Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-28-09, 10:09 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Tournament prefishing

Got out after work today with the Major to do a little prefishing for the tournaments this weekend. He's doing the Wounded Warrior tournament on Sat and I've got a LAPR on Sun. He didn't do so well in the last club tournament so we went looking to put him on a decent pattern and I needed to confirm that I was locked on.
First location we hit some spatterdock, watching for lightning since ther was a storm in the area, and we both hooked up with some nice river bass but only one small keeper (15" fish). We ran across the river and stopped on a main river drop off since we witnessed a bolt inland on the MD shore. The major picked up one short fish and spotted a 4-5lb fish. Turns out to be a Snakehead.
We ran into a main creek and fished some grass. I hit my second Horney toad bass of the year and he picked up another short on a crankbait. We're catching fish but not what we want. Time to make a decision. We make a short run and start working some spatterdock with incoming tide and the fish are turned on. Here's a sample of what we caught.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	090528_192406.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	3660   Click image for larger version

Name:	090528_192933.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	3661  
Old 05-28-09, 10:14 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

nice fish. I love the hat too!!!

BB
Old 05-28-09, 10:29 PM   #3
bamabassman

it just amazes me that you were using a crank by the grass 3d. i NEVER get a bite with that bait around grass. great job. hat is cool too.
Old 05-29-09, 09:10 AM   #4
3dkicker

Bama -that's no ordinary crank . That right der is a Baby One Minus in Grey Ghost. The best crankbait on the river now that the shad and/or white perch have spawned. Schools of bait fish are roaming the shallows. The hydrilla is emerging and the milfoil is matted up so this bait works very well in skinny water over the hydrilla around the base of the spatterdock. 3' off the spatterdock point to the left of the bass is where the fish hit. The Major (USMC-Ret.) caught all of his on a fluke type bait.
Old 05-29-09, 10:05 AM   #5
Bassboss

Great fish man! I really gotta get me a 1-. It's been on my list for a long time, I can't seem to find them at gander though.

Great hat too!
Old 05-29-09, 03:47 PM   #6
3dkicker

Gander Mt. has got to have them......I think you're getting monkey blinded by all the other flashy baits. Put the sunglasses on and get yourself two colors: Grey Ghost and Fireshad. That's all you need.

I caught 20 bass and missed a couple in less than 4 hour on two baits. The Baby 1 and the Kaotic Potomac Punisher. Best fish was 3.5 and it was on the crank.
Old 05-29-09, 03:57 PM   #7
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Gander Mt. has got to have them......I think you're getting monkey blinded by all the other flashy baits. Put the sunglasses on and get yourself two colors: Grey Ghost and Fireshad. That's all you need.

I caught 20 bass and missed a couple in less than 4 hour on two baits. The Baby 1 and the Kaotic Potomac Punisher. Best fish was 3.5 and it was on the crank.
smitty, this close and does the blade leave a bubble trail or whats the advantage? thanks
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 02:40 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post

Sweet! I went back to gander and found them, but unfortanetly I was broke!
Old 05-29-09, 07:09 PM   #9
bamabassman

thanks 3d. gonna try that on my nest trip out ok? again, thanks man.
Old 05-29-09, 09:13 PM   #10
3dkicker

JB - That's it, 3/8 oz, minus the skirt/trailer and I add a Knucklehead Shad skirt and a Bass Assassin Sea Shad in Crystal Shad. I haven't seen a bubble trail at all when the bait gets back to the boat. The holes reduce the friction so maybe the vibration is quicker and the bait moves faster through the water. But I normally use 5:1 Curado which slows the bait down. I have been using a 6.3:1 Torno and I caught fish too at the faster speed. I fish it on Mono and normally 14 to 20lb XT or Big Game. I've never bought another brand to compare since I do so well on this one.

Bama - Good luck with it. Not going to guarantee anything since I couldn't get bit on it last week . All I know is that they were busting it yesterday. You could see them coming towards the bait before they hit.
Old 05-29-09, 09:15 PM   #11
bamabassman

thanks 3d. thanks for the tip really.
Old 05-30-09, 07:54 PM   #12
JB

the bassassin shad huh? thats what I've been looking for, didnt know what worked well on the chatterbait, I tried the fluke and it looked good but no hits. Plus I already have knucklehead skirts on all my blade baits, no to get a drill out and experiment with some holes lol
thanks smitty
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 09:24 AM   #13
3dkicker

The combo accounted for another 3 and 4lb bass this weekend. Unfortunately we needed a couple more that size to get into the money. I also lost one about 4lbs on a Paca craw and busted another off. And I lost a Punisher as the knot broke on the cast and didn't catch a bass afterwards . We only weighed 13.17 and needed 17 or so.
Old 06-01-09, 07:43 PM   #14
3dkicker

See I told you.

Now you have to upgrade to BMDS (Bait Monkey Defense System)......

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.