Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 01-08-14, 02:14 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default How's the ammo situation?

Just curious, I mentioned this on my previous thread about my new toy but I guess it's too old to attract any attention.

How's the ammo situation in your neck of the woods? I recently purchased a .380 pistol and not really thinking too much about it, tried to purchase ammo for it after I did all the paperwork and picked it up. Cabela's did not have any .380 ammo in stock. Nor did a couple of my area shops, it took me three stops to find some. Most of the internet sites I checked didn't have much in the way of 50 round boxes, several had bulk 1000 round but I don't need that much .380 caliber.

The other thing is price it's up about 25% from about a year ago. I paid $60 for two (50 rnd) boxes of .380. What with the last lead smelter in the USA going extinct, what the heck does the future hold? I'm a little concerned. I'm beginning to believe that if the Government fails in attempts to take away our guns, they will make the ammunition too expensive to purchase.

Anyway, I know part of it is due to the massive buy of guns AND ammo last year with the threats of banning some firearms. I also think part of it may be demand - ammo makers did not anticipate the run on the small "pocket" guns in the last few years and got caught with their pants down, maybe?

Last summer and fall it was .22 ammo that was hard to find and when found was at a premium. I had some issues with finding .223 last year - that was understandable. Have not had the same issue with 9mm or .45ACP, that seems to be readily available. My nephew is helping me out with doing reloads - I actually prefer factory ammo in my carry (self defense) loads - for practice.

So, how are you finding your ammo? I hate to think about stock piling, but maybe I will do that - about 250 - 500 rounds for each of my pistols will be expensive. 1000 rounds of .223, wow I better start saving...
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 05:44 PM   #2
3dkicker

Picked up a Ruger Mark III .22 semi Target pistol recently and hit Dick's for some .22 rounds and they were sold out. They had tons and tons of shotgun rounds though. Massive pallets full. Weird. .22 rounds should be plentiful. Fortunately I had a box of 100 that I had bought a couple years ago.
My nephew recently bought a .243 and I was at G Mt looking to pick up some 100 grain rounds for him but they only had one brand in stock and 3 100 round boxes. They cost double what my nephew found his for at Walmart. The ones at G Mt were twice as expensive as the 150 grain 30-30 rounds they had in stock. Don't get it.
Old 01-08-14, 08:43 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have around 500 rounds of .380 ammo and no more than I shoot it, that's enough. So I haven't checked around in a while but last I checked it was still pretty hard to find around here. Ammo for my .40 wasn't near as hard and it seemed like most calibers were starting to get easier to find so maybe .380 isn't as bad now. One thing I try to tell everyone, and it's just my opinion so take it or leave it. In my opinion it is asking for trouble to carry reloads for concealed carry. Even though we all know that there is nothing special or different with reloaded ammo (granted it's going to perform a little better in most cases but it's not a big enough difference to be noticeable for concealed carry) if you have to use deadly force in self defense the type of ammo you used will be talked about in court. Our liberal media who knows nothing about guns will find out that you were using hand loaded ammunition and when they get done with their story you will have been a lunatic that was using some massive killing concoction that you master minded in your basement with the intentions of doing all kinds of evil with. You know how the media works and it's something to consider.
Old 01-08-14, 11:57 PM   #4
keithdog

The ammo around here is so so. BPS hasn't got squat. Nor does Walmart. Gander Mountain has a variety of various pistol loads, But no 22 cal. But then, NO ONE around here has .22 ammo. Cabelas is another option for me, but it's a bit more of a drive and I havn't been there in 2 years, so no info from them. As for price, 9mm Federal FMJ bullets are $17.00 at my local gun dealer, Blythes Sporting Goods. I don't own a .380 so I couldn't tell you what they are running here.
Old 01-09-14, 07:16 AM   #5
nobass

i do not own a 380 but serveral of my co workers do here and n.c. hey say it is tough to fine any . and when gthey do thet can only get 1 or 2 boxes
Old 01-09-14, 01:29 PM   #6
lilmule

I can get 9x17 just about anywhere just limited selection,9x18 worse like one brand,32 acp hit hard the high fps stuff is still being bought by jobbers who try to double their money.One of ,my favorites was sellier and bellot 205 fpe,but its lack on shelves is due to Obama many foregin ammos are now prohibited,as to why it has a steel core and therefore armor piercing yeah in 32 acp,needless to say buffalo bore stepped up to the plate with a 220 fpe 32 acp,caution not all 32 acp are built for that.But if self defense high cost ammo is desired you can find it,just not the low cost imports.Buy all the ammo you want and mark it up im not a buyer lol,even walmart employees have done this
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-14, 04:16 PM   #7
MIbasser

