Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-09, 03:11 PM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What about these jigs and spinners for Bass?

We all know about jigs with trailers, rubber, silicone, and bucktail for bass, but what about jigs with marabou?

I made these jigs and spinners for salmon but after I made them, I started wondering if perhaps bass might find them worth striking.

The beads on the orange spinner are the same, but they glow pearly blue when light shines through them.
The bell one has a metal body inside it and the one with the green bead has what I call a snowman body.

I have had success with pink bubble gum worms. I know salmon hit pink so I'm going to give these a shot against some smallies too.

Still have some more to learn. I know the yellow one is ugly (it was my first one tied) but I hope that it is something the fish, either salmon or bass will find enticing enough to bite on.

Let me know what you think or if you've tried marabou jigs for bass. It couldn't possibly be something new.

Planned tactics are regular jigging or with a float.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-09, 03:47 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

IB,

Bass will certainly hit those. Think about it...if they'll hit a piece of broomstick with trebles screwed on to it, they'll hit anything.
Old 10-15-09, 08:36 PM   #3
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

NoFear hit that one right on the head
I would suggest that if you use maribou use a lot of it. It looks huge out of the water and vanishes when wet.
I have a couple of pictures handy using maribou showing it wet. These when dry are huge, i mean like ten time the size of your and no criticism meant just a comparison.
I guarantee you the bluegill and crappie won't leave you alone. Do just what your doing but get thick and longer. If you find them nipping the tail pinch off a little but usually that isn't a problem THICKS the trick with Maribou.
I love maribou and tie a lot of it. I'll find some pic's with it dry and all exploded. These pics didn't get as big as I thought they might.

Maybe these second pics will show what i mean about the difference between wet and dry. Ya man bass love maribou. I usually do better with Chartruese but it just depends. somedays its green someday black or combinations. Try also tying on some Hen Hackle in front of it.
One more thing. When you buy your maribou watch for the stuff called "blood quill" maribou. its a "type" not a reference to color. BPS carries it. Its a little better for a streamers and undulates (SP) a lot more than none blood quill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFSR  Woodbury 6 22 09 007.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	4376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mar 2009 duck wartrace pt 5 002.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	4377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maribou Streamer.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	4378   Click image for larger version

Name:	market0725.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	4379  

Last edited by TnTom; 10-15-09 at 08:54 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 09:57 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

At one time I used to catch tons of LM bass on a 1/4oz maribue jig with a 6 inch lizard trailer. I highly recommend you give it a try around mid depth weedbeds.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 10:44 PM   #5
BeaverIslander

Good looking flies. I used to tie a few of those for the river smallies around here. Now my buddy does it and I pay him a few bucks here and there.

I've always had good luck on natural colors. Try olive with gold and red tinsel, and gray/white with olive and red tinsel. Wet wading with a small 1/32 oz fly and a 5-8 wt flyrod is a ton of fun.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 12:44 AM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks, guys.

Tom,

You were spot on!!! I initially thought that I tied on too much. Then as soon as it hit the water, poof! The feathers did undulate with a twitch though.

I also see you fly fish. I am very afraid to try it. I am afraid that I will gain a new passion and leave spinning and casting gear to collect dust. I think I might try fly fishing next year. It is definitely cool to watch, so I imagine it's even cooler to do.
Old 10-16-09, 10:21 AM   #7
muddy

Nice Jigs: I have a friend, older than me, he uses nothing but bucktail jigs for bassing and he is sucessful. I have tried them, cool feel and action, I prefer a jig head and a plastic ( jig and pig types of rigs) but those jigs will definitley catch bass.
I have seen some fellas throw these in the Delaaware and Lehigh rivers, and catching I do not have first hand experience with that specific type of ball jig with the feathers.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 12:19 PM   #8
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Thanks, guys.

Tom,

You were spot on!!! I initially thought that I tied on too much. Then as soon as it hit the water, poof! The feathers did undulate with a twitch though.

I also see you fly fish. I am very afraid to try it. I am afraid that I will gain a new passion and leave spinning and casting gear to collect dust. I think I might try fly fishing next year. It is definitely cool to watch, so I imagine it's even cooler to do.
Another good way to tie on your maribou when using a jig head (works well on a beadhead or fly to) is to tie on the maribou, maybe chartruese, in the reverse direction (facing the bead), 4 or 5 wraps then tie it off, finish the jig wrapping the "normal" direction with the base color like green or black maybe red. When it hits the water it will flair out wildly and slow the fall at the same time. The fly I showed is really my go-to Smallie fly for slower water.

Try the fly rod. I alway keep one or two in the boat with me and almost always see whats happening when I finish casting or spinning a spot. If the bite is slow its easy to pick up a bunch of pan fish to or even a bass that was tired of looking at the same ole stuff. A ton of fun. I'll fish with the fly rod thru the winter wading the creeks and tailwaters. I can handle the cold if Im wading but dont do well in the boat. You won't replace one for the other.

Lets see some more of your jigs.
Old 10-16-09, 12:27 PM   #9
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

They look like prime smallmouth baits to me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.