Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-13, 09:55 PM   #1
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default two fat bass and an oddball

Drew and I fished La Cygne today. Trolling motor problems were the story of the morning and we still caught a few fish. Once I got the motor going again we headed down lake and I caught a 4.39 pound fish pitching a jig into a laydown.

Followed up shortly after that with a 17" and 3.09 pounds on a one knocker.

Caught a few more small ones here and there on several different baits but the wind died down and the sun came out and it got tough. I jumped off a good fish at the outlet on a jig that was for sure in the 5 pound range if not larger. Saw some big fish chasing shad near the shore in the outlet so I tossed my 6" swimbait at them. I was reeling it slowly back to the boat and it just got pounded about 10' from the boat and it barely moved when I set the hook. I really thought I may have just stuck a DD bass. Well it was a DD fish, just not a bass. This big ugly thing shot out of the water 2 or 3 times and was a chore to land with no gloves and a net that I didn't want to trash. Just shy of 15 pounds.

Speaking of shy, can you guess who was hiding in the back of the boat when all hell broke loose in the front of the boat? She wasn't quite as scared of the gar once we were on shore with it though.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 11:24 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Great pics. Looks like you have a golden. Nice dogs. Looks like the one I used to have. That gar must have been quite a surprise.
Old 03-14-13, 11:42 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Some nice fish ya got for sure! Gar can be a fun surprise sometime no doubt! Love the looks of the area you're fishing back there!
Old 03-15-13, 12:03 AM   #4
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice fish blue. My black lab has to lick every fish I catch. Maybe she would hide with something that big to.
Old 03-17-13, 07:33 AM   #5
bluebasser86

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Great pics. Looks like you have a golden. Nice dogs. Looks like the one I used to have. That gar must have been quite a surprise.
She is a little golden, only 7 months old right now. Thursday was only her second time in the boat but I swear she's a natural, just sits by my feet and watches the water. I was surprised how calm she stays when I'm fighting a fish, minus the gar. She was in the boat while we were trout fishing last Wednesday and even when one of those things would hit the bottom of the boat she would just watch it, maybe sniff it at the most. Her tail was wagging, she's enjoying herself, just not real sure what to think of those cold, slimy things flopping around the bottom of the boat. I'm most thankful that she's shown no interest in any fishing lures on rods on the deck or the ones I've hung out of her reach to see how she'd react. My other old dog caught a Rapala while it was hanging from my buddies rod one time, and then I ended up hooked to him while I was trying to hold him down so we could get the hook out, not fun.
Old 03-17-13, 04:32 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I got that same TW shirt....wish I had the same accessible fishing holes! Always a pleasure to see and read about your outtings.
Old 03-18-13, 12:59 AM   #7
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What is your SR gar I just saw an article in In fisherman with a gar near that size that was a state record. Nice looking bass and dog too though.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-13, 10:47 AM   #8
bluebasser86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
What is your SR gar I just saw an article in In fisherman with a gar near that size that was a state record. Nice looking bass and dog too though.
Our state record longnose gar is 31 1/2 pounds, so this one wasn't even half the state record. Not sure how long this one was but I shot one a few years ago that was 51 1/2 inches long, didn't have a scale for that one but it was certainly getting up close to the 30 pound range.
Old 03-18-13, 10:59 AM   #9
WatterBoy

More great fish, blue! Always enjoy your reports and pics -- thanks for sharing.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.