Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-09, 06:50 AM   #1
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I went back to "old School " worm hooks

Hey Fellas; I have gone back to the old school worm hooks,pictured below. I have noticed my hook up ratio using worms and trick sticks has gone up a lot this way. I still use EWG hooks for some thicker baits, but have gone back to these for worming and trick sticks ( Senko). What about you?
Attached Images

Last edited by muddy; 09-27-09 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling, what else????? :)
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 09:22 AM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Muddy I find myself using straight shank hooks on creature baits, worms and senkos lately . It does seem easier to hook up, although wide gap hooks still have their place.

Jim
Old 09-28-09, 08:40 AM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd like too! I had one left from a while back, and thought, "what the heck, I'll just use it to get it outa here." But after using it for a good while, I noticed that my bit to hook up ration was better. So I think I'm gonna try to switch from EWG, and use J and off set form worms, and more slender baits. Check out this poll from while back. http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=21265

Welcome to the forum btw!
Old 09-28-09, 01:07 PM   #4
muddy

Thanks for the link, I am new here and did not realize it has been discussed recently
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 01:12 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Thanks for the link, I am new here and did not realize it has been discussed recently
Hey, it's ok, no hard feelings!
Old 09-28-09, 01:17 PM   #6
Raul

That ainīt "old school" Muddy, this is old school:

Man, they have the worse bait sliding down the hook problem you can imagine , thatīs what I used back then during the age of the dinosaurs.

For my slender baits ( like worms ) I fish mostly with off sets, for very thin worms ( like Zoomīs SS U-Tales ) I use thin wire hooks ( regular wire hooks rip the bait to pieces when rigging ), for thicker worms ( like Culpritīs Ribbontails ) I use regular wire hooks.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 10:09 PM   #7
bamabassman

raul......i remember using those myself.

and i never STOPPED using straight shank hooks. perfer them when fishing with lizards. seem to slide along the pads and grass easier than wide gap hooks. hangs up less often. just my 2 pennies worth.
Old 09-30-09, 10:50 AM   #8
Jrob78

I do think you get slightly better hookup ratios with offset hooks but it is hard (for me) to get your bait straight. I hate rigging up a worm or Senko and having a big hump in it. I try to rig my baits in as straight a line as possible. With EWG hooks the eye and hook point are in a straight line making this easy, which in turn causes the hookup problems.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 12:47 PM   #9
rangerryan

I still use the straight shanks with a dab of superglue when im flipping bulky baits. I have abandoned ewg all together if a big bass bites an ewg and gets it far enough in his mouth to get his lips over the bullet weight when I set the hook the bullet weight pops open the mouth before the hook can stick him. That is my theory anyway. So Ill stick with the regular offset and the straight shank hooks.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 02:11 PM   #10
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryan View Post
I still use the straight shanks with a dab of superglue when im flipping bulky baits. I have abandoned ewg all together if a big bass bites an ewg and gets it far enough in his mouth to get his lips over the bullet weight when I set the hook the bullet weight pops open the mouth before the hook can stick him. That is my theory anyway. So Ill stick with the regular offset and the straight shank hooks.
You use Super Glue, the Lord provided us south across the border guys with what seems an endless supply of thorny huizache brush to do the same, no need for hi tech super glue or toothpicks.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.