Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-26-09, 11:17 PM   #26
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

I forgot. I bought these bobbers too. Im seriously about to post everything else. bare with me
Old 05-26-09, 11:31 PM   #27
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Old 05-27-09, 11:09 AM   #28
rodman rat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ok Here goes from girl to girl! BIG LIVE BAIT = BIG LIVE BASS!! i have posted many pix of big fish, so believe me when I tell you this! Lures work (after 2000 cast one fish) but not like live bait! With that said bobbers and lures do not go together. You only need bobber for live bait. You can always use hooks, line and sinker for worms (gummy things) should look for lizzard gummy things they work well.
1&4 are topwater (guys have already said about those)
2,6,&7 are swim baits just tie them on and try different retrivals
5 looks like a kit that bass pro made with swim bait and you can add things to make spinner and top water the kit was about 12 (I have 2)

All the gear can get pricy! If you just want to go with your girlfriends and have a great day and catch a couple use live! ( minnows or worms)
If you want to really get into bass fishing then you can start with the lures and THE BAIT MONKEY.
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 11:18 AM   #29
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
Those are the things that I bought today. I looked for watermelon seed on those bas assassin lures "gummy worms" lol. But they were out so I got red shad/green gl . The other colors were neon. These were the only brand that said they were floaters, and they advertized "tournament winners choice"

OH, and guys, Im REALLY sorry about the pictures being so bad. My husband has my camera right now so I had to use the webcam. If you have a hard time seeing, please feel free to ask me for details.

While some people on here like it, I avoid Cajun Line like the Hog Flu.
I highly recommend Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Casting. Just for future reference
Eagle claw hooks are fine, but please don't buy their line! I hooked 3 bass on 3 beds one afternoon several years ago. All 3 snapped my Eagle Claw Line
Old 05-27-09, 11:30 AM   #30
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodman rat View Post
Ok Here goes from girl to girl! BIG LIVE BAIT = BIG LIVE BASS!! i have posted many pix of big fish, so believe me when I tell you this! Lures work (after 2000 cast one fish) but not like live bait! With that said bobbers and lures do not go together. You only need bobber for live bait. You can always use hooks, line and sinker for worms (gummy things) should look for lizzard gummy things they work well.
1&4 are topwater (guys have already said about those)
2,6,&7 are swim baits just tie them on and try different retrivals
5 looks like a kit that bass pro made with swim bait and you can add things to make spinner and top water the kit was about 12 (I have 2)

All the gear can get pricy! If you just want to go with your girlfriends and have a great day and catch a couple use live! ( minnows or worms)
If you want to really get into bass fishing then you can start with the lures and THE BAIT MONKEY.

On the subject of live crawlers, if you can find them, you have to go with the green ones. They're injected with garlic and they turn an almost fluorescent green.
Not only is garlic tried and true, but they stand out better visually and leave a much more visible trail in the water.
I was stuck fishing the bad side of a bridge last summer but came up with a plan. when the current was going out, i'd cast one under the bridge, give plenty of slack and WHAM! I was nailing largemouth and rock bass, catching them right where the people on the good side of the bridge were fishing. They had no idea what I was doing.
All's fair in love and bass fishing
Old 05-27-09, 11:33 AM   #31
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ok, what type of rod and reel are you using? open face or some call em a spinning reel. zebco 33 combo. the zebco reel is the push button type of reel. the cajun line is good for the push button reel and the open face/spinning reel. but i would go with at least 10 pound test line. the mustad hook are a 2aught. you'll need a 4 or 5 aught for the bass assins worms. you have seen how to texas rig a worm. so rig it up, cast it out and SLOWLY crawl it, bounce it back to you. when you see the line starting to go away form you, you have a fish. JERK his jaws out, that is setting the hook. then hold on and bring it in. sometimes you won't feel the bite on a worm or lizard. sometimes they will jerk it outta yer hands,hahaha. try different ways to bring in the worm till you get a bite. you're gonna miss alot of fish till you master it, so don't get mad like i do,lmao. it'll happen, give it time and practice. in the pic above the worms is a pop-r bait, top water. cast it out and let it sit a min, then a little pop,set,pop etc. great bait early in the morning and late evening for bass. i like the spinner bait as well, it's a little small for a big bass. the thought on that is the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish. get one that is at least 3/8 ounce in weight it will be on the package. and there are a LOT to choose from. for now keep it simple, get white in color and larger blades. willow blades are good they are kinda skinny compared to what you have, which is a colorado blade. and it is small too. the blades give off a vibration that alerts the bass and they start looking for it. draws them to the bait. the bigger the blades, the more vibs given off. cast out the spinnerbait, it will sink kinda fast. reel it in fast or slow though not too slow cause it will hang up on something if you go too slow. sometimes a bass will hit it just as it hits the water, sometimes you'll cast it a thousand times all over and not get a nibble. but when you do, you'll know,lol.experment with your colors as you get into these baits. also try different color worms. remember this....the clearer the water the lighter in color the bait. for example; real clear water (put in the tip of your rod, how much can you see under water? 3 feet? that is CLEAR water, use white, yellow,pink,green, light browns etc. muddy water use darker colors, black, dark brown etc. others will post different things. do NOT over think the situtation. many of us are prone to do this,hahahaha. hence we lose focus. yes i do too. the more you learn, the more you'll do this. but it's ok.
now as for the dragon fly lure....never seen it before. can't answer you on that one. and the catfish bait is ok i think. see i never catfish anymore. and when i did...... it was back in the stone ages, lmao. the best bait for me catfishing is still chicken liver.
so, now that you have seen the videos from kevin (yes that is the man hisself), and oyu know some basic things. i think you are well on your way nice lady. hope you have fun and post up you catches. we overthinkers and underacheivers love to see pics of fish catches.

