Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-03-09, 01:58 PM   #1
windycitybass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Shoreline fishing?

I'm hoping for some suggestions on shoreline fishing, particularly for techniques and lure tips for resevoirs and rivers. I've only had luck fishing from a boat, but since times are tough I'd much rather cut down on renting boats.

Thanks.
windycitybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 04:29 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I can only speak to resevoirs on this one.
I use just about everything except drop shot from the shore the same as in a boat. I have used D/S from shore, but only in deeper water. Same with my deeper cranks.
I am more likely to rig my plastics weightless when tossing from the shore than in the boat since I do not usually need to reach the same depths.
I let the structure dictate what I throw, same as in the boat.
Old 04-03-09, 05:13 PM   #3
Gbassman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

try fishing around boat docks and boat houses. also try the areas where water flows under a bridge. try lizards, spinnerbaits, carolina rigs and jerkbaits.
Old 04-04-09, 08:32 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The first thing I would do is get a pair of wadders or knee high rubber boots. That will allow you to get off of shore enough to make cast into areas you couldn't otherwise cast into. For example. I often times want to cast parallel to shore in order to work the outside edges of brush growing into the water. Unless I can get 5-8 foot from shore, I can't make those casts.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-09, 11:44 PM   #5
windycitybass
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the tip, Keith. I've been looking at some waders online. I'm not sure where the line is between what I need and what would be a piece of junk. Any suggestions about quality would be great.
windycitybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 12:03 AM   #6
keithdog

It's been a long time since I bought wadders. Probably 15-20 years ago. I then bought a heavy weight Denier fabric wadder from Cabellas. Strong material and long lasting, but also heavy and bulky. But I needed them for walking snag filled ditch banks when duck hunting. Wadders have come a long way since then. I should let someone else who has bought them recently guide you on this one. I just know the Cabellas wadders I bought were top notch quality.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 11:11 AM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I've only used hip boots myself, but have a tip when it comes to wearing them. Remove your wallet before retrieving a snagged lure in water slightly higher than the boots.
Old 04-05-09, 11:28 AM   #8
Jim80

You want target the same areas you would if you were fishing from a boat . don't be afraid to walk into the woods a bit to get to a spot as well . the only thing i tend to shy away from throwing from shore are deep diving crankbaits unless the water is deep enough . Throw to timber weed beds and other cover or structure you can find .

Jim
Old 04-14-09, 06:43 AM   #9
ragman
BassFishin.Com Member

Regarding wadder’s. I just bought a pair of Muck brand wadders there Edgewater model. For shore fishing and there great. Not quite knee height but close enough, very comfortable and guaranteed to stay dry.
ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 06:10 PM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
Regarding wadder’s. I just bought a pair of Muck brand wadders there Edgewater model. For shore fishing and there great. Not quite knee height but close enough, very comfortable and guaranteed to stay dry.

Around here, those are called boots
Old 04-15-09, 06:31 AM   #11
1/4 stick

Before you go out fishing from the shore and lose a ton of lures. Tie a weight on to your line and practice casting from under trees with low hanging limbs. If you get around some of the ponds like I fish sometimes it helps greatly. Got to do some ninja casts in some places. I've even had to do some granny casts in places.
Old 04-16-09, 11:09 AM   #12
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the wadder idea...also if you have any bridges, docks, good shoreline cover you could use some senko's...texas rig some Reaction Beavers, use some jigs, and depending on depth crankbaits....
Old 05-05-09, 03:48 PM   #13
Bipolarattorney
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I can only speak to resevoirs on this one.
I use just about everything except drop shot from the shore the same as in a boat. I have used D/S from shore, but only in deeper water. Same with my deeper cranks.
I am more likely to rig my plastics weightless when tossing from the shore than in the boat since I do not usually need to reach the same depths.
I let the structure dictate what I throw, same as in the boat.
I have been fishing forest preserve lakes and neighborhood retention ponds, almost exclusively, for the past couple of years because I don't have access to a boat or know anybody who does (and charters get expensive). In any event, I have had the best luck throwing cranks and plastics (Yamamato senkos are my lastest favorite, but Berkley Powerbaits in natural colors have worked for me in the past and are a little cheaper).

Look for structure in the water or heavy weeds. The harder it is to get to (walking or trees in the way), the more luck you will tend to have. Throwing cranks is fun and a more active way of fishing, but the treble hooks are not weedless and it can be a pain to have to be picking off algae, weeds, sticks, dead babies, etc. every time you cast/retrieve.

A plastic work rigged Texas or Carolina style is oftentimes best, particularly when you are dealing with finicky fish. Depending on the depth, cover and wind conditions you may need to throw a couple of weights on your plastics, but they present best without.
Bipolarattorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 05:21 PM   #14
bamabassman

all these are great ideas. you'll catch em in no time pal.
Old 05-10-09, 09:42 AM   #15
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

From the shore, i would fish a weightless Texas rigged Senko.
Charles Slone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 06:13 PM   #16
B-I-G
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm with the weightless t-rig senko, but I use a YUM Dinger, since those are cheaper than the senkos. Also fish T-Rig worms.
Old 05-18-09, 04:28 PM   #17
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

B-I-G, Those BPS Stick-O's work wonders too. I use them the most. They come in the 3" and you can slaughter the smallie's with 'em.
Charles Slone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 01:29 PM   #18
Jim80

just wanted to add another tid bit right quick , up here the blue gill are in their spawn and if you find their beds I would fish the areas around them we have been getting a lot of good fish from those areas .

Jim
Old 05-30-09, 11:56 PM   #19
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
just wanted to add another tid bit right quick , up here the blue gill are in their spawn and if you find their beds I would fish the areas around them we have been getting a lot of good fish from those areas .

Jim
Good call, Jim. The bream are real stubborn about protecting the beds, and will stick around even when being preyed upon. The bass realize this, and will stay close to hunt.
Old 06-04-09, 08:14 PM   #20
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

Find areas that have rip rap that you can work with a crankbait from the bank. Find marinas that have boat docks or ramps...these areas hold fish year round. Get out early so you can capitalize on the early morning bite. Fish a senko, buzzbait, pop r, and a jig with a paca chunk and hold on. Look for shady spots too for the afternoon sun. Fish like to hang out there.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.