Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 08-11-09, 10:46 AM   #1
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

Default My first Attempt at Repainting A Crankbait

My first time every touching an airbrush too.
I decided to give this a try while waiting for my jig molds to arrive from Janns.

I used an old Manns deep diver yellow crankbait. the split rings and hooks are shot so I removed and pitched them. I used green painters tape and taped the bill up and suspended the bait on two snap swivels on a folding lladder.

I started out by lightly sanding the bait and painted with grey etching primer. After blow drying the etching primer and hitting it with fine steel wool, I opened a cheap airbrush I bought at Harbor Freight for $14.00 and painted the bait with some acrylic gold paint with 14 k gold flake. I put two coats on, blowdrying each coat. Next I taped some mesh over the bait to make scales and mixed some acrylic kelly green paint and painted the sides fading to the bottom and top.
For the last i mixed some forest green acrylic with some black acylic to get it darker and painted the top and vertical stripes that run down the sides.

I finished by brushing on a thin layer of top coat and sprinkled on some make up glitter I stole from my kid. After blow drying that coat, I did one more coat of clear.

I need to find some devcon epoxy I read about. and make up some way to spin the bait until that can dry. It was a lot of fun and I don't think it looks too terrible. I definately need more colors and air brush lessons. I couldn't figure out how to adjust my spray fine anough for what i want to do. I will buy a better airbrush if I get any better at this. I'm searching now for an airbrush class near me. I did find all the acrylic paint at hobby lobby for around $1.00 a bottle. The eyes are just "glow in the dark" stick ons I found locally.

It does look better than the pics I took with my 2mp phone.

I'm reading all the topics I can find...lots to leard about this!

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0811090741.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	4072   Click image for larger version

Name:	0811090741a.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	4073   Click image for larger version

Name:	0811090742.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	4074  
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 11:04 AM   #2
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

looks nice
Old 08-11-09, 11:39 AM   #3
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If it's a double action airbrush, just lower your psi and get real close and don't pull back on the trigger very much. Also remove the air cap if you have one.

Not bad for your first time with a airbrush, it's just takes practice. Great job!
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 12:32 PM   #4
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

Sac,
I appriciate the advise on the airbrush. I have held one before yesterday and have no ideas what a "good one" is. The userguide doesn't say anything about dual action...just the operating pressure is 26-60 psi. I had mine set at 25. I did thin the paints down with water to what I thought was thin enough to go through the gun. I did expierence constant times of no paint coming out. I would shake it a little and point it off to the side and press and pull back and got it to spray. I could not get the spray down to a fine line at all. I did remove the cap over the needle and nothing came out with it off. I put the cap back on and got a spray?

Any reccomendations on a good economic airbrush? Paints? etc.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 08-11-09, 05:59 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you got it at harbor frieght, I don't care how much you payed for it, it probably isn't good, lol.

Looks good for a first time painting a crankbait, or using an airbrush!

BB
Old 08-21-09, 12:14 AM   #6
66KingFisher

Actually, concidering you have zero airbrush experience and you used $1 bottle craft paints, you did an amazing job.....buying a better airbrush can make you a better painter.....so don't wait to get better when your using crappy equipment.....it takes sooooo much longer that way...lol....use good tools and you'll get good results.

I give basic and intermediate airbrush lessons...where are you located?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 07:06 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Looks good! You order from Janns eh? I do too and they seem like a good place to buy. Both times I've ordered from them, I've got my stuff in 3 days
Old 08-21-09, 11:01 PM   #8
1/4 stick

Great job. I like that color!
Old 08-22-09, 10:39 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Looks good! You order from Janns eh? I do too and they seem like a good place to buy. Both times I've ordered from them, I've got my stuff in 3 days
Yeah, Jann's is awesome. My dad is friends with the owner, and it's like closer to me than BPS. I get all my lure making stuff there.

BB
Old 08-22-09, 10:10 PM   #10
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replys folks.
I live in South eastern Ohio, halfway between Dayton OHio and Richmond Indiana. I have checked and no lessons near me save for a neigbor down the road that airbrushes at fairs and carnivals.
I do have a Hobby Lobby coupon for 40% off a Iwata Eclipse airbrush, be around $80 bucks or so...if they are any good?

I have placed a few orders from janns, just doit molds, powder paint, and hooks so far. I am getting ready to order some skirting material soon.

Thanks
Ron
Old 08-22-09, 10:33 PM   #11
JB

ron I'd check You tube for tutorials on airbrushing, they have tons of tutorials on art and photo taking etc, its where I've fine tuned my skills at.
click here
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 11:19 PM   #12
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
Thanks for the replys folks.
I live in South eastern Ohio, halfway between Dayton OHio and Richmond Indiana. I have checked and no lessons near me save for a neigbor down the road that airbrushes at fairs and carnivals.
I do have a Hobby Lobby coupon for 40% off a Iwata Eclipse airbrush, be around $80 bucks or so...if they are any good?

I have placed a few orders from janns, just doit molds, powder paint, and hooks so far. I am getting ready to order some skirting material soon.

Thanks
Ron
Check with your local Hobby Lobby about airbrush lessons....many times they have a local artist hold lessons at their locations or they might know of some local airbrushers that they can put you in contact with.....I know there are alot of airbrushers in the indiana/ohio area....a bunch of them just had a big free airbrush get-together in Indiana just a week or two ago....alot of them hang out at Airbrush.com if your interested.

And "YES" the Iwata Eclipse is not only a good brush, but its a great brush....you can't go wrong with it.....its one of my main goto airbrushes.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 12:38 AM   #13
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
Not only is Iwata good, they are probably the best airbrush manufacture out there. The Eclipse series is their utility model, and can easily handle anything a novice can throw at it. It is also one of the most forgiving brushes as far as the media you run through it. I have run everything from high end airbrush paints to liquid makeups through mine and it is still chugging right along. I'd suggest the top-loading gravity feed models like the HP-BC or HP-CS for making baits as you will be mostly using tiny amounts of paint and changing colors frequently. The gravity feed will let you use a dropper bottle to feed it paint and you can simply flush it between colors. The createx acrylics are a good quality water-based paint and many of the local bait makers here use them.

About the only thing you would gain with one of Iwata's higher end brushes is micro-fine control over your lines, and I really don't see you needing to paint lines 1/3 the width of a human hair. While these brushes rock for mega detail, they are wasted on anyone who isn't OMFG skilled with an airbrush and are VERY picky about what you run through them. Stick with the Eclipse and you will be happy.

When it comes to bait making, the skills needed with an airbrush are truly minimal. I'd honestly just focus on learning to properly care for it, clean it, and just get to understand the relationships the brush has with the trigger and pressure. Most of bait painting is just a varient of spraying a straight line or making a dot. Not too complicated really once you understand how a brush works. Grab hold of some cheap black liquid acrylic, thin it out, and play around on paper for awhile. Iwata brushes come with a pretty basic booklet on how to use an airbrush IIRC, and it should teach you everything you need to know about airbrushing for painting baits.

If you need any more info on using them or caring for them, drop me a line. I use the things constantly as I do special effects makeup for a living...

Last edited by wargoth; 09-01-09 at 12:47 AM.
wargoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.