Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-13, 12:28 PM   #1
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default When to respool

I've got several rod/reel setups and am wondering when you guys determine it is time to respool. I have a little more line twist than I like, but otherwise the line seems to be in good condition.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 12:46 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Are you tournament fishing or just fishing for the sport of it? What type or types of line are we talking about, braid, mono, FC ? How often do you fish, how do you store your equipment when it's not being used?

There will be a lot of answers to your question, but it makes a difference as to what your particular situation is.
Old 04-07-13, 01:12 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Are you tournament fishing or just fishing for the sport of it? What type or types of line are we talking about, braid, mono, FC ? How often do you fish, how do you store your equipment when it's not being used?

There will be a lot of answers to your question, but it makes a difference as to what your particular situation is.

All good questions.

I know for myself, when I change depends heavily on line type.

My mono (I think I'm down to one reel with mono now) gets changed every season. Mono is inexpensive and can be weakened by heat and UV light.

I don't respool braid very often. I usually end up respooling when I've used up too much braid. I've been running the same braid on my Revo STX for 3 seasons now without a problem. I'll probably be switching it from Sufix Performance Braid to Sufix 832 this year though.

Fluorocarbon really just depends on the situation for me. I usually get 2 years out a limp line like Seaguar InvisX. Stiff lines that get very coily (don't think that's a word) over the winter probably get changed. I just fished the other day with my Sunline Super FC from last year and was impressed. Not quite as limp as InvisX, but I haven't even used any KVD L&L yet. I'll be keeping it on for the year.

I try more new FCs than any other lines, so removing one I really don't like is usually why I change. Also, get a nice backlash and a spool of FC is usually shot. That's why a new spool lasted me 2 days at the Wilson/Wheeler trip.

BB
Old 04-07-13, 01:50 PM   #4
Fish30114

Good questions and info guys. I am simply a serious amateur, fish about 6 times a month during season, which is just starting for me--I ususally fish from April through late October. My reels are spooled with mostly P-line copolymer, and one with Cajun red mono, and two with Flourocarbon. I find that my flouro spooled reels seem to get 'coily' quicker and these I just respool when it gets to much, but my copolymer lined reels seem to be pretty good, and they prolly could stand a dose of line conditioner. I am really looking for input as to whether I need to respool the P-line spooled rigs, as it is the beginning of the season for me. As to storing my gear, it goes from Air conditioned/Heated garage to truck to lake and then comes back in same truck and gets put on wall in same garage til next time going fishing. I don't ever fish anywhere but local private lakes, no boat, and dont encounter lots of tough conditions for my gear, other than when I choose to fish when it's raining--prolly about 3-4 times a season.
Old 04-07-13, 02:20 PM   #5
Tavery5

No one likes to loose fish, especially when it can be easily prevented. With the Copoly and mono, I say replace it often, it in inexpensive line relatively and comes on spools with generous amounts. FC is a different story, it is expensive, and very sensitive to kinks. If a guy can afford it, it should be respooled often as well, and probably everytime you have a serious backlash. I lost a good fish at Amistad because I did not respool FC line that had backlashed. Lesson learned.
Old 04-07-13, 02:22 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
All good questions.

I know for myself, when I change depends heavily on line type.

My mono (I think I'm down to one reel with mono now) gets changed every season. Mono is inexpensive and can be weakened by heat and UV light.

I don't respool braid very often. I usually end up respooling when I've used up too much braid. I've been running the same braid on my Revo STX for 3 seasons now without a problem. I'll probably be switching it from Sufix Performance Braid to Sufix 832 this year though.

Fluorocarbon really just depends on the situation for me. I usually get 2 years out a limp line like Seaguar InvisX. Stiff lines that get very coily (don't think that's a word) over the winter probably get changed. I just fished the other day with my Sunline Super FC from last year and was impressed. Not quite as limp as InvisX, but I haven't even used any KVD L&L yet. I'll be keeping it on for the year.

I try more new FCs than any other lines, so removing one I really don't like is usually why I change. Also, get a nice backlash and a spool of FC is usually shot. That's why a new spool lasted me 2 days at the Wilson/Wheeler trip.

