Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-13, 09:52 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default First Day on the Lake

Some of you know I'm teaching a friend of mine how to fish this year. I figured we need something to do besides study, lol. Well we finished up finals on Thursday, got some gear and the boat together that night. We left my house at 7am with the boat in tow. Wanted to get there by 8 when the DNR shows up to get my MI state parks pass.

We were on the water by 8:15. I was letting the motor warm up when it slowed way down and stalled... Long story short, the float in the carb was stuck. I thought we fixed it last year when my dad and I took the carb apart after we had the same problem. I hit it a few times with a wrench and after a couple tries, it stopped spewing gas and the engine ran fine.

Water temps were warmer than I expected, so I headed to our favorite shallow back bay to check how the weeds and pads were growing. No pads yet, but plenty of weeds. I started the fishing lesson for the day with a couple knots. Tied on a couple of jigs and went at it. Nothing but weeds. I tried a spinnerbait, with no luck.

We made a move to a shore with a few good laydowns. My buddy wanted to pick something to fish, and ended up with a T-rigged lizard. a few casts in to the shore and he hooks one. He quickly lands his first, although small, bass. It was skinny and about 12-13". He was psyched regardless! I hooked another small fish on a spinnerbait.

We found an area with less weeds and started throwing lipless cranks. We each got one on those. I switched to a swimjig with a 5" paddle tail trailer and almost immediately got another fish. He was maybe 10-11" about twice the size of the swimjig. I hooked another on the swimjig, a bit bigger, but not a keeper.

My buddy ties on a swimjig and lands another small bass. I hooked into a keeper, but lost him at the boat. My friend caught one more on the swimjig before we called it a day.

Overall we got 4 each, but not a single keeper. I was glad he caught some though. He's looking forward to getting out on the water again. Also he's doing pretty dang well on a baitcaster already, using one of my old ones and a few from my current arsenal. But I can see the monkey lurking already.

He's got pictures of his first couple fish on his phone, but I didn't get anything picture worthy. So no pics, sorry.

BB
Old 05-04-13, 10:12 AM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Congrats, Anthony, on gettin' out there! That's cool that you're teaching your friend to fish and also that you both caught a few, even if they weren't keepers.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 07:02 PM   #3
bamabassman

hey anthony, like dean said....you got out there. i STILL haven't been able to get my boat wet...UNDERNEATH that is. the top side is SOAKING wet from all the rain we have been getting.
Old 05-12-13, 12:59 AM   #4
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I hit it a few times with a wrench and after a couple tries, it stopped spewing gas and the engine ran fine.
BB
Another mechanic that thinks like me!!!
Old 05-12-13, 09:59 AM   #5
keithdog

Glad to see your back on the water. I hope the school year was a good one for you. Time to start posting pics of your catches now!
Old 05-12-13, 01:17 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Thanks guys, it did feel good to get out on the water.

Keith, school kept us really busy and this was our hardest year yet. I will get pics the next time we get out. My friend tried to send me the pics of his first bass, but his iPhone doesn't like to send pics to my droid for some reason.

BB
Old 05-13-13, 08:18 AM   #7
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice to get out,nice to have company and for a first time catching bama fish is better than no fish,As for the wrench been there done that,just dont hit so hard you crack the float bowl.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.