Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-09, 04:54 PM   #1
jig fisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default got skunked or shorts.. 7 days in a row

from july 3 to the 10 i went on a vacation to raystown lake to go fishing. Normally the water is in the 80's and the hydrilla is thick but this year the weeds were dead and the water was in the mid 70's. We typically do pretty well on the rock walls where its 40+ feet deep 20 feet fromk shore using little crankbaits but got next to nothing this year. All i got was one little bass on a tube jig. We also tried near the dead weeds and got a couple and my dad got a 2 two pounders one day near the weeds and submerged logs. On the days i didn't get skunked i got one on a wacky rig and one on a dt4. I think part of the reason we didn't get many was because there was a full moon that week and there was shad everywhere so the bass were probably just gorging themselves on the shad and we couldn't specifically target bass because my sisters woul have gotten bored if they didn't get a sunny every 2 minutes or less. the water was also less clear than it normaly is(there's probably 6+ feet of visibility normally). We did try the dam one day where there was 20+ feet of visibilty so i tried little swimbaits and all i got were sunnies. I did have a 2+ pounder on the night before we had to leave but he jumped and threw the hook on a zara spook. If anybody has any ideas on what i should have used that would be greatly appreciated. And thanks to whoever read the entire post because it was longer and i probably rambled on for a little while there.
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 05:53 PM   #2
swimbaitkid

never had that happen to me that many days in a row,but if i were you I would try everything or just stick with the basics.When I dont have a fish by 10-11o clock in the morning I just go fishing, and tie on a million different baits,if i think they will work
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 05:56 PM   #3
jig fisherman

The only bait that i didn't try was a shakyhead and carolina rigging. It might have been the colors i was using or the way i was using the bait but tried just about everything else that i had.
Old 07-16-09, 10:36 PM   #4
swimbaitkid

shaky head works if there isnt too much grass and the water color is right
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 10:43 PM   #5
jig fisherman

I probably would have tried that if we hadn't spent most of our time fishing rock walls
Old 07-17-09, 01:43 AM   #6
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sadly I have been there. Even worse, it is now three tourneys in a row where I have not caught a measurable fish.
I spent a lot of time replaying the situations in my head and honestly, I don't plan to change anything. I know my techniques work this time of year and even in the lakes I was fishing.
For me, I decided to quit trying to overthink it. I am going to go to the next tourney with a plan and stick to it.
I know that is not really the advice you asked for, but it is the best I have.
Old 07-17-09, 08:24 AM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Yeah, I haven't been doing good lately either. Now it's the perfect day to fish, light rain, light wind, cloud cover, and I gotta babysit for my uncle... OH well, I'm going night fishing tonight. BUZZBAITS BABY!

Better luck next time!

BB
Old 07-17-09, 11:09 AM   #8
jig fisherman

what color buxxbaits do you use bigbassin? We tried a little bit of night fishing but i didn't get any.
Old 07-17-09, 11:52 AM   #9
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

For the original poster... I would suggest maybe ledge fishing along the channel or around the mouths of coves, maybe a 3/8 oz jig or finesse worm? Heck try drop shots.. Assuming of course you were fishing in a boat.
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-09, 11:57 AM   #10
jig fisherman

Yes we were in a boat and i wanted to go and try the ledges but my younger sisters wouldn't and we were without a depthfinder for the second half of the week because some idiot made us back into a stump and the transducer broke.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.