Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 08-04-13, 09:49 AM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Talking F-i-n-a-l-l-y !!!!

yep as all of oyu who i have a phone number too saw.....I GOT A COUPLE OF KEEPERS ON THE DEAD SEA !!!

since i am on lisa's desk top and the pics are on my phone, i haven't learned how to post pics i sent as of yet. but man.....it felt GREAT to FINALLY catch some decent bass !!

i had been texting ol ssissippiboy about what ot do and so forth. well as i was sitting in the RAJUN CAJUN and looking at my gear, i decided ot change everything i had. EXCEPT for the lizzard,lol. so i tied on things i had NEVER thought would work. and said to myself..."gonna change till i find what works on this lake if it takes forever to do it."

so 1 rod was a finesse jig (thunderstruck with a bama craw), 1 was a green/yellow with orange belly 8-12 fot crank,1 was a black with red tail worm,then a red lipless crank on another...anyway i changed EVERYTHING except for the lizzard rod.

i launch out in the channel and troll towards the dam area daniel and i discussed. he said to fish the sand bar at the end of the channel. i have fished this sand bar before with a little success, mostly dinks chasing shad when they are pulling water.

this time i was using the lil buzzbait on the oppsite side where the is SOME grass. nuthing happening right? so i cross over to the deeper drop off side. i sling the black worm....nuthin. i go BACK up and drift down (they ain't pulling water so it's SLOW going). i throw out the jig, the spinnerbait, the silver spoon, the cranks. each time going back up and drifting down.

i throw all my OTHER baits and nothing is happening. so i look at the ol lizzard rod. say to it,"you're my only hope...." i grab it and start slinging. i throw at all the same areas, trees and such right next to the bank. and at the VERY end, well almost the ned of the channel there are 2 little patches of grass. i sling the ol lizzie at the first one. 4 casts...NUTHIN. then i throw at the 2nd patch. first cast....I SEE THE LINE HEADING TO THE DEEP...I BRACE MYSELF.....WHAM...SET THE HOOK. GOT IT !!! measured 19 3/4 inches.

biggest largemouth bass i have EVER caught in this lake. so i am trying to get the hook out but it was too deep and it bled to death while i was holding it and "swimming" it in the water trying to keep it alive. ok, it died. so i kept it for supper.

this was at about 6 am.

so i go back to the other side where there is a little slew and i catch a dink at the mouth of it. "great...back to the same oh, same oh." i thought. still ont he lizzard rod....use what works is my motto,lol.

anyway, i am ever so slowly inching my way into this slew slinging at the every spot of grass there is and getting nothing. to the right there is a stick that someone punched in a lil opening to mark a bream bed. i know cause i ahve seen them fishing it and there are bobbers everytime i go in there. so i sling my last cast at the stick (before i leave) and as soon it hit the water it seemed it took off. i se tthe hook and got my 2nd keeper. this one measured 16 3/4 inches. i didn't measure the girth of either fish and my scales are shot. but i am guessing the big one was around 3 plus and the 2nd was 2 plus pounds.

i go to CAITLYN'S spot, i'll let daniel tell aobut that, and tried everything all over again without any luck. then i go to my other "spot" to find a couple of jet fleas ruining it. so i go to the far end of the area and tried it..nothing doing. it's now almost 1pm and getting hot as all get out. so i loaded up and went to the house. today we feast on the 2 keepers i got yesterday. hahaha!!

i know this is pretty long, but i am jsut so happy to FINALLY get a decent fish out that lake.
Old 08-04-13, 10:07 AM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Way to go, John...that's awesome! A 19.75" LM here would be pushing 5 pounds, but not sure how chunky they are in your DEAD SEA.

Speaking of which, that reminds me of a funny story. Last year while I was interacting with the local DNR up by our cabin about some tagged bass I had caught on the lake our cabin is on, I saw a copy of a letter they received from two gentlemen complaining about how poor our lake was for fishing and how it was so bad they now called it the DEAD SEA. I wanted to write back and tell them we caught 988 fish there in 2011 and 1,102 last year just from people staying at our cabin...but I didn't.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 08:43 PM   #3
Bassboss

Happy to hear John!! Cant wait to see the pics. I gotta buddy down there who fishes the Dead Sea allot in school tourney's and he can't stand the lake!
Old 08-05-13, 10:40 PM   #4
nobass

way to go john. haven't hooked a decent fish since dale hallow
Old 08-05-13, 10:52 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

Way to go, John boy. You had a good thought going...."if what I've always done doesn't work, it's time to change something."

For the rest of you that are curious about what "Caitlyn's spot" is, it's where my little girl picked out for Papa John to fish. One night a couple weeks ago, he told me he was going fishing that Saturday. I had Caitlyn in my lap playing on the iPad, pulled up Google Earth, found the lake and where Bama was going to put in, and asked her where she thought he should fish. I suggested the sand bar by the channel where he caught that first one, and she picked a point farther down where there's a bunch off houses with piers. Looks like my spot did ok. Maybe hers will produce next time.
Old 08-06-13, 06:18 AM   #6
lilmule

And henceforth shall be reffered to as The Dead Sea Scrolls.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 07:16 AM   #7
keithdog

Glad you tied into a couple nice ones John. That REALLY helps to get anyone fired up to get back out there! Way to go man.
Old 08-06-13, 09:32 PM   #8
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Celebrate good times, come on!!! Way to go Bama! It does feel great to tie into a good one after countless dinks! Happy, happy, happy for you. Can't wait to see the pics!
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13, 10:20 PM   #9
aikenyounggun

Wow. The dinkmaster delivers. Glad you got on some better ones finally. Lisa (guess Mrs. Lisa to me) wasn't even there to show ya how it's done. Good job bama
Old 08-07-13, 08:38 PM   #10
bamabassman

thanks gang. i laughed out loud muley....THAT was a good one pal.

and aiken....lisa WAS wishing she could have been out there with me. she is ready to hit guntersville when it cools off a little and there is a good overcast day. seeing how she can't get in the sun no more ya know. i truly hate that she can't, but would rather her saty snow white than to have sun cancer spots all over her. she is adjusting as best she can though.

and yes folks, "CAITLYN'S SPOT" does look really good. i would pass it alot to go to another spot, never REALLY looked it over. it has 2-3 nice little drops starting at 3 ft then 10 ft then down to 20-24 ft. but the fish weren't there that day. nothing showed on my sonar and nothing bit. but i WILL give it another try for SURE. and WHEN i DO post up the pics, i am gonna post up daniel showing caitlyn the map they studied. her eyes are what are something, she is REALLY studying the lake. i love it.
Old 08-08-13, 03:16 PM   #11
66KingFisher

Photos???....It didn't happen if you don't have photographic evidence to back up your story...lol
Old 08-08-13, 03:28 PM   #12
lilmule

He does its just that the pic weighed so much it wont upload
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.