Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-27-13, 11:22 AM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default trolling motor smoking

Minn Kota trolling motor started smoking this morning. Needless to say it quit operating.
Any ideas? It is a Minn Kota 70lb unit.
thank you
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-13, 12:42 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

At a guess its fried,make sure you place a circuit breaker in line,cost about 7-8 dollars that fit on troller battery.Your lucky it didnt continue on up the wiring like a cannon fuse.
You can check it with a volt ohm meter,and open head to make sure a wire didnt pop off the board.Where did smoke come from-motor or head.
If it came from the head,board problem possibly.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-13, 01:08 PM   #3
syd

It came from the foot pedal area. Basically to the left of the foot control.
Not the shaft part that goes in the water.
Old 07-27-13, 01:58 PM   #4
syd

Sorry bad info last post. As you are standing at foot control unit. Just to the right the smoke was coming up through the bottom. There is vent like formation smoke was coming through. Took off the bottom plate but couln't tell were anything was burnt.
Old 08-02-13, 08:37 PM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Small board ,rheostat switch,possibly even a toggle switch,jumper around motor should work like as on full.Basic same as a light dimmer switch.
There are factory auth repair places spread around the usa,one near me in Dover tn.A common thing one runs into is simple toggle switch(on/off) has been changed and not rated for the amp draw the motor puts out,most are but 15 a,120v,not made for 50/12/24.
If headed over this way I do have an older gooseneck omc 24/12 foot control 42 in id part with,as dont use foot control.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-02-13 at 08:51 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 12:16 PM   #6
merc1997

sounds like the smoke was coming from your speed switch. it is on the right side of the pedal on minn kotas.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 07:46 AM   #7
syd

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up taking it in to the only place around here that really knows about trolling motors. He basically is replacing the whole foot control unit. Said that was the cheapest way to go. Supposed to get back today or tomorrow depending on when parts come in. I also had him put in a circuit breaker unit. Still learning about boats. I replaced the brushes etc. in the shaft last year so after this i basically have a brand new motor. Will just hope nothing elese happens.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.