Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 03-01-13, 09:02 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Major League Fishing...Explain something to me...

What is the reason for the 2-minute penalty for the fish touching the carpet?!?
Old 03-01-13, 09:21 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Proper fish handling, suppose to damage the protective coating on fish. They also get a 2 min. penalty for releasing fish above the gunnel.
Old 03-01-13, 10:02 PM   #3
nofearengineer

And yet, to help avoid this penalty, they smash the fish against their clothes...

Apparently, clothes must not rub fish slime off...

Thanks for the explanation anyway.
Old 03-01-13, 10:15 PM   #4
bassboogieman

So it's a 2 minuted penalty for the fish landing on the carpet due to possible damage to fish slime? Yet they can grab the fish and hug it to those NASCAR jerseys? Or pin the fish against their pants? Or grab the fish by hand? I'm not convinced it's anything other than false pretence.

I watched one of the episodes yesterday, and didn't like the format one bit. Keeping tabs on the competition by I-pad, instant updates on who's catching what, penalties, whining about guys cutting others off, it's REALITY TV INVADES FISHING. No, not one bit did I like it, it's just for money genereation - you saw the spotlight on a couple pros promoting checking out the 3 hours on-line because there is just too much to put in a one hour TV show? Like, you really want to sit for 3 hours and watch that crap, one hour on TV was plenty for me. And, yeah, the first one is FREE, then get out your credit/debit card, like there are not ENOUGH fishing shows on the tube for free...
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13, 10:27 PM   #5
Tavery5

I paid for the first two seasons, It was less than $20 per season and provided a lot of entertainment for that amount. I feel like it has the best coverage and least amount of advertising of any fishing show that I have ever watched. I like the format, small boats, no way points, not knowing what part of the lake they will be fishing until the day of the Tournament, weighting all fish over 12 inches, and the pressure of knowing exactly what every other fisherman is doing as far as catching or not catching.

Probably wont appeal to everyone, as already voiced, but I think it has it's merits and I found it very entertaining.
Old 03-01-13, 10:30 PM   #6
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
And yet, to help avoid this penalty, they smash the fish against their clothes...

Apparently, clothes must not rub fish slime off...

Thanks for the explanation anyway.

It was a new rule they tried for this season. I think it was
Aaron Martin who lobbied for it. If they are truely concerned they should probably just let them use nets.
Old 03-01-13, 11:11 PM   #7
bamabassman

i agree tavery...........
Old 03-02-13, 01:37 AM   #8
Rebbasser

Doesn't FLW allow nets? I think they used to, not sure about now.
Old 03-02-13, 01:55 AM   #9
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love the mfl format!
Old 03-02-13, 02:30 AM   #10
nofearengineer

Amen, Tav. I agree about the nets completely.

I have to laugh about the "below the gunwale" thing too. We've all seen bass jump 2-3 feet in the air before. If it were hurting them, I doubt they'd be doing it.

Could this all be just some corporate display meant to show the greenies "hey, we care about the cute widdle fishies too". You know, after the big stink over the post-tourney die-offs a couple years ago?
Old 03-02-13, 02:35 AM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Could this all be just some corporate display meant to show the greenies "hey, we care about the cute widdle fishies too". You know, after the big stink over the post-tourney die-offs a couple years ago?
I think it was 10% to set a good example and 90% to have a few weird rules so they could enforce some punishment. It proved very stressful for some of those guys to have sit down for 2 minutes while the competition was catching fish.
Old 03-02-13, 11:07 AM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I think it was 10% to set a good example and 90% to have a few weird rules so they could enforce some punishment. It proved very stressful for some of those guys to have sit down for 2 minutes while the competition was catching fish.
I wonder if they have to go kneel in a corner on the boat for the two minutes? I think it has more to do with impression than reality. It's like, "hey PETA", we have feelings and concerns too! A gentle drop back into the water isn't going to hurt any fish. And I wonder how much slime is lost from a fish flopping and twisting in a net?
Old 03-02-13, 07:02 PM   #13
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I wonder if they have to go kneel in a corner on the boat for the two minutes? I think it has more to do with impression than reality. It's like, "hey PETA", we have feelings and concerns too! A gentle drop back into the water isn't going to hurt any fish. And I wonder how much slime is lost from a fish flopping and twisting in a net?
Nets may cause some minimal damage to the protective slime on the fish but far less than flopping around in the bottom of a boat. The rubberized nets are said to be the best.

We use nets to capture high dollar aquarium fish, without causing them much stress or damage.

The two minute penalty is started as soon as the fish is released, the angler can not perform any fishing related tasks such as tying baits or threading a new bait on a hook. They usually just sit there and wait it out, maybe have a drink of water or a snack.
Old 03-02-13, 07:29 PM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I like it. I think they should play The Heat Is On for the whole half hour just to make it a little more nerve racking when you know you are #2 off in real time.
Old 04-18-13, 12:24 PM   #15
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

The MLF is very exciting and entertaining to watch. Like Tavery5 said... not knowing when/where and the restrictions of where you can fish on the lake makes for a much more level playing field that is a true test of skill. I feel the MLF separates the true professional bass anglers from the anglers that just happened to be at the right place, at the right time, and had the right connections.
Deverez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 02:59 PM   #16
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think MLF is completely awesome. Love everything about it!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 04:53 PM   #17
bassinbob

Thumbs up for me. I don't get it at home but sometimes see it during lunchtime at work on thursdays.
Old 04-28-13, 08:34 AM   #18
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
What is the reason for the 2-minute penalty for the fish touching the carpet?!?
Don't think it was about slime coating.. it was about the drop and flop on the deck factor. The format is a big strain on the alpha males as they know there standings by the minute.

On the note of 2 minutes time outs they also have a break off rule. Lost lure in fish gets two minutes.

I like it..
Kinda reminds of IROC with all the cars the same.
Brings out real skills and explodes lack of skill.

Capt Mike
Old 04-28-13, 08:27 PM   #19
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Maybe its a penalty because they are getting stinky on the borrowed Bass Cats and Nitros and lowering resale value. I think they should get an extra pound for doing like the Power Pole commercial where the guy catches the fish by the lip in the air and never has to handle or touch the fish's slime.

I bet Grigsby didn't feel out of place in a BC, he pimps everything else, why not add a second boat sponsor.

I am getting good laughs over Biffle though this week. He gets censored as much as Howard Stern when they tell him someone else has caught. Reminds me of Yosemite Sam.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.