Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 02-10-11, 03:16 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Talking The March Towards Bankruptcy Continues....

Like I needed another expensive way to fish....

I just ordered my first fly rod and reel.

A Sage VT2..got $200 off on clearance at Cabela's, as Sage has discontinued them. 9'-0" of blue heaven. The quality of the cork grip is so far above anything I have ever fished before.

A Ross Evolution LT3...

Unfortunately, this is a newer model, so no clearance on it. I spent way too much, but at least I got free line and backing with it.

So as soon as I learn to cast well, I can start acting like a total elitist snob, right?

Last edited by nofearengineer; 02-10-11 at 05:54 PM. Reason: OMG, I used the non-word "gotten".....
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 03:19 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice catch! I haven't been fly fishing in a long time, which sucks as we have some great trout streams in northern MI.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 05:59 PM   #3
bassboogieman

AWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww no not a FLY rod. Fooofooo for you, next you'll be pulling feathers out of your boa to make lures.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 06:09 PM   #4
bamabassman

boogieman......i gots 5 flyrods man. love em too.

bryce, there you go again man. oyu gotta stop this before lisa sees it and sends me packing. hahahhaa!

nice outfit for real. i hate you, you know that?
Old 02-10-11, 07:16 PM   #5
lilmule

Casting isnt hard to learn,one loads the rod with the line like a pole vaulter then lets the rod take the line out,when done correctly there is snap or whip like action.
Timing forearm action not arm strength action,
Easy way to learn to cast is strip out some line,put newspaper under cast arm in say armpit, grip not letting it go,pickup with free forearm is from 9 to 12 oclock(pause) ,The rod loads to about 2 pm(pause lets line trail out from rod other direction no snap),cast forward to 10 oclock(pause),then drop rod to about 8 or 9,,later someone can watch and see no pause,and cast gets gradually longer.
I dont use a tippet,I use a leader in other words 6- ten pd test mono depending upon species targeted and size flies used.cant get a number 16 or 18 on a 10 lb line easy.
Double hauls,roll cast all come in time.Its timing not strength.
And the more effortless it is the longer one can cast and stay fishing.
That said and a day of a lead core 9 weight comes to mind,that you will get sore afterward.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-10-11 at 07:24 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 07:27 PM   #6
nobass

i went fly fishing once them little suckers are hard to cacth in mid flight. nice set up i have my great grandfathers old set up its is bamboo with a old micthell reel. it is hanging on the wall. story goes he use to make them so i have ben told was quite the buy sold them for 20 dollars with out reel.
Old 02-10-11, 07:30 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i hate you, you know that?
Oh, I know Bama....I know.

Lilmule, I understand all the mechanics, false casting, shooting line, double hauling, etc.....as usual, I've "researched" it til I go nuts. I just haven't done it, so no muscle memory yet. I'm looking forward to practicing. I'll probably do a lot of it from the bow of my boat when the fish aren't biting. There is always the driveway.

Mine is a 6wt. I am still figuring out all the leader and tippet stuff. There's almost too much information out there.
Old 02-10-11, 08:17 PM   #8
lilmule

A tippet is tapered casts better and can tie on a size 22 redquill,but after retying half a doz times it just wont go thru the eye,using just mono for larger flies its level same diameter,keep changing until its to short.Something like a number 10 stimulator works well not only out west but in ky,nc,tn,quite well.Bright yellow goofus bugs in an 16-18 do as well,and are easy to tie.
The reasoning for the newspaper is to remind you it the arm really isnt needed,try it for 15 min then ditch.Size 10 and 12 also take gills and even though its a 6 wgt try a number six wholly bugger on bass-skykomish sunrise,orange body yellow hackle.
Once you get a really good fish regards less of species you will love the flyrod.
Most likly get more-different weights I have a 5 and a 7 did have an 8-9 later used with dahlburg divers getting 10 pd stripers and one 50 in musky on the ohio river.
That I think is the key fishing in a manner that isnt hard,if it is your doing it wrong.
That most likly is the reason why many give up,the rod throws the line the line casts the fly,not you with physical strength,just your timing,letting the eq do it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 09:44 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
next you'll be pulling feathers out of your boa to make lures.
Actually....I DO have a reliable source of gray and red feathers....

Bitty's like "WTF?!?"
Old 02-10-11, 10:11 PM   #10
bassboogieman

You got another bird? Good for you, another African Grey. I knew a guy who had several parrots, a Grey, Geeen Amazon, and a Cockatoo. I thought it would be cool to have one, but the thought of a pet bird OUTLIVING me, cooled my jets pretty quickly.

And I'm busting your chops on the fly rod thing, you know that. That's how I started fishing, as a young teenager on the local trout streams. At that time I knew nothing about bass, trout on flies and pan fish on a spinning rod was the extent of my fishing.
I would say that I prefer casting gear and fishing for bass, trout fishing around here lasts about 2 days after the season opens then they're cleaned out. Don't think I'd ever go back to a fly rod, but that's me.
Old 02-10-11, 10:25 PM   #11
bamabassman

B E A U T I F U L BIRD BRYCE!!! i'll bring a couple of my fly rods to wheeler. they ain't hih dollar rigs, but i like em cause they're old.
Old 02-11-11, 10:34 AM   #12
bassboogieman

Fly fishing - are you going to need some Alabama roadkill as bait, y'now to bring them in to casting distance?
Old 02-11-11, 03:39 PM   #13
Captmikestarrett

Ok so what do you plan to catch with a 6wt?

Capt Mike
Old 02-11-11, 09:27 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
Ok so what do you plan to catch with a 6wt?

Capt Mike
Trout and Bass. Nothing huge.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.