Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-10, 02:11 AM   #1
jr.ego
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Northwest Ohio Fishing

Im up near Toledo and I was wondering if anyone know of some legit spots to go in NW ohio/SE Michigan. I have explored closer to home, but a friend and I are looking to do some traveling this summer, I would be content driving 2 or 3 hours to find a spot to fish. any suggestions?
jr.ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 08:02 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

jr, I live just outside toledo, and know of some decent spots.

Pretty much every small town west, east, and south of toledo has a reservoir. Most allow boats, but electric motors only. Some of the smaller ones, like Metamora are shore fishing only. We haven't fished many reservoirs for bass, but we've ice fished on a few and did some bluegill, perch, or walleye fishing on some.

You'll have no problems finding good lakes within 2-3 hrs driving, most will be up in Michigan unless you want to drive down around c-bus, and I know they got some good musky fishing around there, but I don't know about bass.

3 hrs can get you as far west as Indiana like Clear Lake. Or a bit farther north you've got the Randall Chain outside Coldwater, MI (which I've fished). I bit closer to home, there are a ton of lakes in the Irish Hills, although many are private and many are jet ski/pleasure boater lakes.

BB
Old 05-06-10, 08:27 AM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Go to Lake St. Clair now!! Find a fishing report and you shouldn’t have a problem boating 20+ smallies. Most will be 2-3 pound fish with a 4-5 pounder in there as well. If I didn't have a tournament next week I would be fishing LSC this weekend. I did hear that Kent Lake (Wixom, MI) is also pretty hot right now as well. Good luck!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 08:44 AM   #4
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In Michigan, near the town of Brighton you will find Bishop Lake, an integral part of the Brighton State Recreation Area. Launch at the ramp and take the channel through the reeds to the right.....gets very shallow as the channel ends, but once over the hump it's bass fishing paradise at times.....if you have a canoe or kayak or can get access to either I'd suggest fishing with either one of those. The "No Wake" sign at the ramp pertains to the whole lake, not just the immediate area. Best fishing on an overcast day.

By going through the reeds and making it over the shallows you eliminate some of the heavier boats. You will also find that the weeds on the left side of this area grow in troughs....and by casting ahead of your drift your lure drops between "humps" of weeds and often will draw strikes from unsuspecting bass. We fished weightless Slider and Razor worms with great success, sometimes when windy adding a sixteenth ounce slider hook to the mix.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.