Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 12-13-13, 10:44 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default This will be last time I bring this subject up, PROMISE.

The site has basically DIED.
Doesn't seem to bother anyone but maybe me.
There are maybe a dozen regulars who visit but with NO NEW TOPICS hardly post.

If it wasn't for ZOOKER FEST there probably would be even less.
Which brings me to a question.

If Zooker was still with us (God Bless his Soul) wouldn't he have taken action to keep his friends together?

Almost every time I check, there are 53 visiters , so I have my doubts if that is even running since the shut down.

I once again have e-mailed Kevin but once again I DON'T EXPECT HIM TO EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE HE RECIEVED IT.

It's obvious Kevin doesn't care for me but he must like some of you.
Are you going to wait for the site to end and THEN think of what you COULD OF DONE?

I'm not angry.
I just have built a pretty strong relationship with numerous of the members.
I admire them, respect them and even look to them for advice.

Can't tell you how long it's been since I've seen a 'new bass fishing' idea has been started because you guys all know what each other thinks about things.

NO NEWBIES NO SITE....SIMPLE AS THAT.

So I'm asking EVERY SINGLE READER OF THIS POST TO EMAIL KEVIN AND ASK FOR NEWBIES TO BE ALLOWED TO JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can check and see the most read posts/threads...most were started by me and they only had maybe 20-30 reads.
Other sites have 20+ new threads started each and EVERY DAY.

Come on FRIENDS, if this comaraderie is going to continue now is the time to take action!!!!!!

MY DEAR FRIENDS.........HAVE THE VERY BEST DAY YOU POSSIBLE CAN, PLEASE!
Old 12-13-13, 11:23 AM   #2
kennethdaysale

fail=
  1. Kevin Scarselli has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Kevin Scarselli from the recipient list and send the message again.
Old 12-13-13, 11:31 AM   #3
bassboogieman

NO you won't. I don't believe Kevin gives a rat's arse about these forums. For whatever reason I believe he's abandoned "us". It's no big wonder that he has, as I don't think it generates any revenue for him, so he's moved on from this "hobby". I think it may be time to let it go, totally, and move over to Anthony's website - he's offered several times and it was attempted once. There are many websites available for information, but not many have what we had/have here - a small, more intimate group that forged personal connections. That's so much harder (but yeah, I've done it) on the "big boy pages". I do not wish to abandon the connections I have made though BF.com, but the fact is - growth isn't going to happen. It would require some dedicated attention to rebuild BF.com to keep it "clean". I don't believe Kevin has the time, inclination or even the money to do that and for whatever reason refuses to appoint administrators that might keep it alive. So, we either keep doing what we're doing or cut out of BF.com to Anthony's site and continue and possibly grow there. The time may be ripe to cut it off and move on while the connections still exist to do so. Otherwise it will be a slow death and the connections may die with it - slowly, as people move on individually and the "core" dissolves. It's obvious Kevin will not miss us, we will only miss each other.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-13-13 at 11:47 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 12:05 PM   #4
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
fail=
  1. Kevin Scarselli has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Kevin Scarselli from the recipient list and send the message again.
I emailed him not PMed.
at
kevin@bassfishin.com
Old 12-14-13, 01:03 AM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
NO you won't. I don't believe Kevin gives a rat's arse about these forums. For whatever reason I believe he's abandoned "us". It's no big wonder that he has, as I don't think it generates any revenue for him, so he's moved on from this "hobby". I think it may be time to let it go, totally, and move over to Anthony's website - he's offered several times and it was attempted once. There are many websites available for information, but not many have what we had/have here - a small, more intimate group that forged personal connections. That's so much harder (but yeah, I've done it) on the "big boy pages". I do not wish to abandon the connections I have made though BF.com, but the fact is - growth isn't going to happen. It would require some dedicated attention to rebuild BF.com to keep it "clean". I don't believe Kevin has the time, inclination or even the money to do that and for whatever reason refuses to appoint administrators that might keep it alive. So, we either keep doing what we're doing or cut out of BF.com to Anthony's site and continue and possibly grow there. The time may be ripe to cut it off and move on while the connections still exist to do so. Otherwise it will be a slow death and the connections may die with it - slowly, as people move on individually and the "core" dissolves. It's obvious Kevin will not miss us, we will only miss each other.
This ^^^

Really is a sad day to see this site as it is today. Really grew to love to the people on here, but it's hard to keep giving CPR to something already dead.

At this point a move to Anthony's site is definitely a good idea. The hard part would be lighting the spark and uniting everyone to get our arses over there! lol
Old 12-14-13, 02:00 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I don't think getting our active members to move woud be a problem.

This place is already on life support. With every member that leaves, it gets closerto ouling the plug.

