Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-10, 11:19 AM   #1
jr.ego
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Few rods, few reels. Combo advice with what I have?

I currently have 2 reels, an older Pflueger reel with a green tint (5:1:1), and a new Abu Garcia Revo SX 6:4:1. In addition i have a 7' MH Ugly Stik, a 6'6" MH Berkley lightning rod, and another Ugly Stik, 6' M. I would like to use one of the two setups for topwater (poppers, frogs, yum money hound) and another for crankbaits and/or texas rig. Any suggestions on a solid combo given what i have? or line suggestions?

Last edited by jr.ego; 05-05-10 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Title non represenative of thread.
jr.ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 12:06 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Revo/7' MH rod for topwater apps,and T-rigs ..(I tend to use 14lb mono for topwater...This will also work well for t-rigs,I prefer heavier line,but 14lb will be sufficient. Suffix Siege is what I use and like.
The higher gear ratio will allow for better slack control on these presentations which leads to faster hooksets.
Also the length of the rod will make for better/easier presentations,and fish control once their on.

Pflueger/6'6'' lighting rod for cranks (10-12lb test range,I use mono,also Suffix Siege)
The lower gear ratio allows for more torque to really dive them crankbaits.

The 6' will also work well for cranks,I prefer the extra length to sling em....Try them both and see what you like best.
good luck and welcome to the monkey house!!

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 05-05-10 at 12:15 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 01:02 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the board, and let me get this out of the way...

That said, I more often use shorter rods for topwater. Topwater requires a bit better accuracy.

Cranks are more open water, and a long cast is made easier by the long rod.

I would put the Revo on whichever rod I would be more likely to use most.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 03:12 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Welcome to the site! Where do you fish around NW Ohio?

Back to the question. I hate to recommend an ugly stick for contact fishing like t-rigs, so I'd have to I'd use the 6'6" MH Lightning rod with the Revo.

For the topwaters, I'd go with the 6' M. I like a shorter rod for working topwaters so you're not constantly slapping the tip of the rod in the water. And for cranks, the 7' MH since ugly sticks do not have a fast action, and I prefer a longer rod for crankbaits.

BB
Old 05-05-10, 03:23 PM   #5
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Welcome to the site! Where do you fish around NW Ohio?

Back to the question. I hate to recommend an ugly stick for contact fishing like t-rigs, so I'd have to I'd use the 6'6" MH Lightning rod with the Revo.

For the topwaters, I'd go with the 6' M. I like a shorter rod for working topwaters so you're not constantly slapping the tip of the rod in the water. And for cranks, the 7' MH since ugly sticks do not have a fast action, and I prefer a longer rod for crankbaits.

BB
Hmm,this is true from the very few uglies that Ive fished with...I think BB right on the money now that I think about more.
Old 05-05-10, 09:02 PM   #6
jr.ego
BassFishin.Com Member

Well thanks for the help, bigbassin up towards the toledo area or swanton sometimes. Never opposed to hitting up SE Michigan for a weekend either.
jr.ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 09:56 PM   #7
Rebbasser

I base the rod action-M, MH, etc.-on the type bait I will be throwing. If it has a treble hook it is on a M action rod, and if it has a single hook it is on a MH or H action rod.

The reason is most treble hook baits will hook the fish when it hits and a more limber rod has more give to it so there is less chance the hooks will tear out.

Single hook baits, on the other hand, usually require an active hookset-jigs, worms, frogs, etc.-so a rod with more backbone-MH or H-give you a better chance to get a good hookset.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.