Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 07-20-09, 03:21 PM   #26
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Hey Jeff,
great looking fish my friend!
and welcome to the site

I havent caught a keeper in awhile now...tons of pressure in the areas I fish out in TX...but i rarely get skunked,so im doing something right i suppose.lol

poker player eh?....lol...I play alot of poker myself....usually host a cash game twice a month at my house so i dont get rusty...
cheers!

Walker
Go to Lake O the Pines,its good I caught a 7 & 8lber there this summer,throw a buzzbait any color and get out when it turns day light,after about 9 am the bite gets tough
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 04:11 PM   #27
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
Go to Lake O the Pines,its good I caught a 7 & 8lber there this summer,throw a buzzbait any color and get out when it turns day light,after about 9 am the bite gets tough

your talking about out in avinger,tx,right? my fishing buddy bought property on lake of the pines last year...havent fished it yet,and he's building a cabin on the property early next year......its about 2hr drive for me ,i believe..
the past couple of weeks ive been restricted to hubbard lake and lavon....niether is producing much

swimbait,you live in TX?
Old 07-20-09, 05:14 PM   #28
swimbaitkid

No my cousins live there I was at there house for 2 weeks,we fished lake o the pines and cadoe,i like lake o the pines better,if i coulda weighed my limit in a tournament I woulda had 18-19lbs before 10am,they absolutely crush the buzzbait where all the grass and pads are up the lake. if u get out there tell me how u do
Old 07-20-09, 05:30 PM   #29
WaffleJaw

Quote:
No my cousins live there I was at there house for 2 weeks,we fished lake o the pines and cadoe,i like lake o the pines better,if i coulda weighed my limit in a tournament I woulda had 18-19lbs before 10am,they absolutely crush the buzzbait where all the grass and pads are up the lake. if u get out there tell me how u do
yea hopefully during the fall,ill get to hit up more lakes......im a fan of caddo lake....thats a good size lake and the only natural lake in TX,always have a good day out there...its been awhile.

I just talk to my buddy who owns property on lake of the pines....he said it only gets pressured during a tournement,other than that, doesnt get a whole lot of fisherman on it.....thats good to know!
Old 07-20-09, 06:41 PM   #30
swimbaitkid

its an awesome lake,caddo is like santee copper where i live in south carolina and i never do good at the lakes where there is 300 million trees and it all looks the same,that place is so thick with grass its not even funny,but theres a some fish in there for sure
Old 07-20-09, 08:37 PM   #31
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Take me to erie and we will catch a couple good smallies,I used to catch some nice smallies up there(had 2 over 6lb's) one was 6.8 & the other one is 6.3
There's a world of difference between Erie, which is just about as far south as you can get in Michigan, and where he's at in the UP, or even where I'm at, for that matter.
Major differences in temps and winter
Old 07-20-09, 09:06 PM   #32
swimbaitkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
There's a world of difference between Erie, which is just about as far south as you can get in Michigan, and where he's at in the UP, or even where I'm at, for that matter.
Major differences in temps and winter
they still get big,it just takes them longer,thats why they get big down south is bc they have a long growing season
Old 07-20-09, 09:35 PM   #33
MallenManson

Quote:
they still get big,it just takes them longer,thats why they get big down south is bc they have a long growing season
That's exactly the point. It takes a LOT longer. So a lot of the fish never even sniff the size a lot of you warm state guys are accustomed to.
It'd be very interesting to see how long it takes a michigan bass and a florida bass, for instance, to reach 10 pounds.
Old 07-21-09, 12:10 AM   #34
catch2288
BassFishin.Com Member

[QUOTE=Bender;259103]I go to Ironwood every year in January to ski and see lots of those lakes when I am driving by. I always plan to go there in the summer but it is an 11 hour drive from here. I've even been to Hurley a time or two.

Hmmmmm......I don't know of any ski hills in Hurley......oh.....OHHHHHHH What happens in Hurley stays in Hurley......lol. I think you would enjoy the trip up in the summer. Our summers only last approximately 3 weeks, but it's a great 3 weeks. Never gets too hot, tons of lakes to fish, all the hiking a person could handle and of course there's Hurley....lol.
catch2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 10:08 AM   #35
swimbaitkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
That's exactly the point. It takes a LOT longer. So a lot of the fish never even sniff the size a lot of you warm state guys are accustomed to.
It'd be very interesting to see how long it takes a michigan bass and a florida bass, for instance, to reach 10 pounds.
they for sure do not get as much pressure up north as they do down south and they do get just as big(2-10lb range) it just takes them longer i think there is more big fish up north than down south,depending on where you are
Old 07-21-09, 10:27 AM   #36
nofearengineer

Quote:
they for sure do not get as much pressure up north as they do down south and they do get just as big(2-10lb range) it just takes them longer i think there is more big fish up north than down south,depending on where you are
SBK...come on, dude. Take a look at the record books. I would bet you not one bass out of the top 1000 biggest largemouths EVER have come out of lakes north of Kentucky. (Japan excepted )

The world record is 22lb 4oz, out of Georgia. The Indiana record is 14lb. 4oz. The Michigan record is 11lb. 15oz. See a pattern here?

