Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 10-23-13, 07:17 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Stolen from another Forum

To me the answer to why plastics are working and catching most of the Bass is obvious.
Who knows why?

The post from the other forum.

I have come to the conclusion after my first year or fishing for bass that jigs are either over rated, don't work, everyone is not telling the truth on how great jigs are, or jigs hate me! lol.

I've caught 99.9% of my bass from shore using plastic worms. But when I would throw the occasional jig, almost zero catches. I think I caught two bass in the spring using a jig. Now, when I fish I'm using plastic worms 99% of the time and don't give attention to other lures as much. But during the spring/summer, when I started with plastics, after a while I would switch to a jig.

In my mind I should have caught at least a few more fish on jigs. But only two.

I have read and watched videos on jig fishing. I don't know and feel defeated. I like how jigs look and enjoy casting them. But with no success.

I'm thinking for the future, after I'm done with worms I should give more attention to swim baits, jerk baits, and spinnerbaits. Not sure I'll be using jigs for a while.

The other forum had like a dozen replies without ANYONE stating the obvious.....so far.

Last edited by joedog; 10-24-13 at 03:05 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 08:45 PM   #2
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Right there with you. I think the only thing that I've ever caught on a bass jig is a snapping turtle.
Old 10-23-13, 10:34 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've caught my share on jigs but they are certainly not my mainstay. But neither are worms. Pitchin soft plastic creature baits produces far more for me than worms.
Old 10-24-13, 03:05 AM   #4
joedog

I'm sorry folks, I'm not sure I worded the question very well, sorry.
I actually have very good success on jigs. This was a question from someone else. The site is full of tournament anglers but I read there daily but I"M not a member so I couldn't/didn't post the obvious answer to why the angler catches 99% of his fish on worms and very few on jigs.
And I couldn't understand why NO ONE could see the obvious reason.
I highlited the key words to the challenge....and the answer, sort of.

Leave out everything but the red.
Can anyone tell me why THIS angler catches 99% of his fish on plastic worms and very few on jigs.
Old 10-24-13, 07:28 PM   #5
woody

Well because he admits that 99% of the time he is fishing with plastics worms. It sounds like he's a "one trick pony."

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-13, 07:42 PM   #6
joedog

Mark, my thoughts exactly.

The answer to his challenge is simple to me.
Go to the pond with jigs only.
It's amazing how many times when learning ANY new lure or technique I take only just THAT setup down to the water. Now I have the advantage in that I know some fair ponds plus a river that I can reach very easy. So it's not like I'll comit a whole day, maybe a half day though.

More amazing is that no one recomended this?
Old 10-24-13, 10:41 PM   #7
merc1997

i think that i posted a response to that thread. yes, he does not spend enough time using a jig. also, that fisherman has not figured out that most of his plastics would be more effective on the back of a naked jig head instead of t-rigging. jigs are not just for crawdad imitating. a jig can me made to resemble shad or bluegill. jigs can be fished from top to bottom and can be fished vertically or horizontally. jigs are one of our best fishing tools. if i were to be limited to a choice of one lure to fish year round with, jigs would most definitely be at the top of my list, followed by a spoon.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-13, 03:39 AM   #8
joedog

I think the angler should start with jigs and move to worms as opposed to the opposite too.

Something about 'catching those first couple of fish' on something that seems to build a natural confidence in an angler.

Bo I also agree with 'not just a crawdad'.
In reality I've often wondered, "How many worms do anglers think a bass eats. I'm talk live natural worms, not plastics? How many worms are even in the water except after a rain or a flood/high water?. I sometimes feel people think a jig (or any lure) 'must' imitate some natural food source. Heck I fish jigs successfully in waters that have ZERO crawdads in."
I compare it to like playing with a cat. If something moves it triggers a reaction. Even after it catches said toy. As soon as it moves again, the cat will chase again. It knows it isn't food from experience yet the movement 'triggers' a responce again. Never do we ask, "what do you think the cat thinks it is?"
I think of fishing the same way.
I want to figure what 'triggers' a responce and why. The action itself as opposed to what it thinks it's going to be eating. It's all about 'triggers' not 'thoughts'.

Now worms are an excellent bass bait and I use them frequently.
I wacky them, Texas rig, dropshot (with a jig as sinker), fish them wieghted, unweighted Ect.
So I'm not knocking worms.
This angler wondered why jigs didn't work for him but yet everyone else seemed to have success.
Old 10-25-13, 09:01 PM   #9
Dave63

Then I need to just take my box of jigs (all 4) and just use them...May do that before the end of the year.
Old 10-25-13, 09:26 PM   #10
joedog

Dave by years end, you'll be happy you did.

But depending how many poles you carry, I'd rig two up EVERY outting and fish them for the first half of outting.
Then go to your favorites if you want.
By years end they may be the same setups.

You can't fish them wrong so vary your retrieve and have some fun. Bump it, crawl it, swim it. You'll find out soon enough what works where.
I will say to use some sort of trailer cause the trailer and skirts are half the set up.
And at first, anything you feel 'different', bump, tick, FEEls lighter THAN IT SHOULD, set the hook. If you wait and try to quess what caused the change.....it may be too late.
I still miss fish cause I waited to set. Later you can figure the little helpfull tricks to jigging.

After each outting come and ask questions based on what you experienced.
A lot of good jig fisherman around here.
Old 10-30-13, 12:28 AM   #11
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Joe, I'm not exaggerating when I say I threw a jig for years and never got bit. Fortunately I was stubborn about it and kept throwing one. Then one magical day I pulled one off a brushpile and felt that wonderful thump and was rewarded by a chunky 2 pounder. That gave me confidence in a jig, and now I always have a jig rod rigged up. Just keep throwing it-you WILL eventually get bit!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.