Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-04-10, 09:14 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default BPS - Kermy

Has anybody tried the new BPS Kermy frogs yet? They look identical to the SPRO Bronzeye, and I was wondering if they held up as well and the hooks were as good as the Spro.

Ryan
Old 05-04-10, 09:55 PM   #2
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I fish a spro frog a lot, I picked up a couple kermys and Tried them out. My hook ups were not as good. I thinks because its harder plastic so it takes more for them to push down to get to the hooks.
Just my 2cents.
Old 05-04-10, 10:58 PM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I picked up a couple back in February but haven't thrown them yet
Old 05-06-10, 08:39 AM   #4
Kevin
Administrator

From some photos I've seen, it looked as if there might be lesser-quality hooks on the Kermy and it kind of looked liked they use smaller diameter living rubber (if it's living rubber at all)? BassinNC.. can you confirm? I'd be interested to know too.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 09:16 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01

I have no experience with this frog but I am a huge fan of the Bronze eye frog. If the plastic is too hard that will cause hook up problems for sure. One thing you can do to help this issue is take 2 pairs of pliers and stretch the plastic several times, this will soften the plastic. If the hooks are lesser quality then there isn't anything you can do to hide that. But with all hollow bodied frogs like this I always take pliers and open the hooks up just a little bit and this really helps hookup ratio.
Old 05-06-10, 09:33 AM   #6
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
From some photos I've seen, it looked as if there might be lesser-quality hooks on the Kermy and it kind of looked liked they use smaller diameter living rubber (if it's living rubber at all)? BassinNC.. can you confirm? I'd be interested to know too.
The hooks are not bad quality but they are not as good as the spro( in my opinion).
It is deff a different rubber than the spro. Its smells like and feels like the plastic on baby dolls.I don't play with baby dolls!!!!!
it smells bad enough that when you open your tackle box its all you smell.

I used it for a lil while and had around 10 blow ups and they would take it for a second and then it would pull out. I switched back to the spro and caught 7 out of 8 blow ups.
Old 05-06-10, 06:05 PM   #7
Bassboss

I'd say the hooks are good! Spro frogs use gammy hooks, and BPS hooks are made by gammy, so they should be pretty good! As far as the plastic of the frog, you may be able to soften it up by do this:

Get some hot water boiling, add some salt (about a tbs or two to start). Take the frog, hold it by the legs, and hold the body in there for a minuet or so. This will soften a plastic worm, I dunno about a frog though. You may wanna try adding more and more salt to soften it up though.

Try 'em out, and report back!!
Old 05-06-10, 07:36 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I'd say the hooks are good! Spro frogs use gammy hooks, and BPS hooks are made by gammy, so they should be pretty good! As far as the plastic of the frog, you may be able to soften it up by do this:

Get some hot water boiling, add some salt (about a tbs or two to start). Take the frog, hold it by the legs, and hold the body in there for a minuet or so. This will soften a plastic worm, I dunno about a frog though. You may wanna try adding more and more salt to soften it up though.

I could be wrong but I would think that once the rubber cooled back down it would be just as hard as before if not harder. I know for a fact that stretching the plastic with pliers works great for softening up Spro frogs and I would be shocked if it didn't work on these.
Old 05-06-10, 07:58 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

Salt isn't going to soften the plastic. All it's there for is to raise the boiling point of the water. So it gets hotter.

Here's my best explanation with my limited knowledge of physics (and I'm sure Bryce will correct me if I'm wrong ), it's done because once water boils, it will not get any hotter until it is all turned to steam. So raising the boiling point with salt means you'll get water hotter than 212*F (which is an ideal temperature anyways, and probably isn't going to happen due to things in the water).

And just because BPS's XPS hooks are made by gammy, how do you know the hooks they use on baits are?

BB
Old 05-06-10, 11:47 PM   #10
MIbasser

One of the guys in our club (he actually finished ahead of KVD when he was starting out) bought a couple of these frogs and tried to bend the hooks up and one of them broke. I know the Spro frogs you can do this and not have the hooks break. Just by that I would say the hooks are cheaper then the Spro. I'll stick with the $9 frogs as I know they work.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 07:44 AM   #11
rrw4258

Well, It looks like i'll be sticking with the Spro frogs as well. I figured it was too good to be true that a 4 dollar frog was just as good as a 9 dollar one. I was surprised to hear that the hooks break and are not that great because I use the BPS XPS worm hooks and they hold up pretty good. Thanks for all the info guys.

Ryan
Old 05-07-10, 11:39 AM   #12
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Agree on the stretching to achieve a more malleable plastic. I think you can also heat them up by laying them out in the sun.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 06:51 AM   #13
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Interesting. I think the rubber's pretty soft, myself
Old 05-11-10, 08:21 AM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I could be wrong but I would think that once the rubber cooled back down it would be just as hard as before if not harder. I know for a fact that stretching the plastic with pliers works great for softening up Spro frogs and I would be shocked if it didn't work on these.
Oh darn! Rubber not plastic. I see how it would harden rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Salt isn't going to soften the plastic. All it's there for is to raise the boiling point of the water. So it gets hotter.

Here's my best explanation with my limited knowledge of physics (and I'm sure Bryce will correct me if I'm wrong ), it's done because once water boils, it will not get any hotter until it is all turned to steam. So raising the boiling point with salt means you'll get water hotter than 212*F (which is an ideal temperature anyways, and probably isn't going to happen due to things in the water).

And just because BPS's XPS hooks are made by gammy, how do you know the hooks they use on baits are?

BB
I don't know why they wouldn't use them on there baits, but it's pretty save to assume I guess.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.