Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-09, 04:31 PM   #1
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy
Default Quick Bit of Insight For Upcoming Tournament

Have a tournament this weekend, northern Michigan, be lucky if it hits mid 50s. Never fished the lake( Long lake - Iosco county) About 500 acres and am told from someone who spends alot of time fishing it that its very good bass fishing in the fall, probably best of the year.

My need is some ideas to try there. I will probably have tied on: 1) drop shot, 2) pop r, 3) spinner bait, 4) ribbon tail worm carolina rigged.

Give me some other things I might wanna try this time of year, in case of failure, lol. This entire year has been kind of a failure so i would like to end it on an upside. I know you guys all have gr8 ideas, and i look forward to hearing some of them. We are leaving tomorrow morning to go up and fish the lake a lil bit before tourney on Sunday, so will be good to read some other things to try.

Ken

Last edited by kennsandy; 10-09-09 at 04:38 PM. Reason: because the bass forum editor told me i had poor writing skills basically.
kennsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 06:34 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ken, don't know that lake but I would say jerkbait, jerkbait and jerkbait. Maybe a little lipless crank as well. Are you going after smallies or large mouth? If it is smallies look for rock in 3-10' of water and hit them hard. I was going to fish Higgins on Saturday but with 20mph winds, I'm going to stay on some smaller water.

Good luck!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 07:38 PM   #3
WatterBoy

Fished with my nephews on a MN lake in temps that were mid-40s last weekend and had tremendous luck on lipless cranks in 6-12 feet of water. I would consider giving those a shot at some point.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 11:26 PM   #4
Bender

Is that the Long Lake near Hillman? If so get a hold of McCarter (Nemesis) on here. The group I go to Grand Lake with every spring used to go to that Long every year before I joined them. Even though it was spring when they went he should be able to give you some tips on the lake. If you want PM me with your phone # and I'll see if he can give you a call.

I would also be throwing jerkbaits and rattle traps all day long. Unless they are not hitting the moving baits at all, then try drop shot. If that is one of those northern lakes with hardly any weeds like it looks in the photos you might even try a blade bait like the old Silver Buddy or a Heddon Sonar. Good luck!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 06:33 PM   #5
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy

Ok, that lake just blew chunks like no other I have fished in years. I tried everything I could think and a few things that I haven't fished in years. According to some locals its really hard to fish, like the fish know any different than eating whatever they feel like when its there for them.

Between myself and partner we got a grand total of one bite in about 14 hours of fishing. The fact that Sunday morning was under 32 degrees just made it all worth it though, lol. What we were doing wasn't much different than what the locals said was good, yet we got notta. I really hope this isn't our last time out, lol, could really make the winter even longer than it will be anyway.
Old 10-12-09, 06:56 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I know the feeling , this weekend at the lake was awful. I can give ya some advise on the popR if ya need it in the future, its been my favorite lure for over 20 years. I've got all colors but always go back to the blk and white or blk and silver. I work it pretty aggressively and like to get it to spit water and bubbles as I go into the cadence of jerk jerk pause a second and then continue about three times. Just like any top water I throw over fish I've graphed or objects in the water, like trees or weed beds. I think they will hit the pop R any time of the day this time of year. Don't over look the big spook this fall either. Denny had it working great yesterday on brookville, it looked sweet "walking the dog". Pull and let some slack to get it to glide to one side, then repeat to go back to the other , repeat.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.