Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-06, 11:55 PM   #1
Futurepro22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22
Default Getting Sponsored?

Hey everyone! I'm fishing many tournaments this upcoming season. And my entry fees are rediculous!! Can anyone give me advice on how to get a sponsorship? I dont want /need a full one, just to help me pay for the expenses.
Thank you!
Futurepro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 12:18 AM   #2
Bassgrl81

Send a message via AIM to Bassgrl81 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassgrl81

On Bassresource.com's forums they have a section for you to post your "resume".

Good Luck!!
Trista
Old 01-12-06, 12:19 AM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurepro22
Hey everyone! I'm fishing many tournaments this upcoming season. And my entry fees are rediculous!! Can anyone give me advice on how to get a sponsorship? I dont want /need a full one, just to help me pay for the expenses.
Thank you!
how old are you
Old 01-12-06, 12:21 AM   #4
Futurepro22

where at on the site?
Old 01-12-06, 12:22 AM   #5
Futurepro22

19 years old... but dont let that fool you.. i have a 19ft nitro, i fish fishers of men, numerous of local tournament circuits and this year i'm fishing the BFL
Old 01-12-06, 12:22 AM   #6
Futurepro22

as of now my entry fees will be over 1100 bucks... and thats not including all of the local tournaments either
Old 01-12-06, 01:06 PM   #7
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I Have Two Pro Cousins If You Want Sponsored Just Fish Well In Small Tournaments And Get Your Name Out There They Will Find You. But You Can Also Send Your Resume To Different Tacklmakers Or Wherever You Want. Good Luck.
Old 01-12-06, 01:51 PM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

One way you can get a partial sponsorship is to contact your local boat dealers / service shops and see what they will cough up for entries in exchange for some advertising...I've seen guys have painted ads on thier boats but more often then not just wear a shirt with the sponsors name on it. Its going to take dozens of partial sponsors to foot your expenses.
The general rule of thumb back when I was sponsored is that they will give you a year or two to prove yourself..and I am talking the bigger sponsors.
At your age and level of fishing your going to have to really win a few bigger tournaments to get noticed...and then have to deal with the pressure of performing..remember..there's lots of guys out there and on any given day each can out fish the others...so Good Luck!
I got noticed through many many hours of community events, such as cast for kids and kids derby fishing here on a local level, plus having my results printed in the paper for B.A.S.S. Federation tournaments I was in in Ohio (region5)..plus while on the water you run into many with boat problems, so in exchange for some entry fee money from the boat dealers around here, you constantly tell other anglers about the boat deal/service shop , hoping they will go there and tell the dealer that you sent them there for service. That trick works wonders.
Also keep in mind that during tough economic times like we have had since 911, money is tight all over, I'd have to think that theres little "extra monies" in the budget for many
boat dealers, after all boating is a luxury that not all Americans can afford.
You can also contact line manufactures or lure companies and pitch your sale to them..
Heck, at least you have a dream to pursue .

Last edited by JB; 01-12-06 at 01:57 PM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 03:51 PM   #9
Futurepro22

thanks for all the info. I know i'm probably not going to get any sponsorships, but i'm trying. I think that most businiesses just think that I just want there money, and that i'm not good at fishing b/c of my age. I hate that. People think I suck b/c of my age. I'll admit that i dont know as much as a guy who has been fishing for 40 years, but i've fished against guys who have that much experience and kicked their butts. I've limited out and they didnt even catch a fish. Most guys just think it is luck. Its not. I know my stuff! I just hate it when I get judged and get looks at tournaments like... what the heck are you doin here... your just a kid!! I love it at the end of the tournament when I kick thier butt, I love the reactions and looks on their faces! Revenge is sweet. I know not all anglers all like that, but a majority look down upon me b/c they think I dont belong there at their level. Sorry to go off like that. Just had to vent.
Old 01-12-06, 04:02 PM   #10
JB

