Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-09, 10:19 AM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I bet I’m the first….

…angler to experience a birds nest with their first baitcasting reel without even casting.

I finally bought my first baitcasting reel. And like a kid who just got a new bike for Christmas and couldn’t ride it because there is 3 feet of snow on the ground, I occasionally look at it, play with it, feel, etc. So Bass Pro Shops spooled it up for me with 12lb BPS mono line. They tied the end to a rubber band and hooked it to the first eye ring on the rod. Like a curious cat I would press the bar to release the spool a couple of times. Then foolishly I cranked it pretty tight to where the was a good amount of tension on the rubber band. Then even more foolishly I press the bar not thinking about how tight I had wound it up. Wahlah, instant birds nest in my garage at 2:00 a.m. It took all of 30 minutes with the assistance of a toothpick to untangle the mess. My first thought after pulling the line couple of times was to start cutting away the heaping pile of line. But then my childlike thought kicked in to where I realized it was my first baitcaster and I wanted my first use to include every piece of tackle that came with it. Including those several yards I would have cut away.

I guess it’s probably a good thing that this happen because now I’ll be sure to set my brakes and tension correctly before I start chucking lures out in the water this spring.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 10:38 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

http://www.bassfishin.com/video-tips...er-backlashes/

Check out this video to help you with a backlash next time you get one. Don't worry about it man, there will be plenty more where that 1 came from. I like to think of them as a professional overcast though.
Old 03-24-09, 03:23 PM   #3
islandbass

I would have to agree with you that you're the first. Just kidding! Anyway, if I have a super nasty birdnest for which the bill dance trick doesn't work (it usually does), I will wait til I get home to undo it.

Since you are at home, try this the next time...

Remove the spool from the reel. It becomes very easy to undo.
Old 03-24-09, 03:33 PM   #4
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

yeah you dont even have to cut the line if your experienced with getting your side cover off.. you can just take it off..

my left side cover is a spin off, turn it 1/3 of a turn and it comes right off and the spool is accessble from there..
Old 03-24-09, 03:37 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wow! That weird! To bad those bass died!

And that video IB posted, it works!
Old 03-24-09, 03:39 PM   #6
MrPhotographer06

what are you talkin about?
Old 03-24-09, 03:40 PM   #7
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yeah what are you talking about bassboss
Old 03-24-09, 03:57 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Wow! That weird! To bad those bass died!

And that video IB posted, it works!
I think somebody's trying to get their post count up by commenting everywhere and anywhere, and clicked before they really realized what the hell they were doing.
Old 03-24-09, 04:04 PM   #9
lowrider

yep MB, i think you're right. mr. superposter made a boo boo.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 04:06 PM   #10
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
He might be refering to this........................

My technique for removing birds nests is a little different. I push the line back through the line guide and pull the line backwards towards the near end of the rod. As I do this I end up hitting the loops on the spool that caused the backlash. I pull on the loop untill I free the main line. Normally there are two loops that cause the backlash. Once these are freed I then strip the line out until it becomes tight on the spool and wind the line back in. Key to this technique is to find the loops that caused the backlash. Most backlashes take 15 seconds or so to fix. The big ones take a little longer but works just the same.
Old 03-24-09, 04:13 PM   #11
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I think somebody's trying to get their post count up by commenting everywhere and anywhere, and clicked before they really realized what the hell they were doing.
Which one were you referring to we have a few new superposters. Lots of post little information.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 04:24 PM   #12
MrPhotographer06

i've only had to remove a major backlash by cutting when my little brother got ahold of it..

i do about the same thing..free spool and pull the line till it gets tight then back it up and pull upwards on the loop that caused it.. and keep doing that until its free of backlash
Old 03-24-09, 06:31 PM   #13
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I'll second that!

Ryan
Old 03-24-09, 06:47 PM   #14
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I'll second that!

Ryan

At first I was thinking, maybe we're being a little hard on him, but there is some weight to the superposter title. Joined in Jan 2009 and over 1000 posts. Wow! I've been here since 2005 and have less than 1000! Not right nor wrong, nor good nor bad; just interesting. I guess I better get on the ball.
Old 03-24-09, 06:48 PM   #15
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
At first I was thinking, maybe we're being a little hard on him, but there is some weight to the superposter title. Joined in Jan 2009 and over 1000 posts. Wow! I've been here since 2005 and have less than 1000! Not right nor wrong, nor good nor bad; just interesting. I guess I better get on the ball.
Ah but when you post IB it is always informative and well thought out unlike 20 posts per day . And I do remember another young'n getting just about lynched for being a little over zealous .

Jim
Old 03-24-09, 06:56 PM   #16
lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
And I do remember another young'n getting just about lynched for being a little over zealous .

alot of us remember that. there was a polite thread going not too long ago that obviously fell on deaf ears.
Old 03-24-09, 07:01 PM   #17
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
alot of us remember that. there was a polite thread going not too long ago that obviously fell on deaf ears.

Not at all meant as a dig at any one on the site , but more of a warning to the kids going post crazy my fault if it was misunderstood .

Jim
Old 03-24-09, 07:05 PM   #18
lowrider

pm sent, friend.
Old 03-24-09, 07:09 PM   #19
Jim80

not a prob man .

Jim
Old 03-24-09, 09:21 PM   #20
Mensa
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mensa

I am making leaps and bounds towards my veteran status with all the posting I do. Most the time I don't even log onto my account, just read.
Mensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 03:25 AM   #21
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

I dont understand to bad those bass died?

yeah fish4942 im pretty sure your the first!!!
i cant talk ive hung up in the same tree above my head 4 times in a row!!! lmao
Old 03-30-09, 08:36 PM   #22
aikenyounggun

hey you aint the first one to do it im sure.... but i do know someone that probably made a worse bird nest than you... a kid we took and he had his hook stuck on a log or rock..... and my dad was movin the boat forward and i was tryin to tell him that the kid was stuck...... so before he could turn around the line was about to snap so i told him to hit the button... he did this but he didnt put his thumb on the spool..... so pushhshshshshshshshsh....... huge birdnest
Old 03-31-09, 12:27 PM   #23
fishin spro

everyone has there fair share of horror stories from when they first started with a baitcaster...the 2 that come to mind for me are
1. i was fishin from the bank at a pond near my house and tried to sling a rattle trap half a mile and hit a tree branch about 3 feet above my head that i didnt know was there....i couldnt believe the size of that birdsnest....lol

2. another one...this one was actually recently...i was fishin with a buddy in a 2 man creek boat and i was in the front of the boat....when i went too cast he caught the end of my rod just as i let the spool loose....i had too real that one up and wait till we got home to fix it....lol
that was the worst day of fishin i have ever had....20 minutes later, i set the hook on a fish and snapped a rod in half and dang near fell out the boat

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.