Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 10-06-11, 10:05 PM   #51
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
The Cardinals keep hanging around don't they? Boy what a pitching matchup we are set for in game 5. Two of the best pitchers in the game, Carpenter vs. Halladay. This is the 3rd time we will have faced Halladay in the last month and I am a firm believer that everytime a pitcher faces the same lineup the advantage swings a little more towards the hitters side so hopefully we will have a good offensive night.
I agree with you 100%, I will say though, a pitcher as good as Halladay should be able to mix it up well enough to keep the hitters off balance. If Carpenter and Halladay both have all their pitches working, it should make for a hell of a game!

The Tigers are up 3-1 on the Yank-Me's after 5. It was awesome watching Nova give up back to back homeruns to start the game. I hope they can hold on and ruin the Yankees season. I want to see A-Rod and Teixeira cry.

Last edited by Jrob78; 10-06-11 at 10:10 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 11:47 PM   #52
Henke
BassFishin.Com Member

The Tigers outplayed NY, congrats to the Tigers ! Maybe next year ?
Old 10-06-11, 11:58 PM   #53
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
The Tigers outplayed NY, congrats to the Tigers ! Maybe next year ?
Thanks for not being a sore loser, I respect that.

Here come the Tigers, it should be a good series. I'm glad we have home field advantage.
Old 10-07-11, 01:48 AM   #54
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I agree with you 100%, I will say though, a pitcher as good as Halladay should be able to mix it up well enough to keep the hitters off balance. If Carpenter and Halladay both have all their pitches working, it should make for a hell of a game!
You are totally right about that Joe. The biggest advantage in my eyes is that this is the 3rd time recently that the cardinals hitters have see Halladays pitches. Not saying he won't mix it up, but I think the more times you can see a guys breaking ball, fastball, split finger, or whatever, the easier it will become to pick it up out of his hands. It will also make hiding the ball a little more difficult as well. On the other hand you can make this same point in the Pillies favor as well so I don't think it's so much of giving the hitters an advantage as it is just taking the advantage away from the guy on the bump. I wouldn't be surprised to see a pitchers duel but I also wouldn't be shocked if it was a higher scoring game than the ERAs suggest, we'll see.
Old 10-07-11, 03:39 AM   #55
bcklash

TIGERS WIN TIGERS WIN OH YEA

Hey Joe about a little side bet. The loser buys the winner a lucky craft crankbait.

Of course now I'm pulling for AL no matter what.
Old 10-07-11, 10:06 AM   #56
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
TIGERS WIN TIGERS WIN OH YEA

Hey Joe about a little side bet. The loser buys the winner a lucky craft crankbait.

Of course now I'm pulling for AL no matter what.
You're on! I'll put a LC on my Rangers any day of the week!
Old 10-07-11, 02:17 PM   #57
Jrob78

Quote:
You are totally right about that Joe. The biggest advantage in my eyes is that this is the 3rd time recently that the cardinals hitters have see Halladays pitches. Not saying he won't mix it up, but I think the more times you can see a guys breaking ball, fastball, split finger, or whatever, the easier it will become to pick it up out of his hands. It will also make hiding the ball a little more difficult as well. On the other hand you can make this same point in the Pillies favor as well so I don't think it's so much of giving the hitters an advantage as it is just taking the advantage away from the guy on the bump. I wouldn't be surprised to see a pitchers duel but I also wouldn't be shocked if it was a higher scoring game than the ERAs suggest, we'll see.
I do agree with you. It's the same reason that a lot of pitchers roll along through the first 3 or 4 innings of a game and then struggle as they make their 2, 3 and 4th passes through a line up. Hitters are good at making adjustments, a good pitcher has to be able to stay one step ahead of the hitter and keep them off balance and guessing. There aren't too many guys that can do that consistently. Good pitching will still beat good hitting nearly every time though.
Old 10-07-11, 03:27 PM   #58
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
I do agree with you. It's the same reason that a lot of pitchers roll along through the first 3 or 4 innings of a game and then struggle as they make their 2, 3 and 4th passes through a line up. Hitters are good at making adjustments, a good pitcher has to be able to stay one step ahead of the hitter and keep them off balance and guessing. There aren't too many guys that can do that consistently. Good pitching will still beat good hitting nearly every time though.
Good pitching beats good hitting everytime is a line that I flat wear out from March through October, I say it all the time because I firmly believe it. I also believe that offense wins games but defense wins championships. So many people have fallen in love with the long ball, but they don't actually get what makes baseball great in my opinion. Sure seeing high scoring games is exciting but it's not really how the game was meant to be played in my opinion. Good pitching, good defense, and timely hitting is the best way to win championships because bats go cold at times but gloves never should go into slumps and if you can hang your hat on your defense and manufacture 3 or 4 runs a game you will be better off in the end than the guys who rely heavily on scoring a lot of runs to make up for weak pitching. A little off the subject here but it kills me how MLB has turned the game into a game for school girls. Remember when a high and tight purpose pitch to set up a back door breaking ball away was part of the game? Now days if you so much as act like you missed up and in on purpose both benches are warned. It's no wonder the scores in some of these games are so high, they took away the ability of the pitcher to own the plate and establish his ability to jam hitters, so now they are forced to live middle away and if they miss with their location it better be away or they will get the gate. Hitters can dig in knee deep if they want to know and they can feel pretty sure that they won't get brushed back. This turns into scoring frenzys but to me it's not how the game was meant to be played. If a hitter shows up a pitcher he should get plunked, if the pitcher needs to back a guy off the plate he should buzz his chin, if a guy is trying to score but the ball beats him by 3 steps he should lower his shoulder and take his lumps by running smooth over the catcher, and lastly I hate umpires warning benches because if they want to toss a guy then do it, but by warning him all you are doing is taking away the part of the strike zone he wants to live in because if he misses his location accidentaly he will get tossed. STOP WUSSYFYING BASEBALL! LOL. Back to the subject at hand though, I agree that both pitchers will need to make adjustments and mix up their stuff, but I think if either one makes a mistake they will pay for it...........both lineups are just that good.
Old 10-09-11, 01:05 AM   #59
carolina-rig-01