BB

Lookin forward to the review!
Old 04-07-13, 06:42 PM   #7
Fish30114

Tavery, that makes sense and sounds like good advice. I think I'll be ordering up some new Cajun line and P-line as well, and get to re-spooling. And just for an FYI you guys, I have one baitcaster I pretty much use for ripping rattletraps etc. I keep spooled with braid, I changed it from Fireline braid Crystal to suffix 832 and I much prefer the Fireline I had on before. The 832 feels grainy and ties more difficultly than the Fireline, and I especially don't like the feel of it.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 04-07-13, 07:25 PM   #8
keithdog

I use a lot of P Line Flouroclear, and basically, I change twice a year to be sure. At the start of the year, and again around the end of July. However, certain rigs that I know take more abuse, like my spinner bait rod, or my soft plastics and jig rigs where the line come in contacts with laydowns, pier legs, ect, I change more often simply because of the wear and tear. And if I happen to get a nasty backlash, well that goes without saying. And like BigBassin said previously, I don't change my braid often. I have 3 years plus on one reel with braid, and two years on the other.
Old 04-08-13, 07:20 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish30114 View Post
And just for an FYI you guys, I have one baitcaster I pretty much use for ripping rattletraps etc. I keep spooled with braid, I changed it from Fireline braid Crystal to suffix 832 and I much prefer the Fireline I had on before. The 832 feels grainy and ties more difficultly than the Fireline, and I especially don't like the feel of it.
Thanks again for the feedback.
To clear things up quickly, Fireline Crystal is not braid. It's a fused superline. The differences are easy to find on the web, so I won't go into them here. But being fused is going to give you the smooth, more monofilament like feel that you won't get from braided line without a coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Lookin forward to the review!
I'm quite the opposite of Fish30114 when it comes to 832. I have personally used Fireline and hate the stuff. It's stiff, coils awfully, and the flat shape of the line makes line dig pretty bad. It was spooled onto a Shimano Sahara I sold, and I gave the guy the remaining line on the spool with it.

I've been using 832 in 10lb test on spinning gear, 20lb test test on a small baitcaster (Daiwa Sol), and will be using some 40lb this year. Sufix 832 is my favorite braid that I've used so far (the only one that I still really want to try is Daiwa Samurai Braid). Unlike the Sufix PB, 832 is 8 strands regardless of line strength (PB was 6 up to 30lb and 8 at 40lb+ I believe).

It is probably the smoothest braid I've used, but it's not significantly smoother than other quality 8 strand braids. It keep the same smoothness through the season, so it wasn't just a smooth waxy coating.

It ties knots like any other braid, which is well if you're using the right knots. Palomar or Modified Uni (through the eye of the hook twice, then through the loop 8-10 times) are the only knots I tie or would recommend with braid.

It casts well and as quietly as any braid I've fished. I haven't had too much of an issue with wind knots (seemed to get them often on spinning gear with Spiderwire Invisibraid (white Ultracast).

I love the Neon Green color by the way, but like any braid, it does fade after some use. I found it to hold it's color longer than PB though.

I was hoping the added Goretex fiber would help keep the braid from soaking up a lot of water as braids are wont to do. It really doesn't; at least that I notice. I still get that nice spray of water on the cast. What it does do for the braid though, is make it denser. Dense enough to sink, in fact. It will sink, but not quickly like a fluorocarbon. I personally like this characteristic. It may not be the best for topwater lures that will be sitting still for extended periods of time though. I will be using this on my frog rod this summer though, so I'll report back on that.

This is really the first braid that has made we want to switch from Sufix PB. I guess Sufix knows their braid (and their mono for that matter).

BB
Old 04-08-13, 08:00 PM   #10
nobass

Try letting out about half spool when running your boat I do this with mono and flora carbon do not but anything on. Line just let run in water also works great on spinning gear when you get a lot of line twist reel line I while boat is running. I change at beggining of season I pull of about 1/3 of reel and despoil never had a bass unspool more that that
Old 04-09-13, 10:42 AM   #11
merc1997

one thing that i do is to use a backing. for example on a baitcaster, leave about 1/2 spool of old line, splice on new and fill with about 60 yds. of new line. even deep water fishing, 60 yds. of line is plenty. when you get low enough, you do not cast as well, just put on another new 60 yds.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 09:03 PM   #12
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
one thing that i do is to use a backing. for example on a baitcaster, leave about 1/2 spool of old line, splice on new and fill with about 60 yds. of new line. even deep water fishing, 60 yds. of line is plenty. when you get low enough, you do not cast as well, just put on another new 60 yds.

bo
exactly. i have this down to a science. do 3 reels with one spool. lol
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 09:26 PM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post

bo
I fought the idea of using backing for a long time, I'm really not sure why. Now I do the same thing, add about 60 yds of fresh line and I'm good to go. As expensive as fluorocarbon is, I can't afford not to.
Old 04-09-13, 09:51 PM   #14
bassboogieman

I use mostly co-poly, I always put fresh line on at the beginning of the season and change it as needed. Heck I had a backlash (professional overrun) the other day on my first outing and darn if the line didn't break way down in the spool (first time I ever had that happen with co-poly) I saw it after making a long cast, so I had to pull that off. When I got home I re-spooled that reel. So I got one trip out of that one. But I also use backing line and put a strip of electrician's tape over the backer which will keep any professional overrun from going way deep in the spool AND it saves money by not using quite so much "good" line when you do re-spool.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.