Strongly disagree
Old 05-27-09, 11:39 AM   #32
MallenManson

Quote:
How do you attach the spinner bait to your line?

Do you use bait in addition to any of these lures? I know that's probably a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure.

What lures should i use weight with, and how much. should I use a bobber with any of them? I dont know what is for top or bottom feeding.

Im about to post pictures of what was already in the tackle box that my parents gave me

Spinner baits are tied directly to your line, instead of a swivel.
Old 05-27-09, 11:43 AM   #33
MallenManson

Quote:
about what?

Are you referring to me? If so, which post?
Old 05-27-09, 11:43 AM   #34
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Someone please explain to me how to attach and use the spinner bait. I think Im gonna go to the stocked pond today and just test out my gear.
Old 05-27-09, 11:44 AM   #35
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
John, you talk too much...LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RWbzeVXWyc

Just tryin to get tommy tu tone out of bama's head lol
Old 05-27-09, 11:46 AM   #36
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Strongly disagree

What do you strongly disagree about?
Old 05-27-09, 11:49 AM   #37
MallenManson

Quote:
Someone please explain to me how to attach and use the spinner bait. I think Im gonna go to the stocked pond today and just test out my gear.

I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to spinnerbaits, but a lot of people here use them and will be glad to help.
I'm more of a crankbait guy
Old 05-27-09, 11:50 AM   #38
MallenManson

Quote:
What do you strongly disagree about?

His opinion on the cajun line. That part SHOULD have shown up in red. Maybe it didn't?
Old 05-27-09, 11:57 AM   #39
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, what is the your opinion on it. I wanna know what everyone thinks. I do know that i put it on the reel last night. I tried to take line in both hands and break it (testing it). I couldn't, but i barely touched the knife to it and it cut a little too easily for my taste. Someone said that 8lb was too thin, but I have a really hard time returning things to the PX, so I figured it's fine for right now.
Old 05-27-09, 12:03 PM   #40
rodman rat

you tie the spinner just like a hook ( i am not good with knot names) put the line through the hook and then run it back through to make a loop! if you know this knot then you just double first and lay spinner on top, loop spinner through and pull down just like the hook. If you do not know what I am talking about just tell me I will find pix to help
Old 05-27-09, 12:10 PM   #41
rodman rat

ok here is a link to the knot instead of inserting in hook lay right angle part of metal on line.
http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar...matedknots.com
Old 05-27-09, 12:13 PM   #42
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

ok, yeah, thats how i have my line now. I watched Kevin's video on the drop shot rig and tied it like that. so you just put that at the end of your line and thats it? I mean, you need weight or something too, right?
Old 05-27-09, 12:19 PM   #43
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The spinnerbait is already weighted. That one you showed on the other page is light, I think maybe 1/4 or even 1/8 ounce...I can't read what it says on the pack in that black circle. Most bass fishing spinnerbaits are 3/8 ounce and up. You won't be able to cast very far, but don't add any weight to it.
For soft plastics, like the worms you have, add a weight like you show in pic #15, at the very top left. Run the line through the weight, and just let it hang. The pointy end goes forward, by the way. Tie the hook on with the Palomar Knot like Rodman showed you, then put the worm on like Kevin's video.
Oh, and DO NOT add any weight if you're using those topwater lures in pics #1 and #4, or the popper from the first page, either. It'll kill their movement (or action, as we bass addicts call it).
Old 05-27-09, 12:23 PM   #44
rodman rat

if you post pix after you tie it then I can see I will let you know if it will come back after you cast! took me 4 $6.00 spinners before I got it right!
Old 05-27-09, 12:49 PM   #45
MallenManson

Quote:
Well, what is the your opinion on it. I wanna know what everyone thinks. I do know that i put it on the reel last night. I tried to take line in both hands and break it (testing it). I couldn't, but i barely touched the knife to it and it cut a little too easily for my taste. Someone said that 8lb was too thin, but I have a really hard time returning things to the PX, so I figured it's fine for right now.