Congrats Rangers! That was some impressive work out of the pen to eat up some innings after a few rain delays, and that is no easy task. They owned Verlander tonight, which is also not an easy task (to say the least).
Old 10-09-11, 01:09 AM   #60
Jrob78

The 2 rain delays definitely screwed things up but to come out with a W on Verlander's start is great. He didn't seem as sharp as I expected him to be, I'll take it!
Old 10-09-11, 07:12 AM   #61
bcklash

It's gonna be tough for the Tigers now. But we can hope.
Old 10-10-11, 01:08 PM   #62
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
I like both the Rays and the Rangers, hate the Yankees and am not much of a Tigers fan only because they play in the same division with my Twins. I'd give anything to see the Yankees lose in the first round, even better would be if they were swept, so I'm rooting for DET in that series. I won't really be disappointed no matter who wins the TB-TEX series, but my prediction is that it will be TEX. Regardless, I'll be rooting for the winner of that series to reach the WS, and I'll predict it will be TEX over DET as the AL rep in the WS.

I don't really follow the N.L. all that much, so I don't have too much of a preference who makes it from that side. I guess I'm rooting for SL over Philly because my nephews down in IA are huge Cardinals fans, so that overrides the soft spot I developed for the Phillies during the years when my sis lived out there while doing her peds residency at CHOP. In the other NL series, I'll predict and root for MIL over AZ. And then MIL over SL in the NLCS.

Finally, I'll take MIL over TEX in a 7-game World Series.
Crazy...4 for 4 so far.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-11, 02:12 PM   #63
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Crazy...4 for 4 so far.
Well I hope part of it doens't go your way Dean. You picked the Brewers over the Cardinals lol.
Old 10-10-11, 02:17 PM   #64
Jrob78

Quote:
Well I hope part of it doens't go your way Dean. You picked the Brewers over the Cardinals lol.
and the Brewers over Rangers! No good!!
Old 10-10-11, 02:24 PM   #65
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
and the Brewers over Rangers! No good!!
Jrob and I are going to start a petition to get Dean banned from bassfishin.com hahahaha! Jk Dean, we would miss your pictures of the stud smallies you catch too bad lol.
Old 10-10-11, 02:37 PM   #66
Jrob78

Gonna miss you buddy!
Old 10-10-11, 05:05 PM   #67
WatterBoy

Quote:
Jrob and I are going to start a petition to get Dean banned from bassfishin.com hahahaha! Jk Dean, we would miss your pictures of the stud smallies you catch too bad lol.
Quote:
Gonna miss you buddy!
Ha ha ha! I'm due to get some wrong after how the first round went. Plus, if I would have picked who I *want* to win this round, it would have been both SL and TEX.

I have a few pics & stories from last weekend to share before you guys kick me out. Hopefully I can get those posted tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll have time or not.
Old 10-10-11, 05:56 PM   #68
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
I have a few pics & stories from last weekend to share before you guys kick me out. Hopefully I can get those posted tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll have time or not.
The clock is ticking hahahahaha!
Old 10-10-11, 06:17 PM   #69
WatterBoy

Quote:
The clock is ticking hahahahaha!
Well, the rain we are getting will help. Dog walking got cut short and yard work is now out of the question for tonight!
Old 10-10-11, 08:47 PM   #70
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That was an amazing game! Well done Rangers, and what a way to end it.

BB
Old 10-10-11, 08:51 PM   #71
Jrob78

Whew!!! Nelson Cruz hits a walk off grand slam in the bottom of the 11th!! That was intense!!
Old 10-10-11, 08:54 PM   #72
carolina-rig-01

It seems that Pujols thinks that hitting a two run homer in the 1st means he can halfass it the rest of the night. There is not another 1st baseman in the league that would have put for that kind of pathetic effort on a perfectly catchable popup in foul territory.
Old 10-10-11, 08:56 PM   #73
bcklash

Quote:
Whew!!! Nelson Cruz hits a walk off grand slam in the bottom of the 11th!! That was intense!!
Ouch!!!!!!
Old 10-10-11, 09:13 PM   #74
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
That was an amazing game! Well done Rangers, and what a way to end it.

BB
Quote:
Yep, it was a great game to watch. Can't believe TX didn't win it in the 9th!
Old 10-10-11, 09:25 PM   #75
Jrob78

Quote:
Yep, it was a great game to watch. Can't believe TX didn't win it in the 9th!
I know, I thought Beltre should have been able to tag up on the fly ball when there were no outs. He missed time at the end of the season with a hamstring strain so I guess they didn't want to chance it. I know there will be some second guessing as to why a pinch runner wasn't used in that situation. It was pretty maddening though. Thank goodness they ended up winning in the end. I just hope Colby Lewis can go at least 7 tomorrow, our pen is taxed.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.