Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-07-13, 10:08 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Arrow Opening weekend report!

Tough fishing was to be had opening weekend here in Wisconsin. The results seemed unanimous on Saturday, everyone I talked to said the same thing... nothing. Bass, trout, pan fish, or pike didn't seemed to mater what you were fishing for. I personally spent 10 hours without a so much as a sniff. Couple spots on the lakes and the one on the river.

Sunday was a bit better... unfortunately I couldn't get on the water till about 2:00 pm though. Talked to a couple people who said the fishing had been pretty good before noon. Talked to a tournament guy named Bob, who said that a couple bags around 15lbs had been weighed in.

Despite missing the hot bite, I was able to get one: 5.7 lbs, and 23 inches on a purple jig with a black trailer. Well worth the time I'd say and a good way to start the season!! (Weight shown is in ounces.)

They're still staging a little deeper, but they'll be moving up in big numbers come this weekend. Was able to catch a nice male up shallow after my baseball game today as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	profpic.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	8729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0217.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	544.5 KB
ID:	8730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0220.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	494.6 KB
ID:	8731   Click image for larger version

Name:	horzbass.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	535.7 KB
ID:	8733  

Last edited by Bassboss; 05-07-13 at 11:43 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 07:22 AM   #2
keithdog

Your off to a good start Sam. Keep those photos coming! Congrats
Old 05-08-13, 08:51 PM   #3
bamabassman

that is just wonderful sam!! glad you picked up where you left off pal.
Old 05-08-13, 10:25 PM   #4
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice fish, Sam! Glad you caught a nice one after all your perseverance.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 07:40 AM   #5
lilmule

Yup good fish,cabin fever is over.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 08:54 PM   #6
Bassboss

Thanks guys! The water's warmed up aallot since last weekend. I'd say it was up as high as the 60's. Caught a nice 3 pounder on a buzz bait wednesday after practice with a couple guys from the team.

Got some chilly rain all day to day so it may drop a bit I think the fishin's still gonna be pretty good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	390713_554227314599736_1338816431_n.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	8737  
Old 05-10-13, 03:02 AM   #7
joedog

Default Wi. follow up

Sam congrats on your bass!

First off, my friend has been KICKING my arse.
Fri, May 3 my Doc released me from the klink with the understanding that I would go home and take it easy. Ya right.
Opening day on the 4th. Good plan Doc.

So Sat. trying to follow the Doc's idea...I didn't fish till 6:30 am.
Hey, I'm willing to do my part.

So reaching the first bay to warm where last year I told you there were like a dozen Rangers and Phoenix bass boats. You know, the average day on the water wading with a 1/2 million dollars worth of bass rides.
Anyway, no boats, no fisherman and yes NO fish...sorta.

I waded the banks for about four hours and there wasn't a single new bass bed. Not ONE. I didn't scare up even a single sunny.
So when walking up the like quarter mile trek up the stream/creek to reach the lake I noticed the Northerns were pooling in the deepest portion of creek, 20 ft. by maybe 10ft. maybe 4ft. deep. On the way in I actually got out of the water to avoid messing up their spawn or so I thought.
Half a dozen anglers fishing chubs and such now at this hole. Not one fish caught. Hole had like 20 plus Northerns in it with a few like 4lb. Walleyes too.

Not having any tieable wire along I was hesitant to play but what the hell, I could loose one $1.25 hook. (Trokar). Had a 4/0 on one I was fluking with so thought if I played right I could hook them quickly so they would hit hook and not line.
First cast...Bam, 24 in small 'snake' as we call them.
Next three casts, strike after strike. Then came all the questions from the anglers. While explaining to one young lady what was going on and how to duplicate it, while reeling fluke in, got bit off.
Hey I love to fish but...I LOVE pretty girls even more!

So back to the car and on to the next spot.

Fished under a bridge that leads to bay hoping for some current.
No current at all.
After worming, wacky, Texas rigged, 4in., 5in., weight less, weighted and so on with not so much as a twitch on the line.
Decided before leaving to throw a lipples. 1/2 hr. later a caught a 4.2 pounder...camera safely in the car so no pic.
No more bites other than a Bama Bass.

Next morning I went back with ONE INTENTION and ONE rod plus tie-able wire.
Insanity followed.

Seventeen Northerns, 3 over 3ft long. Most in the 20-28in range.
Decided to fish a Ribbit, made sense to me.
Insanity continued. If you think topwater bassin is fun, try topwater Nortern fishing in shallow water.
I actually could watch these things follow the Ribbits chomping and following just short. Crazy fun and yes would have been a great Go Pro flick.

3days latter after two days of sun, the beds are made and even saw a few females with the males fanning their bellies to instigate egg release follow by the females rolling. Cool stuff to watch especially when they are doing it right in front of you standing waste deep in the water.

So the Good Lord has allowed me another year of fishing and trust me...I INTEND to do just that!

For those interested I will be sharing the Kayak stories soon....guaranteed to bring some chuckles and smiles and maybe even a few surprises.

Good angling to all and Dan, great crow joke!
Old 05-10-13, 08:01 PM   #8
lilmule

Nice looking forward to that yaking
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.