Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-09, 11:51 AM   #1
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fluke Hooks.

What about those weighted hooks?? I bet there would be a lot of flutter action to it, but when would be the right time to use these hooks with flukes. Thanks
Old 10-09-09, 11:59 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use keel weighted hooks when ever the fish are from 3-10' deep. You don't need much weight AT ALL, to get them to sink a little fast. 1/32oz - 1/8 (1/8 is still a little heavy) is all you'll need. It also gives them a little more of a side to side erratic action.
Old 10-10-09, 07:10 AM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbasspro View Post
What about those weighted hooks?? I bet there would be a lot of flutter action to it, but when would be the right time to use these hooks with flukes. Thanks
I have found myself using the gammy 5/0 ta 6/0 monster hooks on flukes when i wan extra weight . They don't really hamper the baits action and also do not rip up the nose as much since there is no weight to pass through it .

Jim
Old 10-10-09, 08:10 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

When I use a weighted hook, I use these:

The weight, being thin and spread out, doesn't tear the nose of the bait up too much. Always wet the lead before sliding it through the plastic, like lubricating your knot before you cinch it down. For normal size flukes, I use a 5/0. I'll use 1/16oz when fishing down to about 5-6'. Any deeper and I go with an 1/8oz. to get the lure down a bit faster.

If you're really worried about the lead ripping up in the head, push the eye of hook into the head of the fluke backwards. So instead of threading the lure on to the hook, just push the eye in there the hook would come out of the head after you start to thread it through. I hope this makes sense, it's hard to explain.

Another option is a small weighted swimbait hook with a spring keeper. That way, all that you have to do is thread the spring into the head of the bait, no hook or lead. I like the Owner Weighted Beast swimbait hooks because I like the centering pin in their spring keeper. I do believe they come in a 4.0 w/ 1/8oz.

BB
Old 10-10-09, 11:36 AM   #5
danielbasspro

Thanks guys im trying them today.
Old 10-10-09, 11:48 AM   #6
BeaverIslander

The weighted hooks make the bait fall more horizontally than putting a weight on the line. But I haven't found them to catch more fish. I use a bullet shaped split shot in 1/32 oz at the head of the fluke if I want to get it down in the 5-7 ft deep range.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-09, 02:08 PM   #7
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Like BB said, don't push the lead throught the bait.... heres a video to explain what he meant... I think

http://www.bassedge.com/media/show/K...-+Swimbait+Tip

Ryan
Old 10-10-09, 02:27 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
When I use a weighted hook, I use these:

The weight, being thin and spread out, doesn't tear the nose of the bait up too much. Always wet the lead before sliding it through the plastic, like lubricating your knot before you cinch it down. For normal size flukes, I use a 5/0. I'll use 1/16oz when fishing down to about 5-6'. Any deeper and I go with an 1/8oz. to get the lure down a bit faster.

If you're really worried about the lead ripping up in the head, push the eye of hook into the head of the fluke backwards. So instead of threading the lure on to the hook, just push the eye in there the hook would come out of the head after you start to thread it through. I hope this makes sense, it's hard to explain.

Another option is a small weighted swimbait hook with a spring keeper. That way, all that you have to do is thread the spring into the head of the bait, no hook or lead. I like the Owner Weighted Beast swimbait hooks because I like the centering pin in their spring keeper. I do believe they come in a 4.0 w/ 1/8oz.

BB
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Lead is poisonous, don't do it! They have still wd-40 things ina. You can put them in you pocket too, just say a little on there before you thread the hook on. Works better and safer!
Old 10-10-09, 06:24 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Bassboss,

I can appreciate you being aware of the toxicity of lead. However, the solubility of lead in human saliva is about as close to zero as you can get. Unless you're lubricating your weight by swallowing it down to your stomach (which has lead-dissolving acid in it), then puking it back up, you're going to be just fine.

I would never advocate putting WD-40 on lures, because that does indeed pollute the water.
Old 10-10-09, 08:53 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Like BB said, don't push the lead throught the bait.... heres a video to explain what he meant... I think

http://www.bassedge.com/media/show/K...-+Swimbait+Tip

Ryan
Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to explain. Except I've never threaded the hook first, but I seems like it would help a lot. I'll have to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Lead is poisonous, don't do it! They have still wd-40 things ina. You can put them in you pocket too, just say a little on there before you thread the hook on. Works better and safer!
Like nofear said, you aren't gonna get lead poison from licking the lead. If you still are worried, just spit on it, lol. Fishermen have been biting split shots closed for years too.

BB
Old 10-11-09, 07:16 PM   #11
TnTom

I keep a small pill bottle with a mineral oil soaked cloth. quick wipe, lets them slip right on. I suppose some of those scents, a drop on the lead, would work good to. Or just lick em

That video is good. I like that, who woulda thunk it!

Last edited by TnTom; 10-11-09 at 07:21 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 01:04 PM   #12
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

The video does a great job of showing how to rig any soft plastic bait on a weighted keel hook. No need to tear the plastic, just put the point of the hook through like you were rigging texas style and then back the hook out and take the line tie end and push through the hole that you made. Quick, simple, and easy to do without tearing the bait from trying to push the weight through the soft plastic.
Old 10-12-09, 02:59 PM   #13
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron49 View Post
The video does a great job of showing how to rig any soft plastic bait on a weighted keel hook. No need to tear the plastic, just put the point of the hook through like you were rigging texas style and then back the hook out and take the line tie end and push through the hole that you made. Quick, simple, and easy to do without tearing the bait from trying to push the weight through the soft plastic.
I'd heard of this before but was trying to do it to a tied line. Like I've said before ya can't fix stupid
Old 10-12-09, 08:17 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
I'd heard of this before but was trying to do it to a tied line. Like I've said before ya can't fix stupid
The line isn't the problem, Tom. It's trying to get those rod guides and reel handle through that really hurts.
Old 10-13-09, 12:09 PM   #15
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
The line isn't the problem, Tom. It's trying to get those rod guides and reel handle through that really hurts.
Fell out of my chair when I read that

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.