Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 01-19-11, 06:42 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default It's Showtime!!!

It's time to do my bidding for the Bait Monkey and try to seperate you from your hard earned cash!!! The Richmond Fishing Expo is this weekend at the new State Fairgrounds in Doswell, VA (Exit 98 off 95). The event is in the Farm Bureau Center which is 65k square feet. Typically 10,000 people come by to visit each year..
So bring some $$$ and stop into Pappy's booth and say hello. I'll be there on Friday and Sunday. Depending on the weather I may be there Sat but we'll see. I may have to work my regular job .
Denny Brauer, Woo Daves, and Pete Gluszeck will be there to speak. Guy Eaker usually stops in to visit and I'd expect a few more Pro's will be there.

Capt Mike - How was Timonium?? Did you do as well as last year?? Were people looking or buying? I heard that there weren't as many tackle vendors there. True?
Old 01-20-11, 12:36 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Good luck 3d! May the Bait Monkey be with you!
Old 01-20-11, 07:30 PM   #3
bassboogieman

I was thinking about Richmond, one of my friends was doing one of the seminars, and working a booth. Unfortunately he suffered a minor heart attack last Friday and underwent surgery Monday to have two stints inserted in two coronary arteries that were about 80% blocked. He was very lucky to get the warning - he's ONLY 43 years old. A terrific guy, and one you'd never expect to have heart issues. I guess you really never know. Because of that he won't be at Richmond, and I doubt I'll make the 4 hour drive now.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 10:38 AM   #4
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

That's terrible, bassboogie! Glad to hear that the issue was caught in time!
Old 01-21-11, 08:35 PM   #5
3dkicker

Met Denny today. Showed him a little Fish'n Art. He liked it. Talked to him about Tru Tungsten. Got some interesting info that I'll share next week when I get a chance.
Old 01-21-11, 08:48 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

The Timonium show was poorly attended and tackle venders where only 4 maybe 5 booths. All the tackle guys lost money as you need a lot more people to make ends meet. But I got some good return customers and added four more new customers to my bookings. In total I did 20 some days of trips. It was down from last years record of 32 days but ranked #2 in 23 years at that show. If you give me time I will sell you a trip.

Pappy has a really cool new horney toad and it was the hottest lure of the show..

3d we have a Kevin Bacon 2 degrees of separation with Pappy..

Perhaps Dave could chime in and splain Lucy..

Capt Mike
Old 01-21-11, 10:18 PM   #7
3dkicker

I sold a couple of his horney toads today!!! He also gave one to Denny who loved it and is going to give it to his wife for her birthday....

I'll take a pic and post it on the web it I can. You know this is a family oriented sight and it may be removed .

I've got to work tomorrow all day but will be down there tomorrow. It was well attended today and sold some stuff. Not a great day but tomorrow I'm expecting will be very strong. Saw some good stuff today walking around but didn't have a lot of time to shop.
Old 01-22-11, 08:47 AM   #8
bamabassman

smitty, i loved the art work man. and were oyu haning with DENNY BAUER? awesome man.
Old 01-22-11, 09:16 PM   #9
3dkicker

Yep. He was hanging out in Pete's booth. I asked him how his new career as a Chippendale was going (a reference to one of his shows). He got a laugh out of it. I then asked about his Flippin' Weights and Tru Tungsten. He said that they owed him some money and really didn't know who was in charge of the company or if they still existed since one of the owners (the one who did all the finances) died. Rumor had it that they were working out of a garage and were deeply in debt. He did say that Strike King was in the process of coming out with "something" that would work.
We talked about some other things and I invited him down to the booth I was working in and surprisingly he said "sure let's go". He hung out with Pappy and myself for a little bit and I showed him Donnie's stuff. He was impressed. Probably could have gotten a pic but I can get one tomorrow.
Old 01-24-11, 08:39 AM   #10
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
I sold a couple of his horney toads today!!! He also gave one to Denny who loved it and is going to give it to his wife for her birthday....

I'll take a pic and post it on the web it I can. You know this is a family oriented sight and it may be removed .

I've got to work tomorrow all day but will be down there tomorrow. It was well attended today and sold some stuff. Not a great day but tomorrow I'm expecting will be very strong. Saw some good stuff today walking around but didn't have a lot of time to shop.
Not your everyday HORNY toad. (start making mental pictures) Giggety!
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 09:08 AM   #11
syd

I went to the Richmond show last year. Huge disappointment after a 4-4-1/2 hour drive. Went through the whole thing in about 30 minutes. Then went to Bass Pro shop and Greentop which are both about 10 minutes away. But i will be going to the Greensboro show weekend of 25 Feb. Don't know what has changed as in years past this was really a great show. If anyone knows of any other shows withing 4 hours of Roanoke Va. please let me know.
I have seen Smitty tubes at at least show and bought some of his tubes. Hopefully he will be at Greensboro.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 01:33 PM   #12
3dkicker

No plans to be in NC. How'd those tubes work for you??? Hopefully better than the show and lasted longer than 30 mins .

The Richmond show, like many others, had hit on hard times. Last year was much better than 4 years ago. Slowly it has rebounded but I don't think it will get back to the way it was. Costs to get booth space and then man them have gotten out of hand. That's why I like the small shows or flea market type events. $15-35 for a table and 500-1000 people through the door. They are coming to buy, not look, and a couple of good sales and I've made my table fee and rest is profit.

Heads up! SFT is having their big sale in March. Everything is 10-50% off. At the store in PA or online. They had some great baits for sale. Not much discounted but good selection of some of the newer plastics and crankbaits.

Got a chance to play with G. Loomis' newest rods (TFO) and picked up the catalog. Very nice rods. Not as expensive as I was expecting.
Old 01-25-11, 08:53 AM   #13
syd

I bought 2 different tubes from you. Black & green pumpkin. I would really like to know more about the small shows and flea markets you do. If you have any info on those would appreciate it. Some of these days when it is too cold or everything is iced over that would get me out of the house. I don't have any problem driving a few hours if it is worth it. Richmond was just too far for the end result. Although the BPS and Greentop did save the day. Sorry you won't be at Greensboro. But hopefully will run into you down the road.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 04:30 PM   #14
3dkicker

The other shows (flea markets) are small shows that are one day type deals or small two day events. Not as big as the Roanoke, Richmond, or NC type shows.

Having Green Top and BPS right up the road helps those who make the longer drives. Sorry it wasn't as good as you expected. I did the Roanoke show a couple years ago and I was one of only two tackle retailers so Richmond has that one beat. You should seriously look into putting a flea market together for your area if you don't have one. You'd be surprised at the number of people who'll show up. Expect small and start with dealers you know who'll bring quality stuff. High Schools, Ruritan clubs, and other civic groups have buildings that will give you the space if you let them run concessions. Takes a little work but worth the effort. A small bass club could run one easily and make $1000 or so in a half day.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.