Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-29-13, 11:52 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Tips and advice for buying a bass boat?

Yup, I aint joshing ya.

We recently sold my dad's Mazda RX8 he got from his deceased brother, so you're looking for a boat. We just caught an s10 today, so we finally have a truck again and something to tow a boat with.

Anyway.

Have ya'll got any advice for us when looking a boats. What should we look for, what questions should we ask, etc. I'm researching things to look for regarding used outboards and am basically making a check list of things to look for.

Here's couple of boats we're looking at... both fiber glass and aluminum -- but we'd prefer aluminum.

http://wausau.craigslist.org/boa/3895253198.html

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/3824633593.html

Thanks guys, we're looking to spend 3000 at the most by the way.
Old 06-30-13, 06:51 AM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My best advice is spend your money on the motor. The motor is the heart and soul of a boat. Find a motor with a proven track record that has not been in storage for forever. One that gets used on a regular basis will most likely be a winner. Then and only then look at the boat for any thing that would prevent you from fishing the way you envision.

I like tin boats for ease of towing and diverse fishing conditions.

But I own a glass boat too.

Capt Mike
Old 07-22-13, 08:14 PM   #3
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah, I agree with CM, engine, engine, engine, that's the expensive part. For starters make sure the outboard starts quickly, idles good, and has a good output from the water pump. If it's 4-stroke check the color of the engine oil. If 2-stroke make sure it don't smoke excessively. It has to be tested at top speed as well as idle. Check the boat to be clean inside and look at the underside to see how many rocks or stumps it has rammed. Check the transom motor mounting bolts to be sure the transom is in good shape. Check out the trolling motor at all speeds. Look the trailer over for rust spots, a good winch, a good front jack-wheel and look at the tires. Check you are getting a spare tire. If the boat has a live well check out the pumps. Also check that the bilge pump works. If electric-hydraulic tilt then run it up and down. Check the condition of the bunks on the trailer. Clean seats with no splits is a plus. Ask about an anchor. Always ask the seller to be honest with you and tell you what is wrong with the rig and why they are selling it. Maybe they won't lie to you -- LOL
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 11:57 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Of the two the tracker would be a better buy,often however they have a smaller motor than plate rating will allow,some even with out trim and tilt,try to get one near the plate rating.Do take out and try,and do check everything,it is however used so no dismay if a pump does not work,not big bucks.
The motor and a non leaking alum hull are the utmost.Anything else can be cured with some $.Nothing is ever setup exactly as you want it and it does cost to change.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-13, 01:42 PM   #5
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree, the Tracker does look like the best buy. I have had an aluminum Tracker, 17.5' with 60HP 4-stroke for 8 years, purchased new. It has never been in a repair shop. I did change the impeller once and once blew a 20A fuse. I take it out about once a week.
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.