Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-11, 10:42 AM   #1
coachpurdy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default valuable lessons learned

I've only had my boat for aboat 6 months so I guess I am still learning.

Last week the temps were in the high 60's so you can imagine what it was like having to work all week and how I was itching to go fishing. Well I finally got my chance on Saturday, the first I've had off in a while, so I got on the phone early to try to find someone to go with me. My fishing buddy had to work and another friend had to work until lunch. I told him I would wait because I needed to respool some reels and put new hooks on baits anyway. About lunch I called him back and he was running late so I decided to go alone. I left in a hurry trying to save what little daylight I had left and about thirty miles down the road my education began.

1. If you know that you need new trailer tires don't wait, purchase them now.

2. Don't assume that the lug wrench for the pickup will fit the bolts for the trailer.

3. When taking lug bolts off with a wrench there will always be at least one that will strip.

4. Always make sure that there is air in the spare tire

5. There is still nice people out ther who are willing to stop and lend a hand.

The day wasn't totaly lost though, I got home and went fishing in a local pond and caught about 20 or so. I caught several 2#s and was happy to be outside for a change.
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 12:39 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It pays also to carry fix a flat,easy to reinflate the spare while its off the trailer as no weight on it.
Ps always put the plug in yourself do not accept help,and recheck electrical cord to make sure its unplugged from charger prior to pulling out.
Been there done that ,most of us have,think its called a learning curve.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:05 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When you get home from the lake and turn the key in the boat over so you can see what the fuel guage says, remember to turn the key off or you will be in for a suprise the next time you go to "top off your cranking battery".
Old 02-04-11, 02:17 PM   #4
cassidyta

Welcome to the club of lesson's learned. I have made almost every dumb mistake with a boat in the past year.
One that I will add for things to keep with you is a spare trolling motor prop. They are just as cheap if you buy them ahead of time.
Old 02-04-11, 06:44 PM   #5
bamabassman

as cass said......welocme to the boating school of hard knocks buddy. i guess everyone has gone through the same thing as oyu did. we are in a hurry to go and "assume" everything is A-OK..........then murphy slaps us like a red headed step kid. sorry bout your troubles, but now you should be ready..........you are right? lol.
Old 02-05-11, 06:04 AM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Sounds like my kind of day there, Coach. We need a "Lessons Learned" sticky on here hahahaha.
Old 02-05-11, 09:42 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Welcome to the club of lesson's learned. I have made almost every dumb mistake with a boat in the past year.
One that I will add for things to keep with you is a spare trolling motor prop. They are just as cheap if you buy them ahead of time.
I always carry a spare trolling motor prop with me. Haven't had to use it yet knock on wood but last year in a Triton Championship we were in my buddys Champion and we ended up needing his spare prop for the trolling motor. Then just as he pulled the prop off the nut that holds it on fell in the water lol. He had a spare nut also so we were back in business in a minute or so.

The nuts that hold the trolling motor prop on are another good thing to carry spares of.
Old 02-05-11, 10:00 PM   #8
bcklash

This thread is eye opening and I'm all ears.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.