Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-09, 04:45 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pink Salmon are here in Seattle!

Hey guys! The Pink Salmon (aka humpies) are entering some of the river systems in Western Washington right now and they will be coming in the millions this season. You all know that I am a bass angler at heart, but I cannot ignore the good eats that salmon is. Brown’s Point is a location that many of these salmon will pass to reach their birthplace in the rivers. Imagine yourself with access to catching salmon without a boat, from the shore, AND without the need for waders.

Browns Point – Giving It Up on Wed 08-12-09 Report

8:20 PM - Fast Approaching Nightfall, Patches of Pink Amid a Cloudy, Gray Canvas.

Got to Brown’s Point at about 8:20 pm with my son. That is when I realized that I brought the wrong Curado D reel. I brought the Curado D that was less than 2/3 full with 8# mono. Doh!

According to the people I talked to on the way down to the beach, the fishing was slow and a bit tough. Fortunately for me, I had my good luck charm (my son) with me. I also started to think that the 8# test just might be my ticket to getting into the fish. The challenge and game plan would be to play the fish properly so as to not break the line.

8:25 PM - First Cast

First cast made. I offered the first retrieve to my son, but he declined. He appeared to be more interested in eating his snacks and guzzling soda than wanting to catch his first salmon. I didn’t blame him.

8:30 PM - First Hook Up

My buzz bomb got hammered and I drove the hook home as I said quietly, “Got ‘em.” The pink fought with great vigor. Unfortunately, by way of my impatience and some fear that my line might break, I did not heed my game plan to play the fish. The end result was a lost fish that took advantage of the barbless hook restriction as I attempted to horse it to shore. The pink salmon tossed the hook with authority. That all too well known sinking feeling settled in as the belief my best chance to land one crossed my mind. Double Doh!

8:40 PM – Second Chance
I was blessed with another good strike and set the hook. This time I played it right and eventually landed this pink with someone’s net. Ah yeah, first salmon of the season.

I apologize for the bad pics. The salmon kept squirming.

9:00 PM – Packing Up and Heading Home
I decided to head home so that I could clean the salmon. Not a bad for a 40 minute outing, especially that my pink and one other were the only two caught in this period. I think I am going to stick with the 8# line the next time out.

He isn’t squirming anymore.

Conditions
Light, Occasion Drizzle, Overcast Skies and Windy
Gear: Lamiglas 8’6” Rod, Curado 201DHSV with 8# test (oops!)
Lure: Pink Buzz Bomb
Old 08-14-09, 04:48 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

We need an update on the conditions later, IE, skillet or grill.....

Really lucky to be able to experience that type of fishing.
Old 08-14-09, 09:11 AM   #3
nofearengineer

Man...I am soooo jealous, IB. You are indeed fortunate to have such quick access to both bass and salmon.
Old 08-14-09, 09:26 AM   #4
MississippiBoy

"He isn't squirming anymore" sounds like it came from some psycho slasher flick. You know, one of the expendables gets kidnapped and flensed in some underground torture chamber, with the inbred sub-humans laughing as he thrashes around. Then when he quits breathing, they poke him with something sharp.....

I'd love to try some salmon fishing. You're very fortunate to have the opportunity.
Old 08-14-09, 04:15 PM   #5
Bassboss

YYUUUMMM!!!

That's some good eats there for sure! Congrats on the salmon!
Old 08-14-09, 05:02 PM   #6
Jim80

That sounds like ya had a great time man

Jim
Old 08-22-09, 11:43 PM   #7
66KingFisher

Yep...I love the taste of salmon so I too am jealous....I can only imagine how good "Fresh" salmon would taste compared to the stuff we get in the stores.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-09, 11:56 PM   #8
bamabassman

so how was it? we don't get to see the finished product? aaaawwwww mannnnnnnnnn. hahahahahaha. nice catch by the way. bet it would taste great smoked on a cedar plank,mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 08-23-09, 06:50 AM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
"He isn't squirming anymore" sounds like it came from some psycho slasher flick. You know, one of the expendables gets kidnapped and flensed in some underground torture chamber, with the inbred sub-humans laughing as he thrashes around. Then when he quits breathing, they poke him with something sharp.....

I'd love to try some salmon fishing. You're very fortunate to have the opportunity.
I'm thinking a line by Eastwood or Willis

Way to go IB! Looks tasty!

Never fished for salmon either, other than snagging them when I was a kid. Couple buddies at work are bound and determined to get me out for some salmon fishing one of these days.
Old 08-26-09, 03:21 AM   #10
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
so how was it? we don't get to see the finished product? aaaawwwww mannnnnnnnnn. hahahahahaha. nice catch by the way. bet it would taste great smoked on a cedar plank,mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
It's still in the freezer!! Doh! I plan to grill it this weekend. If I had a smoker, I'd smoke it.
Old 08-26-09, 08:20 AM   #11
crankybait

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
It's still in the freezer!! Doh! I plan to grill it this weekend. If I had a smoker, I'd smoke it.
Definately go and buy or make a smoker man... nothing in the world that tastes like smoked salmon
Old 08-27-09, 05:24 PM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
You got a shovel? Just get the top of a big pot or pan, or you could use a plank of sheet metal and drill holes in it. Dig a little hole, but your wood cips
(cedar, hickory, cherry... what ever), in there, than put a wood plank (cedar, hickory, cherry... what ever). Light it up, get it just smoldering, and than put the fish on the plank, and the top on the hole and smoke away!

You could also probably find a way to up a chicken wire rake on there if you don't want to put it on the plank.
Old 08-27-09, 07:32 PM   #13
islandbass

Thanks, BB. I just might do it.
Old 08-27-09, 10:17 PM   #14
bamabassman

have you got any cedar trees there? cut donw the little ones, use them as your grill over the coals. kill 2 birds with one fire so to speak. "injun" style smoking that is.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.