I'm in if you guys are, although I think at this point, we should wait till after the get together
Old 12-14-13, 04:17 PM   #7
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What's the address of this "new" site.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-13, 04:19 PM   #8
Tavery5

Basschat.yuku.com
Old 12-14-13, 04:23 PM   #9
Tavery5

basschat.yuku.com
Old 12-15-13, 03:54 PM   #10
Tavery5

If you want to see where this site is headed, you need only look at this fishing site. http://www.theb*******s.com it was once a very active site with many more active members and forums than here. They had a weekly chat on Tuesday nights that sometimes would have notable guest speakers and well over 50 people on-line. The original owner sold the site to a new group who did not manage the site, they lost their advertising and the site quickly dried up. It is in just about the same shape as this one.

IMHO, what killed this site is two things, the first is the same thing that makes it a great site. Many of us came to know each other personally and there was a large group of regulars that knew each other by name and shared a lot of inside jokes, it was very tough for a new user to come on board and participate in many of the discussions. I remember Joe being frustrated with this at one point. Ken, Joe and Blue are the last new members that I can recall that stuck it out and became very active users here.

The other is the lack of new blood, most of the fishing related conversations dried up because most of us had already discussed many of them to death, there were no new members asking fishing related questions that everyone could participate in and the site evolved into a place for a small group of friends to discuss politics, comedy and just about everything under the sun other than fishing. That IMHO is about where we are today, sure there are the occasional fishing related conversations but most topics are related to other matters.

This was the first site that I ever truly participated in, we had lots of fun and sometimes we got mad at one another, but in the end we kept going and shared, asked and helped one another to become better more enlightened anglers, I think those days are behind us and what to come is not going to be positive.

I hate to see it end and will actively participate in any group decision to make things better and to help bring this or whatever site we choose to support a active sharing community.

Last edited by Tavery5; 12-15-13 at 05:37 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 03:55 PM   #11
Tavery5

The site referenced above is "the bass holes .com"
Old 12-15-13, 05:32 PM   #12
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavery5 View Post
if you want to see where this site is headed, you need only look at this fishing site. http://www.theb*******s.com it was once a very active site with many more active members and forums than here. They had a weekly chat on tuesday nights that sometimes would have notable guest speakers and well over 50 people on-line. The original owner sold the site to a new group who did not manage the site, they lost their advertising and the site quickly dried up. It is in just about the same shape is as this one.

Imho, what killed this site is two things, the first is the same thing that makes it a great site. Many of us came to know each other personally and there was a large group of regulars that knew each other by name and shared a lot of inside jokes, it was very tough for a new user to come on board and participate in many of the discussions. I remember joe being frustrated with this at one point. Ken, joe and blue are the last new members that i can recall that stuck it out and became very active users here.

The other is the lack of new blood, most of the fishing related conversations dried up because most of us had already discussed many of them to death, there were no new members asking fishing related questions that everyone could participate in and the site evolved into a place for a small group of friends to discuss politics, comedy and just about everything under the sun other than fishing. That imho is about where we are today, sure there are the occasional fishing related conversations but most topics are related to other matters.

This was the first site that i ever truly participated in, we had lots of fun and sometimes we got mad at one another, but in the end we kept going and shared, asked and helped one another to become better more enlightened anglers, i think those days are behind us and what to come is not going to be positive.

I hate to see it end and will actively participate in any group decision to make things better and to help bring this or whatever site we choose to support a active sharing community.

Extremely well put!!!
I know EVERYONE NOW though.

Last edited by joedog; 12-15-13 at 05:37 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 09:21 PM   #13
keithdog

This site was and imo still is the best website on the net related to fishing. It also is in dire straights. What Tavery said is correct and we do need new members badly. I've been here for a long time now, and seen it in it's heyday. The trouble to me seemed to begin when a spider snuck in here and started to weave his web of trouble. There were many arguments because of him, some pitting member against member. It was then many senior members began to leave due to the drama going on in here. While the spider may not be here now, he clearly has had the impact he wanted to have in here. He wanted to shut this site down, and he has come close to doing so. Even now, his actions hurt these forums. The site was flooded with BOTS as he said it would be. It got so bad, Kevin had to shut down new memberships to end it.
Well, there are STILL many of us here holding on because we love this site the the members belonging to it. We are like family here. I don't know where Kevin is regarding this site, nor do I know when if ever he will reopen membership. Now, I don't know what you other guys are going to do but I sure as hell am NOT going to jump ship! This place is like home to me and you fellas are like family. I'll be damn if I am going to leave, thus giving Spider EXACTLY what he wanted. The conversations may be fewer, and there may not be as much to talk about, but I'm still here and not going anywhere. I can only hope Kevin reopens the site. Members come and go, often leaving only because of life changes, such as employment responsibilities, health reasons, school and so on. Fresh blood is needed for any site. And I can't help but think there must be some way to do that without the security issues we had over the past year with bots and such. I belong to a gun forum which is very similar to this one and I never see the issues with bots or other security issues. But it is also very closely monitored and controlled. That is what is needed here. Until then, my hat still hangs in Bassfishin.com.
Old 12-16-13, 12:21 PM   #14
bamabassman

