Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-25-09, 09:42 AM   #1
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Line breaks.

Sorry to rehash here, but I just lost a big one this morning to a line break. Despite my frustration, I have a two questions and I'll try to be brief. 20-25 lb power pro braided (I cant remember exactly) on a leader of 12 lb berkely trilene xl. My double-uni held up (thanks BB) and it did not break at the knot. I had just put the leader on the evening prior. I've been careful to check my leader for abrasion pretty much each cast since I usually end up having to clear muck, leaves, etc. from it anyway. My line was free from nicks or wear. A nice one jumped on and as he started to fight and pull away, My line snapped clean. I'll admit that the spool I pulled my leader from is at least a year or two old. I made a similar post and someone mentioned going to berkley xt. I'm beginning to wonder if I should go with something other than berkley. So, first queston, should I quit berkley and go with something else, is the xt just a marketing thing?

Because of the line breaks at my leader, I almost want to give up on the leader altogether. I'm sure if I do that the line break problem ends there. I'm fishing in fairly murky conditions where visibility is maybe a foot. Can I just ditch the leader? Does everyone use leaders for their braided when fishing plastics? I guess the best way is to fish without a leader and see what happens. Braided line is moss green btw. Also, got the big guys attention with a t-rigged yum dinger junebug. Anyone else notice those things smell like licorice?

My fishing season is primarily catches between 2-4 lbs. I get a handful of big ones each season. Most, like today, I lose. I don't want to lose them. If I can overcome the line snaps, this could be a banner year.

So much for being brief.

Heartbroken,
VB.
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 10:15 AM   #2
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

If the water is not clear then don't bother with the leader. That should solve the problem.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 10:27 AM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachbass View Post
Sorry to rehash here, but I just lost a big one this morning to a line break. Despite my frustration, I have a two questions and I'll try to be brief. 20-25 lb power pro braided (I cant remember exactly) on a leader of 12 lb berkely trilene xl. My double-uni held up (thanks BB) and it did not break at the knot. I had just put the leader on the evening prior. I've been careful to check my leader for abrasion pretty much each cast since I usually end up having to clear muck, leaves, etc. from it anyway. My line was free from nicks or wear. A nice one jumped on and as he started to fight and pull away, My line snapped clean. I'll admit that the spool I pulled my leader from is at least a year or two old. I made a similar post and someone mentioned going to berkley xt. I'm beginning to wonder if I should go with something other than berkley. So, first queston, should I quit berkley and go with something else, is the xt just a marketing thing?

Because of the line breaks at my leader, I almost want to give up on the leader altogether. I'm sure if I do that the line break problem ends there. I'm fishing in fairly murky conditions where visibility is maybe a foot. Can I just ditch the leader? Does everyone use leaders for their braided when fishing plastics? I guess the best way is to fish without a leader and see what happens. Braided line is moss green btw. Also, got the big guys attention with a t-rigged yum dinger junebug. Anyone else notice those things smell like licorice?

My fishing season is primarily catches between 2-4 lbs. I get a handful of big ones each season. Most, like today, I lose. I don't want to lose them. If I can overcome the line snaps, this could be a banner year.

So much for being brief.

Heartbroken,
VB.
Based on that, I'd go without the leader. Where is the line breaking? Is the knot at the hook failing, or is it somewhere between the two knots?

Hmmm, just reread your post, and you said the knots are holding up. Honestly, if the visibility is not that great, I'd move to 30 lbs Power Pro in the moss green, no leader. If you discover that you're getting fewer strikes, maybe then go back to using a leader to see if that will help. I don't use fluorocarbon line at all, so I'm no help with it, but maybe someone on here can recommend a good fluoro line for you. I'm thinking that you may be able to move up in line strength if you swap the mono you're using for fluoro, maybe go from 12 lb to 17 or 20 lb line. That might decrease your line breaks.

Another thought... how is your drag set on your reel? If you've got it set for the braid, your leader won't stand up to that much pressure. Try loosening your drag some, and see if that helps.
Old 06-25-09, 01:28 PM   #4
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I only use flouro for leaders. Try segaur abraisx in 20 lb for your conditions. I don't use berkley at all anymore (except on panfish rods) If you are set on mono go with suffix its way way way better!
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 02:46 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Glad the Uni to Uni knot worked good for ya. Personally I'm not a big fan of Trilene mono, or Stren as of late. When it comes to mono, I'm only buying Sufix from now on. If you want to use mono leader, try the Sufix Siege. But normally I, like BID, use a fluorocarbon leader. I use Stren 100% fluoro for my heavy cover leaders since it's fairly stiff and has good abraision resistance. Other than that, I use seaguar InvisX. But if I were you, I'd use Seaguar's AbrasX line for a leader in 12-15lb test.

If you were to get rid of the leader, in the conditions you described, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But this would be my first choice before changing leader material. I don't think you would have any problems with the moss green braid. Oh, and when tying braid to a lure, ALWAYS use the palomar knot. most other knots with slip out of braid.

BB
Old 06-25-09, 04:26 PM   #6
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Also "a year or 2 old" doesn't help.
Old 06-25-09, 05:06 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Yeah, lash is right there. I'd pitch it and buy a new spool of somthing.

BB
Old 06-28-09, 11:33 AM   #8
dodgeguy

get rid of the leader.i also suggest using a modern 8 strand braid such as berkley's new fireline braid.
Old 06-28-09, 05:44 PM   #9
Bassboss

I would try it it with out a leader, I try not to use a leader when ever possible. And in your case, I would ditch it! I think it dampens the sensitivity. I never use a leader when I'm fishing a power bait like a spinnerbait, buzzbait, crankbait or any kind of top water. I've always used braid for EVERYTHING, and next time I get a line stealing backlash I'm gonna but some 15lb XT on there. Gonna try the stuff since Paul Elise likes it so much! But other wise.. go with sufix... siege is best IMO! And ya, like MB said try loosening you drag as much as you can, When you set the hook, it could be weakening your line, so try loosening the drag.. just enough to get a good hook set, and get it where you want it!

Good luck man!
Old 06-28-09, 05:50 PM   #10
dodgeguy

also when using a leader the 2 lines should be of equal diameter so with 12 pound you should be using 50 lb braid.if i were you i'd go straight braid in 50 or 65 lb.this is 12 0r 15 lb diameter.
Old 06-29-09, 12:11 AM   #11
Rebbasser

In water that stained I'd lose the leader, too.

Dodge, how does that braid stack up to the others we have tried?
Old 06-29-09, 12:13 AM   #12
BigBassin144

I don't know, but I think that picture's on here about 400 times now.

I've heard it's pretty good. It feels very smooth. I'm going to try it the next time I need some braid.

BB
Old 06-29-09, 05:55 AM   #13
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
In water that stained I'd lose the leader, too.

Dodge, how does that braid stack up to the others we have tried?
i love it.it's smoother and rounder.it's less noisey than the others.it wind knots less also imho.i think brkley has made a fantastic braid with this new firline braid.
Old 06-29-09, 05:56 AM   #14
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I don't know, but I think that picture's on here about 400 times now.

I've heard it's pretty good. It feels very smooth. I'm going to try it the next time I need some braid.

BB
it's a pretty picture!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.