Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-10, 01:45 PM   #1
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Rod Building

First have to say that I've fished Falcon Rods for 11+ years now, and I'm very satisfied with them, but there are just a couple models that they are lacking, and it seems that they only way I can get what I want is to build it myself.

So, for the guys on here that build rods (I've seen some pretty ones!) can I get some recommendations on components, and best best reasonably priced blanks?

Thanks guys!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 02:23 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What exactly are you wanting to build??
Are you prepared for a horrible addiction???hahaha!

Resources I use for supplies/componets are:

Mudhole.com
Acidrod.com
Jannsnetcraft.com
Swampland tackle.com
Schnieder rods.com
Theres several more,but Ive ordered from all of these places and prices vary very little,plus (with the exception of Janns) I got great customer service!..If Mudhole carried Batson products I would probably only ordered from there!
They do carry the most stuff.
If you go to rodbuilding.org on the forum..They have a huge list of suppliers on the left side of the screen.

Best resonable blanks- MHX blanks (Mudhole) Batson Rainshadow RX7 Blanks(acidrod ,Janns,swampland,schnieder)....For the money,you cannot beat them for the quality you get!...Thier extremely similar as far as response/recovery,sensistivity,and not to mention how light they are!.I do know that the MHX blanks were modeled after the Loomis IMX..Ive also heard rumors that Falcon used Rainshadow blanks for thier rods back in the day...I cant proved that,it just came off a rodbuilding forum...So who knows?..Ill see if I can dig that up again.
I know Jrob78 likes the Lamiglass,but he can tell you more about them

Components are a personal preference.....Ive been building strictly with the Fuji Concept Alconites guides for both spinning and casting rods.....So far I have no reason to change...They handle any line and thier also one of the lightest guides on the market. am hearing great,great things about the Batson Alps guides...Ive yet to try them,but builders rave about thier weight and durability constantly
I also like the graphite Fuji reel seats (I prefer the ACS,but the ECSM is really dependable too!)Some people just find the ACS uncomfortable with the double trigger.
Its extremely hard for me to break away from Fuji products...Ive used other brand reel seats,but I still prefer Fuji.
I.

Theres a ton of components to pick from....Just read up on them and see what you like best....
Theres a ton of information on rodbuilding online....Between the guys on here who build,we get you on your way...haha!

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 05-18-10 at 02:31 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 06:50 PM   #3
Jrob78

Waffle pretty much covered the basics. If you are looking for economical blanks MHX and Rainshadow are the way to go. I personally have one MHX and it is a very good blank for the money. Let us know your budget and we can give different suggestions. Blank prices range from $20 Mudhole CRB blanks to several hundred dollar NFC blanks.

I too use only Fuji Alconite concept guides. They are very reasonably priced, light and tough. There are other good guides out there just none that I have used.

My advice to you would be to read everything you can. Rodbuilding.org is a great place to learn. They have a library full of useful information and the forums are great too.

Do you have a wrapper and dryer? There are some basic items that you will need to get started. Your wrapper can be as simple or fancy as you want. I built my own, you can buy them online though. Some people use a cardboard box with V's cut in it. I use a electric motor to dry my rod, you can do it by hand too though.

Start reading and go to Mudhole's website and start looking at components. The possibilities are endless. Narrow it down to what kind of rod you want to build and how much you want to spend. I think we can give you more specific, useful advice when you have a better idea of what exactly you want to do.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 10:21 PM   #4
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am finishing up my first rod, and I am so glad I didn't go big ($$) like I initially planned. Start with the MHX blanks.....I have been pretty satisfied with it so far, and they are really economical (~$50 vs ~$150 for North Fork).

My rod will be functional, but aesthetically it has a lot to yearn for. :-) My rod would be a forensic scientist's dream with all the fingerprints I am leaving. LOL. I thought I wouldn't have problems because I read, read, read, and asked 1000 questions. Turns out, it has been humbling. I am excited to get this one finished so I can start on my next one. Maybe I will post pictures of the 2nd. :-)

Waffle and Jrob have been indispensable in the process. Lean on them a bit. :-) You can ask me some questions too if you are going for the "6 month old finger painting" look. LOL
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 11:09 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiK View Post
I am finishing up my first rod, and I am so glad I didn't go big ($$) like I initially planned. Start with the MHX blanks.....I have been pretty satisfied with it so far, and they are really economical (~$50 vs ~$150 for North Fork).

My rod will be functional, but aesthetically it has a lot to yearn for. :-) My rod would be a forensic scientist's dream with all the fingerprints I am leaving. LOL. I thought I wouldn't have problems because I read, read, read, and asked 1000 questions. Turns out, it has been humbling. I am excited to get this one finished so I can start on my next one. Maybe I will post pictures of the 2nd. :-)

Waffle and Jrob have been indispensable in the process. Lean on them a bit. :-) You can ask me some questions too if you are going for the "6 month old finger painting" look. LOL
Haha, my first would fit the 6 month old finger painting look too! CiK is absolutely right though. Odds are your first rod will be functional but not flawless by any stretch. You need one or two under you belt to figure out what the heck you're doing.

I agree completely that you should go cheaper for your first build. The MHX and the RX7 will both be blanks that you will feel good about fishing but won't break the bank.

Screw ups you are going to have will most likely be cosmetic but you don't want that on your $300 HM series NFC blank.
Old 05-19-10, 09:15 AM   #6
CamG

Yes, I already have the tools necessary including a turner and thread wrapper as I use them for my call business in different applications.

Actually looking to build a new swimbait rod. The problem I run into is finding the right blank, as they are very limited.

Cost isn't a huge concern - but I'd like to stay under $150, as I've found someone that can make me good one for that price already.