i lost the number to kevin when my last phone died. so i am so very sorry gang. i don't know what is going on with kevin. but maybe it's somehting important. hope so. this is not like him really.
Old 12-16-13, 01:39 PM   #15
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i lost the number to kevin when my last phone died. so i am so very sorry gang. i don't know what is going on with kevin. but maybe it's somehting important. hope so. this is not like him really.
Sorry Bama but I've been here for about 2 years and....

THIS IS EACTLY 'LIKE KEVIN'!!!!!!
Old 12-16-13, 02:13 PM   #16
Raul

During my (maybe year and a half absensce ? ) I missed something, how come the place is shut down ? WTH happened ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 04:55 PM   #17
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
During my (maybe year and a half absensce ? ) I missed something, how come the place is shut down ? WTH happened ?
We had a tremendous problem with bots signing up and posting all kinds of crazy stuff. The only thing that Kevin could come up with to stop it, after several tries, was to shut down the registering process altogether. In other words, NOBODY can sign up as a member.
Old 12-16-13, 07:17 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Sorry Bama but I've been here for about 2 years and....

THIS IS EACTLY 'LIKE KEVIN'!!!!!!
I've been here since '09 and "this" has been my experience too.

It would be nice if someone could or would take over the site and open it back up. That's the only chance we've got. If Kevin doesn't pay to retain the URL, can't anyone buy it? I don't know how that stuff works but I know people lose their websites all the time when stuff expires.
Old 12-16-13, 10:03 PM   #19
Bill M

Hate to say this guys, but a number of sites I am a member of has fallen off, nybass, bill dance fishtalk, njbassanglers, and here, not sure wassup. I am guilty of not posting as much as I should.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 11:13 AM   #20
Bryan

Hey guys,

As was mentioned, an influx of spam made closing new membership necessary. Kevin is currently working on fixing some issues and re-opening membership. I'm sure he would like to spend a lot more time on the site, (as well as on the water!) but he is extremely busy in "real life" so that has been difficult. I'm sure he'll give you an update when he can, until then, hold tight! He has not forgotten about you guys!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 01:28 PM   #21
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
We had a tremendous problem with bots signing up and posting all kinds of crazy stuff. The only thing that Kevin could come up with to stop it, after several tries, was to shut down the registering process altogether. In other words, NOBODY can sign up as a member.
So it´s just us and that´s it .... man we need to post and discuss until splitting hairs about how to T rig a worm or this place will be gone. I´m guilty too of not posting frequently, thanks for the explanation MB.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 01:44 PM   #22
bassinbob

As long as you guys are here I'm here. It's been a nice long boat ride with everyone. It is sad with what is going on and hope Kevin's word is true.
Old 12-17-13, 02:19 PM   #23
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Hey guys,

As was mentioned, an influx of spam made closing new membership necessary. Kevin is currently working on fixing some issues and re-opening membership. I'm sure he would like to spend a lot more time on the site, (as well as on the water!) but he is extremely busy in "real life" so that has been difficult. I'm sure he'll give you an update when he can, until then, hold tight! He has not forgotten about you guys!
I *really* want to believe this Bryan because I really enjoy this site, but if anyone looks at the contents of Kevin's 4 most recent posts to this site that I copied/pasted below, I think they would be hard-pressed to believe that anything will happen any time soon. I didn't change a single word below from the way it appears in the threads that I also provided links to. I did put some things in bold, red font that I've been sucked into believing in the past, but this time I think I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not mad or angry, just disappointed that this site has degraded so much and that it feels like we're being strung along with many of the statements below.

Dean

-----------------------

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishingforums/showthread.php?t=33340

08/09/12

Hi Everyone!

First off, let me give a big thanks to everyone for your help in notifying me about this most recent spam attack here on the forums. I've gone ahead and deleted most of what I have seen and what has been reported. So I am grateful for everyone's generous help and patience!

I've taken some initial measures today to help prevent this from happening in the future. However, as we all know, the spammers are smart and will always try to find ways get their crappy stuff posted, so I certainly appreciate the reporting of spam in the near future as well.

I'm looking forward to getting back on the forums and talking fishing. It's been awhile since I've been active. I've been busy and out of town quite bit, but should be setting down a lot as summer comes to a close.

