Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-07, 11:43 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Canyon Lake, TX 1-10-07

It was a day of wind and a couple of firsts. Flyrod and I hit the lake about 10:30 and tried to find some fishable water. The wind was supposed to really pick up in the PM(it did), so we figured we would work the wind as much as we could. We headed to the NE corner of the lake and on the third or fourth cast I hooked my biggest smallie to date:

Probably 2-2 1/2 pounds-it hit on a wacky rigged glimmer blue Yum Dinger. We worked the dam until we were sufficiently beat up by the wind, and moved over to the SE corner of the lake. Caught a few dinks,and then the trolling motor lost power. Same thing happened a couple of trips back, so we ran back to the dock where we could tie up and 10 minutes later we were fishing again-wire came loose in the upper unit-I'll fix that for good later. Anyway, we started working down the bank and Flyrod tied on a Kalin's Grub on a jighead and pitched it into a tangle of flooded timber and caught the fish of the day-a LM that weighed a good 2 1/2 pounds:

We worked over to a shelf with a lot of flooded timber on it and ran the boat up next to a couple of flooded trees. By this time the wind was gusting over 20 and we let the flooded trees hold us in place. One thing I had no confidence in was a tube-thrown them a bunch but never caught a fish on one. So, I was determined to catch one on a tube. Tied on a smoke/red flake Mizmo tube(Thanks, PnJ!) and threw into a gap in the trees. Felt a thump and set the hook. Didn't get it in the boat-it wrapped up in the trees and we couldn't get to it, but we did see it-looked to be a largemouth around 2 lbs. Finisned up there without another hit and went to a little cove with a big flooded tree in it. Nothing came off the tree, but I threw the tube up on a small point and started dragging the tube back and it got heavy, so I set the hook. This one I got in the boat-a smallie about pound. So, the first fish of the new year was a personal best smallie and I also caught my first fish on a tube. Even with the wind it was a good day on the water!
Old 01-11-07, 11:10 AM   #2
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Now how is it that you find time to go fishing on Wednesday? That just isn't right!

I am glad you had a good day. I need to get up there and do a little fishing before the summer starts and the lake gets crowded.
Old 01-11-07, 11:35 AM   #3
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

sweet! that sounds like a good trip!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 02:41 PM   #4
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro911 View Post
Now how is it that you find time to go fishing on Wednesday? That just isn't right!

I am glad you had a good day. I need to get up there and do a little fishing before the summer starts and the lake gets crowded.

Need a (Free) guide? Can't promise fish, though I can find some, but I am a good boat drive-on-trailerer!
Seriously, if you haven't been on Canyon since the water shrunk, or never knew the lake well, then you might consider having a "Current" pilot behind the wheel. There have been some new hazards appearing while some of the old ones are high and dry.
If nothing else, I can go over a map with you.
The only rule I have, regardless of whom I fish with, is that alcohol is nevAr in the mix.
Safety first, fish second.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 04:18 PM   #5
Nitro911

I might take you up on theat, FlyRod. I have been all over that lake for 20 years or so, but I haven't been up there since the baby was born 18 months ago. I can imagine that things have changed with the water dropping. If he thinks he can behave, we might even let Reb go with us.
Old 01-11-07, 05:13 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Me? Behave? OK, maybe this once.......
Old 01-11-07, 05:50 PM   #7
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Funny, I used to fish tubes alot, but have all but given up on them. My early bassin days around Lake Shasta produced many smallies on tubes and grubs on jig heads. Those where good times. Thanks for taking me back down memory lane once again.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 06:22 PM   #8
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Nice smallie and report! I have fished there like 4 times, but only hooked a small smallie and thats the only action in 3 years
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 06:25 PM   #9
Nitro911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Me? Behave? OK, maybe this once.......

Somehow, I am not counting on it....

I guess I should charge up the trolling motor batteries...
Old 01-11-07, 07:28 PM   #10
lizardsrule

Congrats Reb on that smallie, once again I'm jealous.

Lizards
Old 01-11-07, 08:07 PM   #11
crankybait

Way to go reb! your PB smallie is almost exactly like mine lol! don't those beauties fight hard... I love em. congrats, a new PB of any kind is always great.
Old 01-11-07, 11:20 PM   #12
Bass Hunter
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New to site

Hey fellow anglers just joined, I have been reading for sometime. I have ask for some help on purchasing a new boat. I fish ca. lakes what do you guys think for motors (makes) thanks
Bass Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 11:36 PM   #13
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Welcome bass hunter! WHy dont you make your own thread, im sure some guys will help you if you do that.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 08:10 AM   #14
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro911 View Post
I might take you up on theat, FlyRod. I have been all over that lake for 20 years or so, but I haven't been up there since the baby was born 18 months ago. I can imagine that things have changed with the water dropping. If he thinks he can behave, we might even let Reb go with us.
Congrats on the new arrival! My best wishes to mother, dad, and child.
But...Reb will agree that we prefer TWO to a boat...safety issues.
He knows I won't take a day off from fishing with him 'cept in rare cases, such as a few days ago.
Since you are a weekender and Reb, for a short while longer maybe, is a week-dayer, and I'm an any-old-timer, I'm certain we can work something out.
PM me with contact info and we'll see what shakes out.

Again, best wishes for the new addition to your clan.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.