Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-29-12, 05:38 PM   #1
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Is there a rule of thumb re: offset hooks?

I'm intrested in knowing or not if there is a general rule of thumb for when your matching softies with the suitable size offset.
I think here in the UK we dont have a vast range of offsets to choose from unlike you fella's overe there. but they're beginning to show especially with the ULF and the coastal lure fishing. I've got a relaible shop here that does offset hooks by the hundreds. And so far I'm taken to the Gamakatsu EWG hooks, now i've only ever used one size for my 3'' grubs and that was a no.4.

I'm intrested in how you match a hook to the size of the chosen softbait.

lets say I have a 4'' worm this one to be exact, http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/...29-p-3514.html

what size offset would you use?

basically as the title quotes is there a rule of thumb when matching hooksize to the size of the bait?
Old 10-29-12, 07:37 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My rule of thumb is to make sure the hook gap is at least double the diameter of the soft plastic so as to have enough room for the hook to get through the plastic and into the fish's jaw.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 07:44 PM   #3
bassboogieman

What Marty said and I think for that particular worm you would want a 2/0. I fish a worm virtually identical to the one you linked, and prefer a Spider Slider Hook, which is a weighted offset hook. Works very well on spinning gear with small baits. But if you want to try the unweighted EWG, try the 2/0 Gamagatsu, should do the trick.

Slider Hook
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 08:14 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I personally wouldn't go any higher than a 2/0. The smaller the hook is the more natural action the plastic will have.
Old 10-29-12, 08:22 PM   #5
Jrob78

I agree with what has been said, I would probably use a 2/0 for that worm as well. A 3/0 is a good all around size to have, it can work on smaller baits and still be larger enough to handle big plastics. Gamakatsu makes great hooks, I use a lot of their EWG and Skip Gap hooks.
Old 10-30-12, 12:18 AM   #6
Rebbasser

I agree with the other guys-for that size bait a 2/0 will do just fine, and Jrob called it right, that a 3/0 is a god all around size. I don't use a 4/0 or 5/0 except for big worms or bulky creature baits.
Old 10-30-12, 07:30 AM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
What Marty said and I think for that particular worm you would want a 2/0. I fish a worm virtually identical to the one you linked, and prefer a Spider Slider Hook, which is a weighted offset hook. Works very well on spinning gear with small baits. But if you want to try the unweighted EWG, try the 2/0 Gamagatsu, should do the trick.

Slider Hook
That Spider Slider weighted hook works very well with lizards too! I use them frequently.
Old 11-02-12, 05:15 PM   #8
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ta chaps, very much appreciated...
Old 11-02-12, 07:16 PM   #9
lilmule

Looks like a 4 in ringworm ive used as little as a 1/0 or 1/0 wide gap , 2/0 is tad better with some worms also prefer a bit of bend in shank as to straight.Its a spotted bass bait here or was popular for that.Used on a crig bit of current it turns to face it and sort of treads water while sinking or retrieve,shakey head with a 2/0 also good,more hits on the retrieve.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.