Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-10, 05:40 PM   #1
Safebet
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Question about flurocarbon line

I am just starting to learn to bass fish. I am getting on in years and previously I lived where the only thing to fish for was catfish, crappie and sandies. I grew up using Stren monofilament. I would like to set up a drop shot, finesse rod. I am going to use a spinning outfit I have and was thinking about using 6 - 8 lb. flurocarbon.

Does it have as much memory as monofilament?
How does it cast compared to monofilament?

How does it act on a baitcaster as compared to monofilament? I was thinking of using 15 - 20 lb. on the baitcasters.

Thanks, in advance for the help.
Safebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 06:04 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Stren Fluoro? Never used it. But I have used BPS and tripple fish. IMO, tripple fish is THE WORST flouro on the market, VERY brittle, thick, and LOTS of memory. Stay away from it. BPS is pretty good, I've used the 14 on my cranking and casting reels. It casts ok, but I'm sure it has more memory than others. Prolly best in it's price. I hear awesome stuff about seagar invizX and AbrazX (InX for spinning, AbX or casting) very limp, and decent sensitivity. Decent price as well.

And yes, as a general rule, flouro's got more memory than mono. It's also more sensitive & and abrasion resistant.
Old 05-17-10, 06:24 PM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Seagur invizx is the way to go man great in casting and spinning reels just use a line conditioner and memory won't be to big of a issue

Jim
Old 05-17-10, 06:53 PM   #4
BassMan83
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with the above, Seaguar Invizx is great stuff. Make sure you get INVIZX and not Abrazx. I found the Abrazx to be a little stiffer than the Invizx and would cause random loops of line on my baitcaster. Heres a link http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...17000_100-17-2
BassMan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 06:59 AM   #5
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have to vote for InvisX as well.....also had good luck with Trilene 100% (stay away from their Vanish line). My son likes BPS' line also but I've never fished it.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 09:33 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've seen fluorocarbons with worse memory than the worst mono I've seen, but I've also seen Fluorocarbons with very little memory, similar to a good mono.

Just like with memory, it all depends on how good the fluorocarbon is and how good the mono is you're comparing it to.

I've got to say that Seaguar InvisX is the best fluorocarbon I've used, and arguably one of the best on the market. I've also heard many good things about AbrasX, but haven't gotten around to using it.

Neither I, or my dad (who's been using Stren mono for years), has been happy with it lately. When I use mono, I've switched completely over to Sufix monofilament (Elite and Siege), and my dad is also completely using Sufix Elite as well.

Compared to the last few spools on Stren mono we've gotten, I find Seaguar InvisX to have less memory, cast better, and have more sensitivity than Stren mono.

I treat all my non-braided lines with KVD Line and Lure at least once a month (normally twice). And haven't had any problems at all with the InvisX.

BB
Old 05-18-10, 09:51 AM   #7
nofearengineer

I haven't used a lot of different types of fluorocarbon, but I have noticed that fluoro memory seems to depend more on temperature than mono. When it's cold, it loops up a little more.

I was skeptical about line conditioners too, but KVD does really seem to work. Best part is, your line will let you know when it's time to re-apply with a nice almost-backlash.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.