Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 12-26-13, 08:40 PM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Bang Boogie Bang!

Boogie is my oldest son, 10, and has been hunting with me off and on since he was 5. He finally went unassisted with his first deer. I know it's not a trophy on the camera, but it is 1 in our hearts.

We got dropped off by a friend one evening around 4. We got in the stand and got halfway situated. I picked up the range finder and got a few reference spots when I caught movement. I looked back in the ranger and saw a deer at 170 yds. I told him there is a deer at the back of the patch and he was like no way. We had been in the stand 5 min at the most and hadn't had a chance to practice a set up. I glassed the deer and it was a spike and I told him it's your call. And he wanted green light. I loaded the gun and tried to get him situated. He was too tall to stand up and too low to sit down and in an awkward half squat. Plus we were packed in the stand like 2 viennies. He said daddy I can't do it, I'm all over the place and I'm gonna miss. I saw a shooting stick in the corner and put it under the barrel of the stock on the gun. We must have fumbled around for 10 minutes trying to get him situated. Finally the deer filled up and eased out.

Needless to say he was distraught. I tried to calm him and told him he did the right thing by not taking the shot and I was proud of his decision. I told him we had plenty of time left. I got him settled and looked back down the line and saw another deer at about 15 yds. I told him she was there and he was saying I can't see her. I said I know because she is under us and you are going to have to stand up. I just kept saying be quiet. He spotted her and again told him it's your call. He gave the nod so I eased the gun to the rail. He kept saying I can't find her. Classic mistake, it's hard to find anything at that close on 15 power. I dropped the scope to 5 or so and he said I'm there. I cocked the hammer and said it's live. He eased off on the trigger of the .243 w/ 90 gr Scirocco and she jumped, hit the ground, got up again and I was thinking uh oh until I seen the trickle behind her shoulder. We were high giving and I was giving him nuggies and such. I always wondered how he would act since he has been up and down on hunting. While he is a tough kid, he is very tender hearted and caring and I just didn't know what his reaction would be to making a harvest. I didn't know if we would high five in happiness or hug him over heart break. But from the heartbeat and the heavy breaths, I think he might be in it for the long haul. I asked him after he shot what he felt. He said I like it and I told him welcome to the club homey! My buddy texted me and said no way that was you. I said yep, enjoy your hunt because I'm enjoying this for a little while longer, see you at dark.

The deer turned out to be a buck though that hadn't broke through. Although legal by youth standards, we can be a little more selective now that #1 is done.

Old 12-26-13, 11:02 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Congrats to you both. The first deer is the hardest for most hunters and it's always an accomplishment regardless of the size. There is nothing like getting someone into hunting, it's probably more addictive than fishing in a lot of regards.
Old 12-27-13, 07:02 AM   #3
kennethdaysale

Way to go Boogie and Bubba................a day yall will never forget!
Old 12-27-13, 10:14 AM   #4
lilmule

A great day spent together.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 11:52 AM   #5
WatterBoy

Not a hunter myself, but I have a brother-in-law and 3 nephews who are big-time into it, so I know how excited Boogie and you both are. Congrats!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 01:51 AM   #6
1/4 stick

WTG!!! I'm jealous.
Old 12-29-13, 11:43 AM   #7
keithdog

That's awesome man! Congrats to you both!
Old 12-29-13, 11:47 AM   #8
woody

Awesome! Way to go Boogie, bagging your first deer!

Garey, what a great way to spend quality time with your son. You're doing a great job, dad.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 02:10 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Congrats, Boogie. Great deer and I know your Dad is super proud of you.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.