Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-08, 10:04 AM   #51
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Some more progress. The rotten wood is removed and a new floor epoxied/glassed in under the console:

And under the storage area:

Here's a new casting deck cut, epoxied with West Systems and Glassed. The wood is 11-ply marine grade:

robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 10:54 PM   #52
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

very nice job there bud!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 04:41 PM   #53
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Things are really looking good there, keep us posted on your progress...as for the oxidation I would try http://http://www.poliglow-int.com/ I did this with my old boat after trying all sorts of different tricks and it worked great! Just be patient and take your time, it took me about 4-5 nights in the garage to get it where I wanted...this is what it looked like when I was done...

Old 08-19-08, 06:25 PM   #54
robertmee

Awesome work....I don't know if I can get it to that point without completely sanding past the metal flake. I'll post some pics soon of 3 DAYS of effort on wet sanding, compounding and polishing.
Old 08-19-08, 08:02 PM   #55
robertmee

Here's the latest....It's not perfect but a far site better than when I started. I fear anymore sanding and I'll hit flake. This is after a wash/dry but before wax.

Old 08-19-08, 08:25 PM   #56
bamabassman

now it is starting to look like new pal. great job there.
Old 08-27-08, 07:11 PM   #57
robertmee

Been raining all week and I threw out my back (long history of back issues), so not alot of work. I do have about half the boat carpeted, so those pics will be coming soon. Today in between rain showers I decided to clean up the gas tank. For those tough grimy jobs, there is NOTHING better than Blechewhite Automotive cleaner. Wear gloves as it is a bit irritating. I didn't and my pinkie finger is still burning

For the most part, spray it on, let it soak, wash it off. I used a sponge for a couple of tough spots.

Anyway, here's a before and after:

Before - Most all sides are like this

After - Looks like new (almost)
Old 08-27-08, 07:16 PM   #58
robertmee

And another 'opportunity' Afterall, that's what all these mini-projects are, right???

So, I'd really like to save these pedestal chairs. They are in pretty decent shape and I like the Glasstream logo. The issue is on both sides of the seat, the seam has pulled away. The vinyl is not really dry rotted and still feels plyable. Any suggestions on repairing? I thought about some superglue

Old 08-27-08, 08:36 PM   #59
bamabassman

try gorilla glue and then restaple it. best glue i have EVER used.
Old 08-28-08, 04:36 PM   #60
robertmee

The clouds finally parted today, and I spent a little time this afternoon, tidying up the battery compartment. I installed a new three-way ProMariner ProSport20 Plus 3-way charger (I only have 2 batteries tho ) tucked nicely behind the trolling motor battery.

Here's the starting battery with a new Battery Disconnect. I haven't connected the Grounds yet 'till I finish working on the boat. I'm using stainless clips and plastic wire wrap to tidy everything up.

All that's left is to wire in my new Bilge, re-wire the Aerator, and add a thermal breaker/cutout for the trolling motor. Oh, and I'm going to add some in-line fuses as the small control panel on the boat has NONE!
Old 08-28-08, 07:05 PM   #61
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Man, that looks great!! I love seeing the before and after pictures.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 09:51 PM   #62
bamabassman

the wrap makes everything look professional and clean pal. VERY nicely done. you get some gorilla glue for da seat?
Old 08-28-08, 10:35 PM   #63
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
the wrap makes everything look professional and clean pal. VERY nicely done. you get some gorilla glue for da seat?

Not yet, but I plan too....Thanks for the compliments. My hat's off to those who have done this before and/or do it for a living. It's HARD work!
Old 08-29-08, 05:28 AM   #64
1FASTLASER