I think here in MI you have to hit the store at the right time. Finding .223, .40, .45 are really easy and some stores have too much of it. The .380 I've found here and there when needed, but the stores will only have 1-2 boxes. .22 is the same way. I've found a few 500 round packs and picked them up and every now and then I'll find some CCI Mini Mags. Again, I think I just got lucky. I try to stay away from Gander. They seem to be $5-10 higher then the others.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-14, 07:32 PM   #8
Jrob78

It's getting a lot better here. 6 months ago you had to be at the store when it opened on shipment day or you weren't getting anything. I haven't looked for .380 though, it may be more scarce here too. I'm really hoping the prices settle back down once supply catches up.

I also agree with Kory about carrying hand loads. I wouldn't do it either, for the same reasons he mentioned.
Old 01-09-14, 08:45 PM   #9
lilmule

Handloads would be no worse than hollow point or frangible defense loads both of which are banned in warfare or use by armies.I use 9x18 mak and fmj,bullet accuracy or placement is the key,not double stack mags with 15-18 rds.I learned to shoot with a single shot weapon,hunted with it,the common belief when one hears multiple shots is they missed with the first then added to the misses,often rings true.The average gunfight meaning both parties have one is three shots in length with both parties hit,injured with generally 1 becoming deceased,so what good are the other 16 or 17 rds. THERE ARE SOME WITH 500 RDS STILL BUYING AMMO THUS A SHORTAGE LOL truth is have 700 of 22 box of 50 for each of my pistols 32acp,9x18,45 acp seems to be enough,shoot them every month few shots to make sure me and it are operational,box a year does me as not plicking do that with the 22 more affordable like 18 dollars per 500 in bulk
Old 01-09-14, 10:57 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Handloads would be no worse than hollow point or frangible defense loads both of which are banned in warfare or use by armies.
I'm not saying they are. I'm saying that if you should use handloaded ammo for self defense and had to stand trial they would pick you apart for it.
Old 01-11-14, 08:55 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

If you are looking for .22s L or mags, you are fresh out of luck still around here. I bought my boys a .243 barrel for my TC Encore and I wanted 100gr Core-lots or Win 100gr Power Points....nada. I ended up having to buy 90gr Rem Scirrocos @ $45/box. I only have a .45 pistol, so I have plenty of those and can't speak for much else.
Old 01-11-14, 11:12 PM   #12
lilmule

My point was most likely pick you apart for self defense ammo like jhp or frangible as well,so hand load could actually BE MILDER IN NATURE YET STILL PICKED APART. Havnt a clue why all kinds of ammo is unavailable like 38 s and w short,lol hasn't been a run on that stuff ever and who would stockpile it,somehow Obama fits in.Under national security in any emergency declared like a hurricane marshall law comes into play they confiscate guns-Katrina and since then buying thousands of rds of ammo and surplus plastic coffins.There is a master plan can buy a gun just no ammo lol.At least a limited selection
Old 01-12-14, 07:54 AM   #13
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Wal Mart

I was in Wal Mart to purchase a "behind the counter" knife that you could attach to your key chain, that was commandeered by TSA, (I forgot to remove it)....anyway a guy in front of me asked the cashier for some 40 grain 22 bullets. I wouldn't know 40 from 400 grain but the gal turned and pointed to empty shelves on where they should have been. No caliber of any sort were on the shelves.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 11:09 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The Gander Mountain around here (one they remodeled that is now a gun superstore) has pretty much every caliber. 22, 9, 10, 40, 45, 380, 38 special, 357 mag, 44 mag even some more uncommon stuff. The one that seems to come and go is the AR stuff; .223 and 5.56.

.22 is the first thing to sell out, but they always get more. It's mostly various CCI stuff, I wish they'd get in some bulk .22 though. They haven't been out of 9mm for a few months, and I pick up a box or two when I go in there.

I still think BPS, Cabela's and Wally World are having trouble keeping ammo in stock around here though.

BB
Old 01-17-14, 12:21 PM   #15
joedog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lbrWxAOWAQ

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.