What type of tournies are you getting in? for example a local lake...or local bass club? or FLW? or BASS or Federation?...the higher up you go in tournies the stiffer the competition...I've trained a few 19 year old that were pretty good to begin with. all they needed me for was showing them the new lakes to prefish.
Old 01-12-06, 04:04 PM   #11
Futurepro22

I'm so into pursuing my dream. I"m majoring in Fisherie Sciences at Penn State. I fish many local tournaments. I also fish the Fishers Of Men, and the BFL
Old 01-12-06, 04:05 PM   #12
Futurepro22

oyea i also fish the pa bass district events
Old 01-12-06, 05:54 PM   #13
JB

Sounds like a great start, hang in there with school, I am sure you're on the right path to bettering yourself and the fishing game.
When you do finish well in a tournie, call a local paper and see if the sports writer is interested in some bass fishing news, can't hurt to inquire.
The more time you study and put time in on the water, you'll stay right on type of the feeding and migration of bass, a key element to winning IMO.
Old 01-12-06, 07:09 PM   #14
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i hate how people judge me to because of my age

the people i fish with are wereing shirts with sponsers on them and here i am wering my zeppelin shirts and out fishing them numerous time think just because i am 16 i dont know how to fish
Old 01-12-06, 07:44 PM   #15
Futurepro22

Like tom petty once said

"In a world that pushes me around, I'm gonna stand my ground and I wont back down when "
Old 01-12-06, 08:43 PM   #16
bass kicker

i am also looking for sponsers for this up coming season i have a couple places that will probaly sponcor me

i can only hope
Old 01-13-06, 09:21 AM   #17
WIbassfisherman

Put your resumes out there indicating your successes. You'll also have to market yourself to them the way they would want to see their product marketed (if you can make sense of that). You have to have charisma, fishing success and ability, and the ability to communicate through speaking and written language. No better place to practice that then on these forums. You should be able to capitalize your sentences and spell correctly. At least take the time to do so. It is a reflection of yourself and your potential sponsors. My 2 cents.

Also start local with your successes and those places you would like to represent. To get someone to foot your entry fees right off the bat isn't really realistic to start off. You might get some free tackle which saves your own money to put towards your entry fees. This IS, however the best time to go about locking those people in. With sport shows and the like, you have the opportunity to start "working for them" now.

Keep in mind the current trend in non-fishing sponsors that are sponsors. Look at your local bar and grills, etc. A lot of them sponsor softball teams, etc. why not fishing teams or individuals?

Good luck and stay at it.
WIbassfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 12:01 PM   #18
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I suggest you contact the companies that produce your favorite tackle first. Let them know about your loyalty to their product. They are not immune to flattery. Also, if you can get some press about your success make sure to mention to the writer who's brand it was that made you a winner!
Old 01-13-06, 01:06 PM   #19
TackleTester

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

I'm 17 and have 4 sponsors. It's not that difficult you just have to work hard and do everything that you can for them without giving up when you get rejected. Cause you will get rejected for the sole purpose that not everyone is looking for Pro-staff or Field-staff members. That's the best advice I can give you. Good Luck!!!!!!

Brian
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-06, 07:56 PM   #20
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I sent you an IM at aim
Old 01-13-06, 08:00 PM   #21
bass kicker

are you sponcered by assult because your name is not on there sponcer list
Old 01-13-06, 08:08 PM   #22
WTL

Good luck Futurepro. Its a tough road, but it sounds like you may have a chance. In order to attract sponsors you need to command attention - winning tourneys is one way - but have you considered guiding to get your name out?
Old 01-13-06, 08:10 PM   #23
bass kicker

what would you suggest for some one who has only fished youth tourneys
Old 01-13-06, 08:13 PM   #24
WTL

Quote:
what would you suggest for some one who has only fished youth tourneys
A newspaper route.
Old 01-13-06, 08:19 PM   #25
bass kicker

i have 3 real jobs and i have placed quite well in the tourneys that i fished so i dont need a paper route

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.