Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-02-09, 07:43 PM   #1
dynakin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1st baitcaster broke, help!!

I got my first baitcaster this past summer and have been practicing. I got a bad backlash yesterday and once I got it out I noticed a problem. The handle will crank with no problem but the spool does not turn. I can turn it with my thumb but the crank will not do it. I took the line of and the spool turned. It seems as though it won't turn with any resistance. It is an inexpensive reel, but I did not want to go all out with the first one. It is an Abu Garcia silvermax. It seems as though the gears are stripped or something, but I have no idea. Since it is relatively new I don't want to take it apart and void the warranty. Any help please, what should I try??
dynakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 08:13 PM   #2
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds like your drag might have loosened up.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 08:31 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

is there a piece of line stuck on the side of the spool
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 08:36 PM   #4
dynakin
BassFishin.Com Member

I have tightened and loosened the drag and the brake adjustment to no avail. Abu Garcia said to send it back and they would look at it and replace it if it was a defect. Is it possible I could have messed up something by cranking too hard when the line was stuck due to the backlash. Thanks so far for the info.
dynakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 09:08 PM   #5
abu4600

If tou forced the handle while the spool was locked up you could have stripped a gear.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 09:19 PM   #6
Kevin
Administrator

One common cause of this a little metal wire (called the "Clutch Pawl Spring") that connects the thumb switch to your drive gear's clutch inside of the reel. Sometimes, often when pulling on the line real hard, that little thin wire will break, causing the exact thing to happen you are describing (turning the reel handle does not turn the spool). This has happened to me.

The reel it happened on was an old reel and at the time I just put it to the side to fix some later date, but never bothered with it again. However, I'm fairly certain it's an easy fix and it probably wouldn't cost you a dime for the mfg'er to send you this spare part in the mail since it probably costs 2 cents. Find a schematic online for your reel and look up the "Clutch Pawl Spring". If you feel comfortable taking your reel apart... that's most likely the issue. If you don't feel comfortable taking it apart, at least you have an idea what the problem may be. I highly doubt it has anything to do with your gears.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.
Old 02-13-09, 09:14 AM   #7
Bassboss

It sounds like you striped the gears! Lets abu finds the problem, fixes it, or sends you a new one!
Old 02-13-09, 09:19 AM   #8
Bassboss

This video may help you with you back lashes! BTW-that's Kevin in the video! ^^

http://www.bassfishin.com/videos/how-to.php?v=14
Old 02-13-09, 09:33 AM   #9
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

that was a good video bassboss
Old 02-13-09, 10:23 AM   #10
sharpe012010

had this happen on the same exact reel, i just jam the thumb button down hard one time then it fixes..now that reel is in a curado e7 box collecting dust
Old 02-13-09, 03:03 PM   #11
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah i have a reel like what Kevin was saying.... if you dont push the thumb bar all the way down you can crank but it wont crank the spool.... try puching the button down and then cranking it to snap it into place.... if that dont work push it back with your thumb (puch up from the bottom).... if puching it up and down with your thumb dont work it must be the bearings which Abu Garcia will replace
Old 02-13-09, 07:53 PM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1503 View Post
that was a good video bassboss
No prob! I'll do what ever I can to get the vids more publicized! All of them are kick!
Old 03-12-09, 10:17 AM   #13
CHRGD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe012010 View Post
had this happen on the same exact reel, i just jam the thumb button down hard one time then it fixes..now that reel is in a curado e7 box collecting dust

How do you like that E7? I just saw Dick's has a 200 E7 for $179.99. Was thinking of getting one. Thanks
CHRGD is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.