibble. but when you do, you'll know,lol.experment with your colors as you get into these baits. also try different color worms. remember this....the clearer the water the lighter in color the bait. for example; real clear water (put in the tip of your rod, how much can you see under water? 3 feet? that is CLEAR water, use white, yellow,pink,green, light browns etc. muddy water use darker colors, black, dark brown etc. others will post different things. do NOT over think the situtation. many of us are prone to do this,hahahaha. hence we lose focus. yes i do too. the more you learn, the more you'll do this. but it's ok.
now as for the dragon fly lure....never seen it before. can't answer you on that one. and the catfish bait is ok i think. see i never catfish anymore. and when i did...... it was back in the stone ages, lmao. the best bait for me catfishing is still chicken liver.
so, now that you have seen the videos from kevin (yes that is the man hisself), and oyu know some basic things. i think you are well on your way nice lady. hope you have fun and post up you catches. we overthinkers and underacheivers love to see pics of fish catches.
Old 05-26-09, 10:34 PM   #22
MississippiBoy

John, you talk too much...LOL
Old 05-26-09, 10:36 PM   #23
bamabassman

i know, i know......hahahahahaha. just trying ta help. forgive me.
Old 05-26-09, 10:46 PM   #24
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

I had never seen a dragonfly either. its made by calcutta. its 2 inches and says excellent for all species. It cost less than 2 dollars so I figured I'd give it a shot. I've seen a lot of calcutta, but never realized it was a local company until now. The site is www.calcuttafishing.com I think most of their stuff is for saltwater, but Im not sure.

Last edited by cakalaki_girl; 05-26-09 at 10:53 PM.
cakalaki_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 10:51 PM   #25
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

How do you attach the spinner bait to your line?

Do you use bait in addition to any of these lures? I know that's probably a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure.

What lures should i use weight with, and how much. should I use a bobber with any of them? I dont know what is for top or bottom feeding.

Im about to post pictures of what was already in the tackle box that my parents gave me

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.