Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 08-04-13, 01:28 AM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Two weeks of fishing (ridiculous # of pics)

I was blessed to be able to spend 12 days at the lake with many family members in mid-July. We hosted Kaye's family (14 of us) for the first 4 days. We had 3 boats, good weather, fish that were cooperative, and most of the group who liked to fish as much as possible. The result was 271 fish, including 20 keeper walleye, caught in 4 days. All 14 of us caught fish and everyone had an outstanding time.

I caught my best bass of the year the first evening -- 4lb 7oz, 18.75" -- and my brother-in-law caught a decent 3lb 7oz, 17.5" LM during that first outing also.

The next morning my nephew caught a 3lb 7oz LM also, this one at 17.25".

My 9-year old nephew has overcome his walleye family roots and become a bass addict...

His two older brothers and me...

My nephew, who is now off at Army basic training, and me...

After everyone left except me, my parents, aunt/uncle and one nephew arrived for the next 4 days. When my aunt/uncle left, Kaye and many others from my family (18 total out of a possible 26) arrived for the final 4 days of my stay. We were reduced to just one boat and not nearly as many fishermen/women over the last 8 days. Those things, along with a few brutally hot days, slowed the fishing a bit, but we still managed to bring in another 177 fish with everyone who fished (11 of us) catching multiple fish.

The best part for me was being able to take my dad out in our boat again, which I wasn't sure would ever happen again after a rough health year for him in 2012. He didn't slay the fish by any means, but he and I were just excited to be out several times in the boat together and he did catch a few decent ones, so that was icing on the cake!

Here are pics of some of the better fish from the last part of my stay...

My second best bass for the year -- 4lb 3oz, 17.875" -- from a new spot we discovered, which turned out to be the best location of my entire stay:

A pair of 3 1/2 pounders caught in almost the same spot on different outings:

My nephew, who hadn't fished in 7+ years, with the biggest fish caught at our cabin this year -- a 5lb 1oz, 29" pike caught from our dock:

His younger brother with a nice 3lb 5oz Smallie:

My dad and my uncle...

My dad and me...

My sister, who has fished only a handful of times in her life, was THRILLED to catch 6 fish during her last outing of the week. I caught another nice one at 3lb 7oz.

I caught my best Smallie of the week (3lb 8oz) on my second cast with a Super Spook jr. from our shoreline just before dark one evening.

And right behind fishing with my dad as the highlight of the week is my wonderful wife Kaye. She ALWAYS encourages me to go out fishing any time we're at the cabin, and she takes care of EVERYTHING else while I'm out fishing. She graciously gave up her spot in the fishing rotation every time so other family members could fish instead. So it was only fitting that when she, my nephew and I went out for one last outing after everyone else had left, she caught a personal best Smallmouth, which was also the biggest Smallie caught at our cabin this year. Way to go, Kaye!

4lb 2oz, 19"

WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 09:12 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am BEAMIONG with a smile form ear to ear dean. chuckling too at all the smiles i see form oyu and oyur family. it does my heart good to see EVERYONE having such a good time. and thank GOD oyur dad was able to get out with you too. totatly awesum man.

tell your sister she has to hold the fish WITH HER HAND, hahahaha!!!
Old 08-04-13, 12:28 PM   #3
bcklash

Dean, I love your reports and pictures.
Old 08-04-13, 06:45 PM   #4
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i am BEAMIONG with a smile form ear to ear dean. chuckling too at all the smiles i see form oyu and oyur family. it does my heart good to see EVERYONE having such a good time. and thank GOD oyur dad was able to get out with you too. totatly awesum man.

tell your sister she has to hold the fish WITH HER HAND, hahahaha!!!
Working on it, bama. I was soooooooo close to getting her to try it for that picture, but just couldn't quite convince her. I'll work on it harder for next year.
Old 08-06-13, 11:54 PM   #5
Jrob78

Awesome report Dean!
Old 08-07-13, 07:18 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

And a good time was had by all. Loved the report AND the pics! I'm surprised there are not more pike being caught.
Old 08-07-13, 10:57 AM   #7
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
And a good time was had by all. Loved the report AND the pics! I'm surprised there are not more pike being caught.
I'm certainly no expert on pike fishing, but it is my understanding that they tend to be in the deeper (cooler) water during the summertime. I was getting anywhere from 74 to 83 degree water temp readings last time I was at the lake, so I'm guessing many of them are deeper than the 8' and under that we almost always fish. That and we use a lot of senkos & zoom worms, which tends to cut down on the numbers of pike we catch also. Sometime I should really learn how to fish deeper...because I'm sure plenty of lunker bass head to deeper waters in the summertime also.
Old 08-07-13, 11:07 AM   #8
Wishing2BFishing

Is this a public lake or private? Either way, seems like you caught a lot of fish . . .
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 01:19 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Is this a public lake or private? Either way, seems like you caught a lot of fish . . .
It's a public lake, approximately 1500 acres. Info about the lake here if anyone really cares.

Last year when I was corresponding with the DNR in that area about some tagged bass I had caught, they shared a letter with me that two gentlemen had written to them where the two of them were calling this lake the "Dead Sea." That letter made me chuckle. We are currently well ahead of last year's fish-catching pace and we finished 2012 with 1,102 fish caught by people staying at our cabin. I wonder what those guys were fishing for and how/where they were going about it. Good stuff.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.