Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-11-10, 01:50 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Had a line issue this weekend.

I loaded my baitcaster with new Triline XL 12lb line before our trip to lake Ouachita this past weekend, and this was my first time to use this stuff.....i've used Triline for years, but this was my first roll of XL. As the day went on, I became extremely frustrated with it because everytime i'd go to tie a new lure the line would break at the knot. I've been tieing the same knot for years and never had this happen.....at one point I tied on a spinnerbait 8 times and each time i'd cinch the knot down it would break on the lure side of the knot....What gives? Anybody had these kind of problems with XL or did I just get a bad roll or?? And "YES" I wet the knot with saliva before I pull it tight.....any ideas? I've still got alot on this roll and hate to waste it, but i'll be danged if I go thru all that frustration again and I doubt that i'll buy another roll of it, I was just curious to what ya'll thought? I think my next roll of line will be Power Pro.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 02:10 PM   #2
islandbass

Major bummer! This is usually a very good and reliable mono. Sounds like a very bad spool of line. I use XL for my UL setup and have hauled in 3 lbrs without a problem. Send it back to them and tell them what happened and either request the same line or one of their others. I bet that they would accommodate your request.
Old 05-11-10, 02:24 PM   #3
rrw4258

Berkley is a good company and they will take care of you if you send them the line back, they will replace it with ANY line they make, including 100% fluorocarbon!

Ryan
Old 05-11-10, 06:40 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I hate Trilene for this reason. I have had bad experience after bad experience with Trilene and finally swore it off for good.
Old 05-11-10, 07:35 PM   #5
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well I have xl on all but 3 of my rods. Never had any problem.
Maybe I've been lucky but I think its good stuff.
Old 05-11-10, 07:38 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

It's strange how some guys swear by this stuff and other guys hate it. I haven't heard many people say that they kinda like it, not much of a grey area it seems.
Old 05-11-10, 07:59 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I love XL. Low memory and casts a mile. On 2 different occasions I've had other fisherman comment on how far I'm casting.
I've been using it for a couple years now with zero problems.
Even using 8# I've never had line break like that, 66. My opinion is, you just got a bad/old spool.
If by some chance, you can't get a replacement for free, I'd grab a different spool, from a different place, and give it another go, since it's pretty inexpensive.
Old 05-11-10, 08:15 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I tried XL a couple times, and it had some bad memory in my opinion. But I've never had the knot problem though. That was back when I was still using Stren. Then stren got just as bad. Now, when I opt for mono, I use nothing but Sufix Elite (Haven't tried Siege yet, but heard it's just as good)

BB
Old 05-11-10, 08:19 PM   #9
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I tried XL a couple times, and it had some bad memory in my opinion. But I've never had the knot problem though. That was back when I was still using Stren. Then stren got just as bad. Now, when I opt for mono, I use nothing but Sufix Elite (Haven't tried Siege yet, but heard it's just as good)

BB

The Siege I got has terrible memory. Seriously the worst memory problems I've ever had.
I grabbed some Braid Aid from Gander. It helped some, for a while, but I gotta put some on again
Old 05-11-10, 09:31 PM   #10
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds like you got a spool that was sitting around a long time on the shelf. I've used XL alot in the past and never had too many problems but I using Suffix Elite now when using mono.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 11:30 PM   #11
66KingFisher

I've heard alot of you guys speak about how much ya'll like Suffix mono, so when I purchase any more I might give them a try.....but i'm really thinkin about switching to a braid.....possibly Power Pro since its readily available from my local Wallyworld and not too expensive....My main concern is whether or not i'll have to run a mono or floro leader all the time or will I be able to get away with braid alone? My fishin buddy Ron heard my talking about braid being a better line for spinning reels so this weekend he loaded up his little ultralight setup with some Power Pro and he seemed to be very happy with it so far, except for the fact that once your hung up....your hung up and have to cut your line....lol....or try and bend the hook and that wasn't easy even with the small bream sized tackle he uses.

I'm beginning to think the XL might have been an age issue....the roll was new and unopened but i've had it since last fall.....is that too long to keep mono layin around?
Old 05-12-10, 05:40 AM   #12
MallenManson

Unless it was on your dash, having it since last fall wouldn't be an issue . My biggest concern would be it's age before it got to you.
As far as braid, I got hooked on Sufix Performance braid last year.
Not sure if Wallyworld has it, but Sufix has rebates going right now, if you're interested.
$6 back on 150 yard spool of Performance braid, also $6 back on 2 330 yard spools of Elite mono
Old 05-12-10, 08:50 PM   #13
MallenManson

Joined north american fishing club a couple months back. Got my first product to test, today.
Trilene XL 12# lol.
Old 05-12-10, 09:19 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Joined north american fishing club a couple months back. Got my first product to test, today.
Trilene XL 12# lol.
God what a huge waste of money... They're Trilene XL has extra memory.

BB
Old 05-13-10, 08:18 AM   #15
MallenManson

Quote:
God what a huge waste of money... They're Trilene XL has extra memory.

BB

I have no idea what it is you're sayin
Old 05-13-10, 08:33 AM   #16
Mac2

Check the spool, there are small numbers and a letter at the bottom of the label that date the line. It could be all in numbers and if so each digit tells you month, day, year and then one digit is manufacturer's code. It also could start with a letter for the month, A being January, B February, C is March and so on....then the day and year follow. If the line is two years old it's probably OK, if older than two it's old. Lady at Berkley says some of the big box stores store the line in truck boxes, metal.....and the line gets too hot and comes out weak. She told me never to buy any line over 2. Also, be sure to wet the knot before drawing down.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 11:22 AM   #17
Mac2

As an afterthought, if the line isn't old, try using the Palomar knot and wetting it before drawing down as well. Sometimes the Palomar works well about not breaking at the knot so easily.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 12:05 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I have no idea what it is you're sayin

The NAFC is pretty much a waste of money IMO. I tested three products during the time I was a member, and never anything over $10. Also, they send you free Trilene XL with a ton of things, and every spool I got had horrible memory. I wouldn't surprise me if it was old.

Looking on the bright side, free backing is the best backing.

BB
Old 05-14-10, 08:14 PM   #19
MallenManson

Quote:
The NAFC is pretty much a waste of money IMO. I tested three products during the time I was a member, and never anything over $10. Also, they send you free Trilene XL with a ton of things, and every spool I got had horrible memory. I wouldn't surprise me if it was old.

Looking on the bright side, free backing is the best backing.

BB

Now I got ya. Hasn't been a waste of money for me though. Between the free Rattlin Rapala and the $25 Tee (BPS), for 10 bucks, I'm doin alright.
Good to know on the line though
Old 05-14-10, 09:13 PM   #20
66KingFisher

Ya know....Now that you've brought this up.....Its very possible the roll of XL that gave me all the trouble came from NAFC.....I had two rolls...one from Walmart and the other I got from them about the same time.....Hmmmmmm.
Old 05-21-10, 08:21 PM   #21
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Ya know....Now that you've brought this up.....Its very possible the roll of XL that gave me all the trouble came from NAFC.....I had two rolls...one from Walmart and the other I got from them about the same time.....Hmmmmmm.

Hehe. You might be on to somethin there. I haven't tried the 12# NAFC sent me yet. One more problem with the Sufix I have spooled up and I will.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.