Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-07-09, 04:10 PM   #26
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have to edit my original choices that I mentioned. Thanks to you con conspirators of the bait monkey...lol....I put some tried two new lines. I went to the Suffix Elite for mono and the seaguar invisix for my fluoro. I would say that they are the best I have used to date.
Old 02-08-09, 08:19 PM   #27
Volman
BassFishin.Com Member

Whatever line you use, treat it with KVD Line & Lure Conditioner.
http://www.lineandlure.com/ You won't believe the difference, especially with fluro and braid.
Old 02-09-09, 05:05 PM   #28
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like trilene but I heard suffix is real good mono. I heard good things about BPS flouro too.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 09:37 PM   #29
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I never tried flourocarbon until about August of last year. I just picked up some Berkley and I could not believe the difference in sensitivity. I also tried tungsten weights for the first time. We were fishing right before the hurricance, don't remember the name, hit Galveston. We were at Okhissa in South MS with about 25-35 mph winds and I couldn't believe the sensitivity that stuff gives off. I really can't throw an opinion about the different kinds and what's the best because it is the only one I have ever used, but I know I outfished my buddy 2:1 due to the sensitivity of picking fish up in 20+ foot of water in a creek channel. It does seem a little stiff, but I can cover some serious distance with an 1/8-1/4 TX rig worm with minimal backlash. It sort of reminds me of that old Stren 7/20 or 14/40 line, anybody remember that stuff. LOL
Old 02-12-09, 10:00 PM   #30
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yo Zoir has a good one, I like it a lot, I would not recommend it for a main line though, it's got a lot of memory. As far as mono BPS exele is good and cheep, very low memory.
Old 05-10-09, 09:48 AM   #31
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

Depends on the conditions. If I'm pitchin' & flippin' in heavy cover i like 15-20 lb. Berkley Big Game. For all around use on spinning reels, 8 lb. Trilene Smooth Cast works great. For overall baitcasting, 12 lb. Stren original deserves credit.
Charles Slone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 10:19 PM   #32
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm a Mono guy ;} for good reasons. I did braid in the late 80's/90's I came back to Mono.

I use 12# Berkley Trilene Big Game (Steel Blue) on an ABU Garcia 4600C3 w/
5' 6" Conolon medium action IM7 graphite rod by ABU Garcia. (I like short rods, they just work for me.)

Don't buy 12# or 15# Stren High Impact it has memory like an Elephant; it never forgets!!! Nor use 15# Cajun Red Lightnin' Line you'll be RED MAD TOO!

I also use 10# Berkley Trilene Big Game (Steel Blue)
& 8# Academy Tournament Choice Mono on the spare spool of an Shimano Sonora 2500FA spinning reel.

I seen on TV "Linders Angling Edge" some line comparisons underwater of braid, mono & fluoro. The braid, wow you could see that stuff like a neon sign. The Clear Mono & Fluoro not that much difference. Why Pay More? Buy Mono.

"I try and buy "Made in The USA" as much as I can, it matters more than ever."

Last edited by EastTexas; 05-28-09 at 10:31 PM.
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 07:49 AM   #33
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

EastTexas, I'd definately give braid a try again. In the late 80's the "braid" you were fishing with was most likely Dacron. Which compared to today's braids was like steel wire. Sufix Performance braid is the best I've ever used, w/ power pro coming in second.

For mono, All I use now in Sten Super Knot (for higher lb test lines) or Sufix Elite (haven't tried Seige yet).

One more thing, East, Fluoro IS clearer in water than mono, even if by a small margin. So you ask why pay more? well, fluoro has so much more sensitivity than mono. While not as sensitive as braid, it definately beats mono by a long shot.

I only use mono for topwater and crankbait fishing.

BB
Old 05-30-09, 04:44 AM   #34
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

BB, have you tried flouro for cranks? I love it, it gets me more depth, like 2 ft on deep divers, and I feel that I get a few more bites per day due to the clarity.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 09:47 PM   #35
BigBassin144

bassin, I haven't yet for one main reason: I never do alot of deep crankin'. I fish bandit 100's, rapala DT 4's, 1 minuses.

I never to much cranking over 8ft deep. But I have heard it's great for deeper crankbaits.

BB
Old 05-30-09, 11:19 PM   #36
BassinID

Cool, I figured you of all people have weighed the options. IMO it still may be a good idea to throw both a few days and see if you have increased hookups on flouro, I sure do.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 04:59 PM   #37
dodgeguy

cajun red cast is great not red lightening!!!seguar invizx is the best flouro imho.i personally am back to all braid and have settled on berkley's new fireline braid.

Last edited by dodgeguy; 05-31-09 at 06:41 PM.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 05:18 PM   #38
mariner

i think that stren original is hard to beat.
i have had bad experences with berkely line and refuse to use it now
Old 06-01-09, 09:37 AM   #39
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Sometimes answers to questions like this can be more confusing then anything else. The more time you spend experimenting with different lines you'll make your own choice's. In the meanwhile I would suggest keeping it simple. Use a national brand not some bargain basement line. Cheap line will frustrate you to no end. Do some research on the different types of lines and what their use's are and than compare those types to the type of fishing you do. Personally I think most brand name lines will have their pro's and con's , there no substitute for time on the water to test lines, lures or techniques. So figure out what type of fishing you're going to be doing and read up on the various lines.
Maybe this will help as a general guide line-- topwater-use mono or maybe braid
Cranking- either flourocarbon or mono. Flipping / Pitching- Flouro, mono or braid
Plastic's- Flouro or mono
Line size again depends on the type of fishing you are going to do.
Clear, heavily fished waters may require really light 4-8# where pitching/ flipping into heavy cover may require 65# braid. Cranking can go from 8-12 # again depending on conditions.
Hope this helps.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 06:35 PM   #40
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have used vicious fluoro. Very good line and a good price. I also like izorline which is a copolymer line. With fluoro, really use your line spray and do not fill the spool to much. other then that either is a good line.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 09:11 PM   #41
BigBassin144

Anyone else tried the Fireline braid? I'd be interested in trying it, but don't need more line at the moment.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.