Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-18-12, 04:00 PM   #1
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wacky Problem

When I'm wacky rigging, I always seem to hook fish on the tongue, or the bottom of the mouth/throat somewhere.

What's the deal here? Is it the way I'm tying the hook on? I use a palomar knot.
Deverez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-12, 04:37 PM   #2
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't see a problem so can't offer a solution.
RustyFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-12, 10:08 PM   #3
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It's the way a wacky rig falls and the way the fish hits it, 50% of the fish I catch are in the bottom lip especially when I use a weighted wacky hook.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 10:33 AM   #4
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Then I must be doing something wrong, because I never hook them on the bottom lip... only the tongue/throat.

How do you set the hook on wacky rigs? Perhaps too strong of a hookset is causing the hook to dig in its immediate position (pointing down, on the tongue).
Old 09-19-12, 12:09 PM   #5
RAYMAN111
BassFishin.Com Member

What type of hook and what size are you using? Are you using the O Rings that are out there or just hooking the bait in the midddle? I am assuming that you are wacky rigging Senkos or Senko style baits? Let me know.....I think I can help.
RAYMAN111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 12:19 PM   #6
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Wacky rigging stick worms through the middle with no O ring (I don't like how the hooks lay on their side with the O ring). I use 1/0 octopus hooks.
Old 09-19-12, 12:48 PM   #7
RAYMAN111
BassFishin.Com Member

Agree.....I don't like the O Ring system, either. Someone is really making some money on this system....out West....most use it because they say it saves their baits. I have used it and feel that I loose fish because less of the hook surface is available. Also, hate the time you have to put in when shoving the bait through the tool and then slipping the o ring on.....would rather catch fish than mess with baits!

Hooks...the best Hook I have found for Whacky Rigging is the Owner 5177 SERIES OF HOOK IN THE #1 or 2/0 size. They are known as the Mosquito Hooks.

Most of the fish that hit this style of fishing are catching it on the fall. They are looking up at it and come from below. I rig my baits in the middle of the Senko.....I only use Yamamoto baits because they are full of salt that helps them float and not sink like a rock. Also....the bait has more of a natural presentation. Some of these knock offs do nothing. I have tried other hooks and baits......Owner and Yamamoto are the best.

I don't know if I have helped.....you are catching fish, just not where you would like it. I also use the Palomar knot. I use braid on my Wacky rigged baits and will use a Flourocarbon Leader if needed. No Stretch...instant hook set up. Maybe you are using a mono or Copolymer that has too much stretch? Just a thought. Like I said....When fishing Wacky....I use no stretch lines. Hope this helps.........
Old 09-19-12, 10:57 PM   #8
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds to me like you are waiting too long to set the hook. You don't want to wait until the fish eats it. Once you feel that initial thump set the hook.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-12, 11:05 PM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hate doing that. Hooks are pretty darn hard to get out when ya hook em like that.

Circle hooks can really help fix that though!
Old 09-19-12, 11:32 PM   #10
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
I only use Yamamoto baits because they are full of salt that helps them float and not sink like a rock.
Point of clarification: Salt added to plastics does not help "float" a bait, it actually makes a bait heavier. Salt is used to weight a bait (as well as give it a salty flavor) - the more salt the heavier the bait, and the fall rate increases (falls faster). Floatant is added to plastic to slow the rate of fall or make a plastic bait suspend or float. Floatant added to the tail only will make a bait (primarily worms) stand tail up. Yamomoto uses a heavy dose of salt in his baits as well as a very soft plastic. Salt will also somewhat affect the color of a bait, something to be aware of if you order baits through a custom pourer. G.Y. has a couple other "trick" (read propriatary) ingrediants he also adds to get a consistant specific weight for his baits, particularly the Senko.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-12, 05:14 PM   #11
RAYMAN111
BassFishin.Com Member

Here is something that will help you without getting into the dynamics of what each bait is formulated with. Your question was related to how to get a better hook set.....Sorry for lenght of my last e-mail.....

Simply put......visit this site and look for the CHT site. The hook is desigend from a local Pro, Zach Thompson here in Northern Cal. The hook is designed for the O Ring system of Wacky Rigs. It has a clip on the bottom of the shank to clip on the O Ring instead of running the hook through the bait. As stated before...I am not a fan of the O Rings. However, this is the best hook I have seen if you are going to use the O Ring. It is a double hook, similar to a tuna hook but much much smaller. Very sharp and has a wide gap on both point. I am going to insert an image for the hook. I have used these since I was first introduced to his new hook this past Spring. It comes in a three pack. I am not affiliated in any part to the hook.....just trying to help. As I mentioned before...I still like my Owner hooks right through the bait. This does give another angle to Drop Shot Fishing and most people have never seen this hook. Good luck!!!!!! CHT Double Hook for Wacky Rigging....Google the hook.
Old 09-21-12, 06:08 PM   #12
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Toss unweighted,on light braid like 10 lb test,small circle hook,problem solved
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.