I mean, if there's this so-called "lack of pressure" on the bass up here, and the bass supposedly grow just as big, we oughtta be able to walk across the lake on the backs of all the lunker bass. I guess we're just not trying hard enough lol.

I'm not knocking southern bass fishing..but man, give credit where credit is due. A 3 lb largemouth in upper Michigan is a nice fish. That's roughly one fourth of the maximum size for the area...kind of like a 5.5 lb'er in the South.
Old 07-21-09, 10:57 AM   #37
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
SBK...come on, dude. Take a look at the record books. I would bet you not one bass out of the top 1000 biggest largemouths EVER have come out of lakes north of Kentucky. (Japan excepted )

The world record is 22lb 4oz, out of Georgia. The Indiana record is 14lb. 4oz. The Michigan record is 11lb. 15oz. See a pattern here?

I mean, if there's this so-called "lack of pressure" on the bass up here, and the bass supposedly grow just as big, we oughtta be able to walk across the lake on the backs of all the lunker bass. I guess we're just not trying hard enough lol.

I'm not knocking southern bass fishing..but man, give credit where credit is due. A 3 lb largemouth in upper Michigan is a nice fish. That's roughly one fourth of the maximum size for the area...kind of like a 5.5 lb'er in the South.
And the state record for LM in MN is only 8lb 15oz. When I catch a 3-4 lber here, I feel like I just caught the equivalent of a fish twice that size (or more) from a state like FL, TX, CA, etc.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 12:53 PM   #38
swimbaitkid

Quote:

Hey I will take a 3lber any day down here,I struglle on lake murray and clarks hill.but those lakes are so messed up its not even funny.I would rather fish up there than down here but im moving to north carolina so im excited to see some new lakes.but you dont know what pressure is untill you go to california or lake murray come april or may
Old 07-21-09, 01:20 PM   #39
nofearengineer

Quote:
Hey I will take a 3lber any day down here,I struglle on lake murray and clarks hill.but those lakes are so messed up its not even funny.I would rather fish up there than down here but im moving to north carolina so im excited to see some new lakes.but you dont know what pressure is untill you go to california or lake murray come april or may
Oh, I will agree with you about California. When I found out there are lakes where they only let 100 fishermen per day on, and they each pay a hefty fee, I was like WTF?!?! Southern California is so like that. They have managed to create a totally artificial environment (everything, not just fishing), package it all up nice and pretty, regulate it, and sell it. There's a ton of stuff to do out there, and I love visiting, but I don't think I could ever live there.

Any chance of you making the next event? You could school us with your awesome talent, or we could school you some. Either way, it would probably be a blast. Let's just pick a lake where swimbaits don't work.
Old 07-21-09, 01:29 PM   #40
swimbaitkid

Quote:
Oh, I will agree with you about California. When I found out there are lakes where they only let 100 fishermen per day on, and they each pay a hefty fee, I was like WTF?!?! Southern California is so like that. They have managed to create a totally artificial environment (everything, not just fishing), package it all up nice and pretty, regulate it, and sell it. There's a ton of stuff to do out there, and I love visiting, but I don't think I could ever live there.

Any chance of you making the next event? You could school us with your awesome talent, or we could school you some. Either way, it would probably be a blast. Let's just pick a lake where swimbaits don't work.
I will for sure! i just got my lisence and i will bring my boat up,i will do anything to catch fish,but you better keep me away from swimbaiting,froggin,and pitchin flooded brush.jk those are my favorite techniques.But yeah im looking forward to it.lets go like to a tough lake or to a great lake.what lakes u think we might go to?how bout champlain,its got a little bit of everything
Old 07-22-09, 07:29 PM   #41
MallenManson

Quote:
When you get to NC, find me a bottle of Cattlemen's Southern Gold BBQ Sauce. Can't get it around here, it's Carolina style sauce and I'm dyin to try it!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.