Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-09, 11:56 PM   #1
windycitybass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Question About Fishline

I'm trying to load some line on my reel, but after I've done it I am getting loops. Does that mean that the line is bad or am I not getting enough resistance from the spool and winding it too loosely?

Thanks
windycitybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 01:08 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I doubt it is bad line that causes the loops. More than likely it is a tension and speed of spooling issue. I usually like to hold the line with my fingers just below the lowest eyelet.

Also, if it is a spinning reel and you believe that it is caused by line twisting, then check out Kevin's video on spooling a spinning reel.
http://www.bassfishin.com/video-tips...spinning-reel/
Old 03-23-09, 05:50 AM   #3
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

what kind of reel?what size spool?whay kind of line?did you spool it on in the right direction?
Old 03-23-09, 10:30 AM   #4
jcw1503

probably not enough tension
Old 03-23-09, 12:01 PM   #5
windycitybass
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
what kind of reel?what size spool?whay kind of line?did you spool it on in the right direction?

I am using a spinning reel. I bought a 1000 yard spool of Stren Original 10lb. test last year. It was what my uncle used. I am pretty sure I used spooled it in the right direction... I didn't see any twists in the line. I used a fishing line loader that I got at a Pro Bass Shop.

Also, while I thought of it, should I be buying spools based on what I need and not in bulk? I don't know if sitting on a spool would create loops.

Thanks for the tips and please keep them coming!
Old 03-23-09, 02:03 PM   #6
Joel

What line loader did you buy? I use a Berkley spooling station both for Baitcasters and Spinning reels. But only for Braid with the spinning reels.

Generally, when spooling a spinning reel the line needs to come off the spool of line in the same direction that the line is being fed on the reel. As far as tension goes, it's just as easy to put too much tension on the line as it is to have too little tension. Try putting a phone book on the line right in front of the spool, then wind the line on with a moderate rate, but make sure it's coming off the spool in the correct direction. It wouldn't hurt to spray some line conditioner on the reel spool every so often, especially the last 1/3 of the spool, as that's the line that will be used.
Old 03-23-09, 02:47 PM   #7
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Make sure you hold enough tension if that doesnt work take your spool off and dip it into hot water, not boiling just hot and let it soak several seconds and it will take care of your memory.

Jerry
Old 03-23-09, 03:10 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am betting you didn't have enough tension on the line when you spooled the reel.
Old 03-23-09, 03:49 PM   #9
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
take your spool off and dip it into hot water, not boiling just hot and let it soak several seconds and it will take care of your memory.

Jerry
Interesting-never heard that before.
Old 03-23-09, 04:32 PM   #10
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Interesting-never heard that before.
I've heard this before, but with warm water, not hot water. When I fished the salt I use to wash my reels and rods with cold water from a hose to get rid of any traces of saltwater. Then dry the reel. So soaking a spool won't do any damage. Just shake, towel off, and let it dry before putting it back on your reel.

Personally, I just as soon give the line on the spool a good dose of Real Magic or VanDam's line conditioner.
Old 03-23-09, 11:22 PM   #11
cassidyta

One other variable can be the conditions you stored the line in before putting it on. You mentioned having the line for a year before spooling it. Was it somewhere that it was exposed to a lot of heat and/or cold? This can cause issues for you on the line, maye not the looping, but it will weaken it for you
Old 03-25-09, 01:54 PM   #12
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Could be any number of things! The most two common problems are that the line get spool in the wrong direction, or you don't have enough tension. You gotta put the line on the reel, the direction it is spooled on the spool of line that it comes on. The link that cass posted is a great video! It's hard to add tension to a reel right, you gotta get a sock, put it around your hand, grasp the line with you two fingers tightly, and reel. You can also tie on a heavy 1oz weight and cast it into the yard are reel it in, or walk to it while reeling keeping the line tight, this should get it on nice and tight. Works well or me!

Hope this helps!
Old 03-25-09, 03:52 PM   #13
jcw1503

you could always tie the line to a tree and then tighten it that way but be careful too tiht and it is not good either
Old 03-27-09, 05:54 AM   #14
dodgeguy

what size spool?a 4000 sreies spoll will be easier on line than a 2500.secondly stren original sucks.gET A LIMP LINE LIKE TRILENE XL OR CAJUN RED CAST.get kvd line and lure spray.or better yet get some berkley fireline braid but back the spool with mono first.
Old 03-27-09, 08:02 PM   #15
windycitybass
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks. I wasn't sure what to get when I went to the tackle store. I inherited tons of fishing gear from my uncle and saw a spool of Stren so I assumed that's what he used. Now that I'm learning more and more (you guys are great about answering questions) I am definately going to invest in some better line in the future. I've been thinking braided, but I am not sure how that would work with my lighter poles.

What do you mean by "Back the school with mono first"?
Old 03-27-09, 10:20 PM   #16
MississippiBoy

Braid has a tendency to slip around the spool, plus it's pretty expensive when compared to regular monofilament. So, use the mono as a backing...tie it on, and spool it up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way, then tie the braid to that and finish filling up the spool. The mono won't slip like braid might, and you use less of the pricey stuff.
Also, the "bottom" end of the braid never gets used, it just stays wrapped around the reel. The part of the braid that you do use will probably be good for a year or two of use, then all you do is tie the end to another reel, and reel it on "backwards". So you can get maybe 4 years of use out of one length of braid.
Old 03-28-09, 12:15 AM   #17
windycitybass
BassFishin.Com Member

ALright, so now that we're going toward the topic of braided line, how much weight would you put on a rod made for 10-17 lb or the 1-7 lb? Does that have to do with just the diameter of the line itself or is that the weight the rod can handle before breaking?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.