The #age all depends on what part of the country you're in, since the bass grow much larger in the warmer states than they do in the colder states, like Michigan (Mallen got pimped on that!), and what type of fishing you're doing. If you're looking to strongarm a bass out of heavy cover, then 8# is awful light. Up here, fishing away from cover, 8# is perfectly fine.
While I was
VERY impressed with Cajun Line's castability (I was using 10# Super Smooth Casting), I was extremely dissapointed in it's knot strength as well as it's memory.
The knot strength refers to the strength at which the line will break at the knot. Lost a very nice dogfish (would have earned me a spot on the Master Anglers list easily) due to just that reason last summer. In this case, lost refers to it breaking the knot after I had it up on the bank and hopped down to grab it by it's face
Memory refers to how much it holds the reel shape once it's off the reel, basically. The less it holds the shape, the better.
Really didn't like it for those 2 reasons.
One other positive I have to give it is simply the red color, since SUPPOSEDLY red is the 1st color to disappear underwater, which was the reason I tried it in the 1st place.
Don't fret it too much though. Go ahead and use it, maybe you'll love it. If not, replace it next year. Or use that setup as your panfish rod. Most fisherman, myself included, will respool every year. If you decide it's not for you, go with the Trilene Smooth Casting, which i recommended earlier. While I was impressed with the Cajun Line's castability, Berkley's was even better
One thing you'll learn very quickly on thse boards is that nobody agrees totally on line, rods, reels, baits or lures. We all fish different areas and in different ways. Pay as much attention as you can and try everything.
Unlike some types of forums, a bass fishing forum is loaded with good people and good advice. Everyone here is more than eager to share their knowledge and experiences. As corny as it sounds, bass fisherman are one big happy family....until we lose a monster and throw our rods overboard that is!
Old 05-27-09, 12:51 PM   #46
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodman rat View Post
if you post pix after you tie it then I can see I will let you know if it will come back after you cast! took me 4 $6.00 spinners before I got it right!

Hate it when that happens!
Old 05-27-09, 04:07 PM   #47
bamabassman

hahaha, mallen, i use 12# cajun rd line. i like it. but to each his/her own. i meant the the 8# test was good poundage line for those ty[es of reels. you can't really go above 10 pound test on push button reels. spinning reels is another story though. i now have 20 pound power pro braid on one of isa's spinning reels. no more breaking off in the grass for her, lol.
now back to the pics i seen posted. the number 1 pic, is a devil horse towater bait. fantastic bait too. cakalaki girl...... take the back prop off and reverse it, put it back on first. gives it a diferent action. use this by any cover and also in shallow water around grass. you need to learn 2 different ways to retrieve it. first is the pop and pop like daniel said on the pop-r bait. second is sorta a walk the dog retrieve. just not as fast. steady jerks with a slow retrieve.
the hooks with the spinner attached to them, i don't know what they are called but i have ONE. i put a curly tailed worm in this and used it like a swim bait once. didn't have much luck, although if you were to put an ACTUAL swimbait it just might do good. i like th set up, even if only in my mind.lol.
one thing i can tell you is to also look at youtube. look for videos on how to use various baits and knots.
and like mallen said, we may not agree on everything, except one thing...... we love to bass fish. and we love to help out folks getting into bass fishing. so go out and get you a hawg mollie. post the pics too. and ask ANYTHING you need advice on. someone here will help you out.oh...one more thing, there is NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION.
Old 05-27-09, 08:26 PM   #48
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

I went fishin today and tried out the different suff I got. I HATED the red line. It was so bad that I'm planning to change it before I go fishing tomorrow. One time I was casting and in mid air the line snapped and i lost all my stuff in the pond. The "memory" sucked. it stayed very curly and caused it to tangle over and over. The only time i got a real good bite, the line tangled and I lost it before I could get it back in.

As for the dragonfly lure. It doesn't float and seemed to be a waste of time to use unless I'm totally missing the point of it.

I had no reaction to the spinner at all, but then, nobody was catching anything down there today. The ponds are stocked with panfish, crappie, catfish, and bass. While I was there, it rained. After that I felt like I was just feeding the turtles.
Old 05-27-09, 09:38 PM   #49
bamabassman

put the KVD line conditioner on your reel. i am guessing only here now, are you using a spinning reel? if so, that is the reason for the twist, lol. my wife's reel did the same thing, i put braided line on it, 20# test power pro. no more twist. fishing takes patience. so do not give up ok?
Old 05-27-09, 10:40 PM   #50
bass fishin kid SML
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Its so easy, a 13 year old could do it.

First off, i know how stressful it is when starting to learn this kinda stuff. I am 13 and have taught my self almost everything. The number one help i have is the internet and all those outdoor channels. I follow the BASS Elite tour, watch all the Bass fishing shows i can and read all the articles i can. At the age of 10, i went to BPS (bass pro shops) for the first time. I got a tackle box, and some lures and a reel and rod. You have to be ok with the fact that you will end up loosing a lot of money because what you buy at the start, you will realize that as you get better, that stuff is worthless and no good, or you can get higher quality things. I bought some stuff similar to what you did. But over all, keep your mind open and take advice that is sensible from ANYONE, and dont give up on yourself. tight lines!
bass fishin kid SML is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.