Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-12, 04:50 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Set you clocks back tonight

This for me marks the end of the fishing season. Standard time returns, that means winter for me. Not cold yet, but I really don't like it getting dark around 5 PM, getting dark that early just sucks.

Anyway as it's the end of season, I started the chore of putting my rods away for the winter. Today I spent the afternoon doing the casting rods, which means i removed the reels and unspooled them all, cleaned and waxed the rods, put them in their cases and down on their shelf in the basement. I only have 5 with cork handles and they were a little dirty so I cleaned them also. Tomorrow I'll probably do the spinning rods and then I'll have them put away.

Over the winter I'll get the reels all cleaned and lubed so they will be ready come spring.

I STILL don't have my boat back - when I get it, I tell you THAT story - but I did empty it out before it went in the shop, so I have that to clean, sort & store also. It is AMAZING how much CRAP I have in that boat. So, I've also started thinning out my tackle. I am NOT going to carry so much stuff in the boat - how many times have you boat owners said that? My major clean out will be the soft plastics. I am not going to carry full bags of plastic baits or so darn many. I have too many colors, too many bags, and too many brands of the same basic bait. That needs to stop - hear that MONKEY, no one needs 193 bags (no they were not ALL full) of plastics IN THEIR BOAT.

So to all you Rebels that are still fishing, consider yourselves just flipped off. The only good thing about this time of year up here - I CAN PUT MY LAWNMOWER AWAY.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 05:17 PM   #2
lilmule

I dont care how much you clean always something left in a boat,seasoned twinkies etc tend to come back out eventually
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 06:36 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

setting back clocks form a man who has no need of one....hmm. cruel joke bruce? hahahaha!!!
Old 11-03-12, 06:54 PM   #4
WTL

I hate setting clocks back. It makes it so hard to get anything done outside after work/classes.

I am, however, going to make a dedicated effort to continue fishing throughout the winter. I'm not good at winter fishing, but I want to learn., Might try and go catch some sauger.
Old 11-03-12, 07:25 PM   #5
Jrob78

I really wish we would stop this daylight savings time nonsense. Is there any reason at all to still do it?
Old 11-03-12, 09:28 PM   #6
bamabassman

well i am one of those who thinks we should ALWAYS be on daylight savings time.
Old 11-03-12, 09:32 PM   #7
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well i am one of those who thinks we should ALWAYS be on daylight savings time.
I don't care where they decide to set the time, I just hate switching back and forth.
Old 11-03-12, 09:33 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I don't care where they decide to set the time, I just hate switching back and forth.
I agree........
Old 11-03-12, 09:58 PM   #9
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Yep, gives me a 25 hour work day today

EDIT: Unfortunately I don't get over time either!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 10:02 PM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
Yep, gives me a 25 hour work day today

EDIT: Unfortunately I don't get over time either!
Yikes!
Old 11-03-12, 10:14 PM   #11
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Yikes!
Tell me about it man, I'll be incognito tomorrow...probably sleep all day (provided the wife lets me, she likes to let me sleep a couple hours and then start harrassing me while I'm sleeping )

Ruins the weekend too....then back at it Monday morning! It all good though, I get 5 days off for Veterans day.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 01:01 AM   #12
joedog

If "standard time" is applied year round, a significant portion of the longer sunlight hours will fall in the early morning while there may still be a significant period of darkness in the evening. Because many people will tend to sleep in the early morning hours, these hours of sunlight are "wasted" for them, whereas if they are shifted to the evening via DST, they can then be "used". People could simply wake up earlier to take advantage of the sunlight then, but this is impractical because of the inflexibility of clock-based schedules.

As days shorten again in autumn/winter, sunrises get later and later, meaning that people could then be waking up and spending a significant portion of their mornings in the dark, so clocks are then returned to the "standard" time.
There is some very small electrical savings involved but bottom line....people like to STAY up as opposed to GET up.

A 2008 study examined billing data in Indiana before and after it adopted DST in 2006, and concluded that DST increased overall residential electricity consumption by 1% to 4%, due mostly to extra afternoon cooling and extra morning heating; the main increases came in the fall. The overall annual cost of DST to Indiana households was estimated to be $9 million, with an additional $1.7–5.5 million for social costs due to increased pollution. So saving money may not be a reality.

So in reality, winter months are standard time. If DST were eliminated the Fall and Winter hours would be the 'year round' time clock.

Last edited by joedog; 11-04-12 at 01:14 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 01:12 AM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
If "standard time" is applied year round, a significant portion of the longer sunlight hours will fall in the early morning while there may still be a significant period of darkness in the evening. Because many people will tend to sleep in the early morning hours, these hours of sunlight are "wasted" for them, whereas if they are shifted to the evening via DST, they can then be "used". People could simply wake up earlier to take advantage of the sunlight then, but this is impractical because of the inflexibility of clock-based schedules.

As days shorten again in autumn/winter, sunrises get later and later, meaning that people could then be waking up and spending a significant portion of their mornings in the dark, so clocks are then returned to the "standard" time.

There is some very small electrical savings involved but bottom line....people like to STAY up as opposed to GET up.
So in reality, winter months are standard time. If DST were eliminated the Fall and Winter hours would be the 'year round' time clock.
Sign me up!
Old 11-04-12, 01:28 PM   #14
bassboogieman

Quote:
I don't care where they decide to set the time
You do know there are clocks available that will do it automatically for those to dang lazy to move the big hand one complete revolution around the dial, twice a year. Oh, yeah there is the problem of direction to worry about also, it's all so confusing, who thought this up anyway? Musta been a Democrat.............. probably Al Gore.

Ok, just to beat "Fact Checker" Joedog - FDR in the USA for WWII, and yeah he was a Democrat. Originally conceived by another Franklin.............. Benjamin.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 03:52 PM   #15
joedog

Man, I'm hurt!

Ya I came across the Franklins but you know me.....I'd never waste anglers time with useless information and the political train has LEFT this depot, at least for a couple of years.
Plus if I give up ALL my useful/less information here. You know once I get on the GAME SHOW, it'll be just my luck to get a competitor from this site.
Old 11-04-12, 06:01 PM   #16
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post

I am, however, going to make a dedicated effort to continue fishing throughout the winter. I'm not good
Me too. I think for me it's more of a mindset thing rather than a fish thing. In the spring when the waters in the low to mid 50's, I'm all fired up, optimistic and happy. In the early winter with the exact water temps I'm

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.