Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-13, 04:04 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Back on the River again!

Got out Friday afternoon with the Major. We checked out a couple spots and caught a fish here and there but didn't put anything together. I got off my snakehead slide (haven't caught one in a while) at the second spot with a 2lb fish. Picked up a short bass too. Hit another area and the Major caught the first keeper, we have a 15" min, out of some pads/duck blind combo on a senko. No other bites out of a normally productive pad field. Tide wasn't right or the fish just haven't gotten there yet.
Headed across river to a spot the Major had done well on the weekend before. I switched up to a shallow running crankbait and kept my rod high to keep the bait from digging into the old grass on the bottom. Half way back to the boat the bait was crushed and the rod bowed. Big fish!!!! Then my drag started singing, the water was being churned up, and the Major states the obvious.....Snakehead!!!. Yep I had a monster on!! I've caught them up to 10lbs but none had bowed my rod and stripped line like this one. Finally I tired the fish a little and I got a look at it. It was big but not that big Why the battle? It was hooked in the side!!!! No wonder. It was still the biggest to date being in the 10-12lb class. Not the 16-20 I was expecting. Ok, pulled out the billy club and gave it the old Lizzie Borden. More dinner!!!

We worked a couple areas and the Major had more luck with the bass than I did and we headed off to yet another area that I like. Things were slow until a 2lb kitty hit my Punisher so I added it to the fish fry. Worked a little more and caught my third snakehead of the day. Not big but around 3lbs and it got a head ache like the last two. Finally stuck a good chunk bass around 14" but it had a 2" laceration on it's side. Looks like a bird or snakehead got hold of it.
It was getting dark so we headed back. One last area before the thunderstorm hit. I threw a Potomac favorite of mine and stuck a nice keeper and the Major hit two keepers as well on a custom bluegill trap. It was a nice end to the day with plenty of fish to take home.....or trade for dinner perhaps

Last edited by 3dkicker; 05-13-13 at 04:12 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-13, 04:57 PM   #2
joedog

Great to hear you finally got out to fish the river!
Even better to hear you caught a good meal!

Major using a Donnie trap?
Old 05-14-13, 03:12 PM   #3
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Major using a Donnie trap?
Yeah for some reason he's got it in his mind that he needs to be throwing a 3/4oz trap. I can't argue with him since he's catching fish on it. It's one of Donnie's bluegill patterns.
Old 05-14-13, 06:08 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

niceeeeeee smitty. as for the slithery snakehead, i don't care HOW good it is to eat. if i caught one i owuldn't eat it. kill it and let the other fish eat it, hahahaha!!!! tit for tat ya know?

and maybe oyu need to fololow the major's que....hehehehe.

glad oyu got to go pal. i hope to get out more in the VERY near future.
Old 05-15-13, 02:59 PM   #5
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
niceeeeeee smitty. as for the slithery snakehead, i don't care HOW good it is to eat. if i caught one i owuldn't eat it. kill it and let the other fish eat it, hahahaha!!!! tit for tat ya know?

and maybe oyu need to fololow the major's que....hehehehe.

glad oyu got to go pal. i hope to get out more in the VERY near future.
Trust me the bass get their revenge on the snakehead fry. And sometimes the Major gets caught up with a bait and it comes back to hurt him. He can be a stubborn jarhead.....but he has put me on some good baits too.
Old 05-15-13, 09:21 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Got
I would throw a methiolate worm if not for fear of someone I know seeing me kinda like living in constant fear of accidentally hearing a Justin Bieber song and liking it.
Old 05-16-13, 03:51 PM   #7
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I would throw a methiolate worm if not for fear of someone I know seeing me kinda like living in constant fear of accidentally hearing a Justin Bieber song and liking it.
My only concern would be if you were wearing a pink hoodie and you were throwing it under bridges......

I've had pros laugh at me until I started whacking bass on it, Joe Balog, and then ask me for "one of those stupid worms".
Old 05-16-13, 08:42 PM   #8
lilmule

Looks like a glowing pink to me and tossing in da right place in pads an under bridges,aint goin thar about the pink hoodie.
And of course you whack bass on it,try a pink frog,sumo.deps
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 08:54 PM   #9
Bassboss

Sounds like it was good day! That's definitely a nice snake head too!
Old 05-16-13, 10:23 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That's one bright worm man! and a nice bass!

Nice sized snakehead, hope it was tasty!

BB
Old 05-18-13, 11:30 AM   #11
3dkicker

Don't be skeeered to throw that worm. You'll be surprised on how well it does. I use it in clear water (relatively) on overcast days. Especially along pad/grass/channel edges. I love it when it's there one second and gone the next......

Snakeheads and catfish were traded for Shrimp Lo Mein and General Tso's chicken dinners. Still have leftovers.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.