I appreciate the links! I'll be reading today.
Old 05-19-10, 11:21 AM   #7
CamG

I believe this is the blank I'm looking at getting:

Rainshadow RX-7 Graphite - SW967

8', 1 Piece, Line 15-25, Lure Weight - 3/4-4, Butt .680, Tip7.5

Action - Mod/Fast, Power - Med/HVY

I'm looking to put a 14" grip on it, but that is all I know for sure. Don't know what style.

The things that I don't know:

Reel Seat - Looking at this Fuji -
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...port-Reel-Seat

Guides - Have no idea yet. And, I'll be looking for guide spacing recommendations.

Everything else is up in the air.
Old 05-19-10, 01:18 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I believe this is the blank I'm looking at getting:

Rainshadow RX-7 Graphite - SW967

8', 1 Piece, Line 15-25, Lure Weight - 3/4-4, Butt .680, Tip7.5

Action - Mod/Fast, Power - Med/HVY

I'm looking to put a 14" grip on it, but that is all I know for sure. Don't know what style.

The things that I don't know:

Reel Seat - Looking at this Fuji -
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...port-Reel-Seat

Guides - Have no idea yet. And, I'll be looking for guide spacing recommendations.

Everything else is up in the air.
That will make an excellent rod!!
A quick tip while Im thinking about it...On the rod blank tip measurement,Always add 1/2 a size up when ordering....So this is a 7.5,so I suggest you order a 8 tube size...You have the ring size to match the guides,than your tube size for the blank.

I firmly believe static testing is the best way to go on guide placement...It takes a little time,but its by far my favorite method.
http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/staticguide.html

You can take measurements and do it that way,and then static test it to make sure the line is evenly distributed when you apply load,but all blanks are different,and I prefer letting the individual blank tell me where the guides should go,and true static testing does this by 3 different levels of flexing the rod.....Its just been my new preference and doing test casting with the rods afterwards have been very rewarding

A good rule of thumb on the number of guides you'll need is the length of the blank + 1 +tip

So in your case,8ft would be 9 guides plus the tip
If it was a 7'6 it would still be 9 guides because you round up the 6''

Guide size varies...Theres some charts on Mudhole that Have some recommendations....I wont use more than 4 different sizes in guide...Some only use 3.

Typically on casting rods I do 12mm,10mm,8mm,and 6mm the rest the way out.

I highly suggest using the search tool on Rodbuilding.org.
Seas of information,different theories,and tips!
It can make you crazy!

ok,ok,Ill shut up
Old 05-19-10, 06:47 PM   #9
Jrob78

I agree that static testing is the way to go for guide placement. I also echo Waffle's recommendation on sizes. I normally use guides as small as possible, often micros. This rod however would be best suited with a more traditional guide set. I would also probably order a few extra running guides. You might find that 9 isn't enough for a 8' rod. Static testing should answer that for you though.

As far as reel seats go I use the Fuji ECS seats. The one you picked out looks very interesting, it isn't a regular reel seat like you are used to. It also doesn't have the blank through design, which might not be important on a long swimbait rod. It also won't have to be sized like blank through seats do. You will have to make arbors which can be graphite or simply masking tape.

As far as your grip, you will have to decide if you want eva or cork, split or full length, foregrip or none. I generally go split grip with no foregrip.

Another thing to consider is thread, if you use NCP thread or metallic it will hold it's color. If you use regular nylon thread, color preserver has to be applied or the color will darken and almost turn transparent. The downside to NCP threads are they usually have a dull appearance.
Old 05-20-10, 08:59 AM   #10
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'm also a fan of the Fuji ECS reel seat.

As far as guides go, I use Fuji Alconite guides with a Fuji SiC tip. I like Fuji's Concept Guide system the best, and it will be similar to Falcon's LowRider guide system that you're probably familiar with by now.

When I get buy Fuji Guides that use the Concept Guide System, I've always gotten an instruction sheet for guide placement with it.

BB
Old 05-20-10, 05:04 PM   #11
CamG

Thanks guys! I'll be doing some playing here soon.

I'm actually considering this grip - just because it seems to make sense. When fishing swimbaits, you're forced to palm the reel with the larger reels. I'm currently using a Shimano Cardiff 301, and it's fairly large, so it may work out.

Handles - I think I want a split grip, but don't know yet.

Micros is what I was planning on, but may have to rethink that.
Old 05-20-10, 05:26 PM   #12
Jrob78

If you don't run leaders, micros or some form of scaled down guide system should work really well. If I were building that rod for myself and not planning on using leaders i would probably go double footed 12, 8, 6 and then size 4 or 5 micros all the rest of the way. Since you are using a large reel I would want a step down to the micros. Static testing would be a must and I would definitely order a few different sized double footed reduction guides to see what worked best. I would try to go as small as possible though.

Sounds like a fun rod to build!!
Old 05-20-10, 05:58 PM   #13
CamG

Yeah, I never run leaders.

I was told that I could run all number 5 micros, but I think I like your idea better.

I'm ready to get this going.

BTW - the blank is on it's way! Exciting.

Last edited by CamG; 05-20-10 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-20-10, 07:08 PM   #14
Jrob78

Sounds great Cam, it's pretty exciting when that big tube shows up!

So far I have run all micros on my rods too. I've had really good success using all size 4's but on shorter rods with low profile reels. My main concern would be the size of your reel. The angle from level wind to the first guide is going to be pretty exteme if you start off with a micro. The solution to that is to space your first guide really far from the reel, or use a few reduction guides. Again, this is where static testing plays a huge roll, you can mock up and test cast different set ups until you find what works the best.

Last edited by Jrob78; 05-21-10 at 09:14 AM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.