I'm really thankful we have a group of anglers on these forums that really do the heavy-lifting to keep this place the incredible community that it is. I've always said this, and still do... the BassFishin.Com Forums is managed almost entirely by its members.. which is a unique and awesome thing. To keep it that way, I promise to do MUCH better from here on out in doing my part to delete spam posts and keep things tidy.

Hope everyone is doing great and learning some great stuff here. I've made so many friends here and I want to make sure everyone else does too. Such wonderful people here.

Thanks again and I look forward to participating this week and into the future!

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishingforums/showthread.php?t=37276

10/04/12

Stopping the Spam...

Hi Guys,

I'm so sorry for all these spam attacks recently. Thank you for everyone's help in notifying me of this. I have taken some serious actions to prevent any further spam from appearing on the forums.
· All new member registrations will require moderator approval.
· All new approved members will be subject to strict keyword-censorship monitoring (software) that will place their posts in moderation queue if detected as spam.
· I have implemented a strong Question & Answer that must be answered correctly in order to register.
· I will be monitoring the forums more closely since these have just been implemented.
As I'm sure you all are well aware, nothing is 100% bulletproof when it comes to stopping these spammers. But I feel after implementing what has been done, it will drastically reduce the chances of use seeing future spam posts.

I have deleted all visible spam posts that I could find. I think they are all gone, but if anyone finds others, please link to it in this thread if you are so kind.

I will be doing MUCH more tonight to help prevent this from happening again.

Thank you for everyone's help and continued patience. I want to make sure this is a fun and enjoyable environment for everyone.

I'm confident we'll see a drastic improvement with these prevention steps. There may be some registered spammers that are already "in", however, that may continue posting in the near short term... so continue to report them as spam.

Thanks to all and hope everyone is doing great and catching good fish this Fall.

Take care,

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishingforums/showthread.php?t=37784

01/13/13

A Special Thanks and Forum Upgrades Coming...

Dear Friends,

I wanted to post and share with everyone two things...

First, I want to share and express my sincere thanks and gratitude for your loyal fellowship and support here at the BassFishin.Com Forums. We have an incredible family here. I am always in awe of the kindness and generosity that comes from our members, as fishermen, and as friends. I am in debt to the many members that call our forum "home" that have been integral in making it what it is today. I am very proud.

Secondly, as many of you are aware, we have had problems with spam bots registering and posting on the site. This has been a problem for awhile and I have taken many steps to slow the flood of posts made by these bots. However, they continue to get by all preventative measures and still are flooding the boards.

I am committed to putting a stop to this, and will do everything I can to ensure the quality of our forum is maintained, and that we continue to improve and grow together successfully.

A recent conversation with John (aka. bamabassman) has brought to light that there is potential for getting help with moderation, to help prevent spam bots from gaining access to the forums. I think this is a great idea and I know this is an option with the forum software, but will look into how exactly to implement it, since I have not done it before.

So here is what's going to happen...
1. Going to update the forums to STOP spam registrations
2. Going to implement moderators to help maintain integrity of forums
3. Kevin (me) will regularly monitor the boards
4. We will delete all existing spam accounts and posts
5. Clean up "Who's online" to not show spam bots

All the above changes are going to be my first priority this week, and I promise to fix everything. We have an incredible group of people here, and I refuse to let anything stand in the way of us being able to talk and chat freely without problems. I want to do my part and make that happen.

I am in a debt of gratitude to many members on the site, with special thanks to bamabassman (John) for staying in touch with me and always looking out for the members.

Good days are ahead. We have a new fishing season upon us, and it is my goal to bring a new sense of fun and enjoyment to the forums.

Stay tuned for these updates and upgrades. I will be sure to post back as things progress.

Thank you to everyone again for your loyal support and fellowship.

Take care,
Kevin

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishingforums/showthread.php?t=38056

03/17/13

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd write a quick note to everyone to let you know I will be reopening the boards to new registrations tomorrow.

I have eliminated the problem of all the spam bots registering and being on the boards. It was actually a pretty complex situation that took considerably longer to figure out than I had hoped. But as of now, all things are good on the spam bot front--they are not overloading the server.

So tomorrow I will be opening registrations and have some extra help to moderate all new registrations to prevent spam bots from getting through.

Thank you everyone for your continued patience and support. I very much appreciate the many kind words that have been expressed in this thread. This forum has flourished because of the self-moderation of members, which has proven to be a unique attribute of the BFC forums!

Thanks and I'll be in touch soon! Take care and good fishin'!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-13, 04:42 PM   #24
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
As long as you guys are here I'm here. It's been a nice long boat ride with everyone. It is sad with what is going on and hope Kevin's word is true.
I feel the same way.
Old 12-17-13, 07:17 PM   #25
nobass

works for me as long as site is up and running i am here

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.