Mr. Robertme,
Can I suggest a solution to a old problem. Before you really get done rewiring make it easy on yourself. If only costs a few dollars......around 20 right off the top of my head. Run 2 wires up to your console (underneath of course). One of them goes to the negative side and becomes a central port for all connections now and the future. The other being one connected to your positive side of the battery and the other end going to a fuse panel. They can be had for around10 bucks or so. Now you only have the engine wires and those 2 cables running up through the maze AND you will have an easy access place for future hookups or a easier access if something goes wrong. Electronics such as your depth finders should have a 3 amp fuse and NO MORE. Everything else will be using a 10 amp unless specified otherwise form the manufacturer. Trust me this is the way to go.
The fuse panel will have a strip that is connected at one end and have a larger terminal for the power wire. I STROBGLY suggest using what I use. 6 gauge wire for both the neg. and the positive. It will carry sufficent amps to the negative port and positive fuse panel.
Old 08-29-08, 07:26 AM   #65
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Mr. Robertme,
Can I suggest a solution to a old problem. Before you really get done rewiring make it easy on yourself. If only costs a few dollars......around 20 right off the top of my head. Run 2 wires up to your console (underneath of course). One of them goes to the negative side and becomes a central port for all connections now and the future. The other being one connected to your positive side of the battery and the other end going to a fuse panel. They can be had for around10 bucks or so. Now you only have the engine wires and those 2 cables running up through the maze AND you will have an easy access place for future hookups or a easier access if something goes wrong. Electronics such as your depth finders should have a 3 amp fuse and NO MORE. Everything else will be using a 10 amp unless specified otherwise form the manufacturer. Trust me this is the way to go.
The fuse panel will have a strip that is connected at one end and have a larger terminal for the power wire. I STROBGLY suggest using what I use. 6 gauge wire for both the neg. and the positive. It will carry sufficent amps to the negative port and positive fuse panel.
That's kind of what I have already....There are only two hots leaving the battery compartment. One goes to a central distribution at the console and the other goes to the ignition bundle. Well, there's also a #6 leaving the trolling battery straight to the trolling connector (i'm currently on the hunt for a thermal breaker for this). The difference is that I don't have the fuse box currently. That's what I have left to wire in. I thought about a fuse box, but there's no space on the console for a fused switchbox, so I'd have to mount a fuseblock underneath. My other solution was to use individual in-line fuses on each leg leaving the distribution for each device (pumps, lights, finders). I'll have to crawl under the console and see how much rewiring would be involved in putting in a block. The in-lines would of course be easier and just as safe. But certainly, not as elegant of a solution

Last edited by robertmee; 08-29-08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-14-08, 12:15 PM   #66
robertmee

Been awhile since I've updated. The work has been very sporadic due to all the rain we've been getting. Between remnants of Gustav, then Hanna, we've had rain for it seems two solid weeks. My garage isn't big enough for the boat, so I only work in the driveway when it's dry.

BUT, GETTING VERY CLOSE!! Finally, I should say. I'm getting anxious to finally use it on the lake. I'm hoping THIS weekend.

Since I last updated, I installed the new casting deck, recarpeted the entire boat, fixed the seats and re-installed all the hardware. Also re-wired the trolling plug and installed a new receptacle.

THINGS TO DO:

1) I'm going to remove the radio antennae and plug it. I don't intend on putting a stereo on this boat.

2) Install a breaker on the trolling motor. Just have to go to the store to pick it up.

3) Fix my carpet job on the rod compartment lid. I've got a couple of puckers. Need to slit them open, spread some glue under them and push them back down. That long lid was a bear to keep the carpet straight, and contact cement is not forgiving

4) Permanently install the driver/passenger seats. They're just sitting in there right now.

Anyway, here are some pics:

New Carpet...You can see my puckers on the storage locker

Rear of boat

Live well, storage, casting deck

Driver's console

Rear casting deck
Old 09-14-08, 03:59 PM   #67
bamabassman

looks like a new boat to me buddy. looks fantastic.
Old 09-15-08, 12:01 AM   #68
MississippiBoy

After all that work, all you have to complain about is a couple wrinkles in one section of carpet? You should be very pleased with that. Very good looking boat. Excellent job.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 08:46 AM   #69
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Mr. Robertme, you have done a near perfect job every step of the way. That little rig looks great!
Old 09-15-08, 11:12 PM   #70
flfireman

Very,very,continue here......... nice work. I wish I had the time and patience to do a job like that. Boat looks like new.
Old 09-16-08, 08:07 AM   #71
robertmee

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. It definitely took A) longer than I anticipated, and B) more money than I anticipated, but I'm looking forward to putting her on the water (hope she doesn't leak!!).

I couldn't have done it without the guidance of those here and on the bassboat restoration forum.

Thanks!!
Old 10-14-08, 04:41 PM   #72
SteveG1967
BassFishin.Com Member

New to the forum, but I had to post on this, that is an awesome job! Have you had a chance to get it in the water yet? How did everything work for you? Again, fantastic job!
SteveG1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 04:49 PM   #73
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1967 View Post
New to the forum, but I had to post on this, that is an awesome job! Have you had a chance to get it in the water yet? How did everything work for you? Again, fantastic job!
Hey Steve. Yeah, I took it out weekend before last. Motor ran like a top. I have an issue with my steering cable (likely rust) and don't get full steer to one side. I also couldn't get aeration going. The pump runs, but I get no flow into either well, so it's either a bad pump, a clogged inlet line or a leaking outlet line (don't think so since I can see it all the way to the first well). The boat itself tracks smooth on the water. It's a weird feeling sitting so low in the water compared to my ski-boat but it's fun. I received a Garmin gps/sonar this week that I need to install this weekend. Plan to take it back out to Gaston this weekend.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by robertmee; 10-14-08 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 08:51 PM   #74
Basscrazie

Nice job..Looks great.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 07:48 PM   #75
WTL

It always takes more money than you will anticipate.

But that is a great job. You cant put a price on the confidence you gain doing it yourself and doing it right.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.